Caribou Gear

Wallow Question...

BrowningBLR

Long story short, I found a wallow 3 weeks ago in Idaho. I have never hunted over water before. I put up a cam. I checked the pictures yesterday and have 6 different bulls. No cows/calves or any other animals on the cam besides the bulls. 2 had been there this past Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (4 hours before I grabbed the chip). I know the opener should be good and they will still be around. I plan on hunting it the first 4 days. And then I wouldn't be able to be back until the very end of September...

My question is, would the wallow still be a good spot to be hunting if I came back September 28th-30th? My concerns are that there were no cows on cam and that by the end of September the bulls may have moved on and not using the wallow anymore... what do you guys think? Thanks.

By September 28th, animal movement and location can/likely will have changed a lot. Honestly, at that point in the season, the bulls should be so vocal that sitting on water would be my last thought.

By September 28th, animal movement and location can/likely will have changed a lot. Honestly, at that point in the season, the bulls should be so vocal that sitting on water would be my last thought.

Great advice. That's how I usually hunt, just wasn't sure how a wallow/water changed the situation. Thanks. Hopefully I don't have to worry about it and can catch one at the wallow this weekend!

I have a follow up question. I am going to be archery hunting in CO starting this weekend. If I find an active wallow how much time does one typically spend sitting on it? I will only have 4 days to hunt and am new to sitting over wallows. Thanks

Depends on how actively it's being used. That's where a trail camera is a HUGE benefit. I've spent several days sitting on wallows that suddenly went cold for some reason or another. Now, I rarely sit on one unless I know it's actively being used and I know the elk are in the direct vicinity.

I tracked a bull that was hit for a mile before he dried up. He was heading for this "tank". The tank turned out to be about a 20' diameter mud pit with a little water. Water was a debate able term for it. For about a week we had animals hit it every day. Our group took a 6x6, a 5x5 and the original bull showed up in between those two. That was a big wallow that they were hitting every day, for the days we were there . But it was also one of the only water sources around in an area with tons of scrub and almost no hunting pressure. Each situation is different. I've sat at wallows and more often than not didn't see anything.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back