Wait...That Ain't Right

Coop

I have always heard stories of things showing up where they aren't supposed to be, and I have had an encounter or two myself, so I am curious as to what you guys have encountered that just didn't seem right. An example...my dad had a goat tag in the Crazy's in the early 2000s and there was a Grizzly running around the area with multiple sightings. Another, I was on an afternoon hunt in the Bull Mountains north of Billings a couple years ago and thought I saw a cow...the cow turned out to be a really nice black bear that I muffed the stalk on. Just wanting to hear some surprising stories!

Saw a bobcat and a badger while deer hunting - not unusual for WI. However, both were on the edge of subdivisions within a mile or two of a Walmart in Green Bay. Nearly fell out of the stand both times. Also saw a bear track there too. It had a 4” front pad.

For you guys who don't know Texas this may not seem weird, but I once found a random beaver wandering a draw about 15 miles from Midland. (It's kind of dry there...)

For you guys who don't know Texas this may not seem weird, but I once found a random beaver wandering a draw about 15 miles from Midland. (It's kind of dry there...)
I know west Texas a bit and that is definitely weird! I had a river otter come by my treestand last season a good 3/4 mile from any water!

So a couple of archery seasons ago, I was hunting in snow. I saw a bunch of ravens flying down the ridge, and heard a coyote or two howling, so I go down there to investigate. As I'm approaching the site where all the commotion is coming from, I see a wolverine turn around, look at me, and bolt. I continue up to the carcass of a bull Elk that some lucky archer had taken. They used the gutless method and left plenty of meat and other eatable things for all this predators to show up. As I was standing at the carcass, I hear all kinds of sticks breaking, and growling noises. I'm standing there with my bow over my back in a sling, dumbfounded, when the tree not 5 yards away a black bear slides down and hits the ground running. he ran about 10 yards and sat on his rump and looked bewildered. I first thought about shooting him, but then realized I was a long ways from the truck and really didn't want a bear right then.

Jumped a lion out of a cottonwood on the bighorn river while hunting ducks. Moose in the Breaks/Larb Hills. Haven't seen one yet but have came into some serious piles of bear scat around Broadus.

I was lucky enough to pull a few hogs out of the woods around here, at a time when many hunters refused to believe there were any pigs in Indiana, just rumors and myths.

Came across a bull elk coming out of one of my stands on an urban deer hunt here in Iowa. I was doubting what I saw until I talked to the local DNR officer and he told me he had been looking for it for a couple days.

One of two bull moose in my neighborhood in the last 8 years. I live in west central Wisconsin several hundred miles from the nearest established population

Is that the one that had to be moved because it was becoming a little to friendly with some horses?

Washington has plenty of black bears, but in the area where I farm there aren't any - at least there shouldn't be. I was coming home from cutting/windrowing beans at about 2:30am, driving around a sweet corn pivot way too fast and there was a bear sitting on his butt in the middle of the road. I avoided hitting him somehow and then started wondering just how potent sleep deprivation is or if that really was a bear. The next day he was in my son's yard, then spotted a couple more times on the farm, then he apparently moved on to more suitable bear habitat.

Driving down to grocery store from deer camp in PA at lunch time. I slowed down passed all the flat lander camps to see what they have harvested. At one I see a flatty proudly getting his picture taken by what was not a whitetail deer. I whip around to investigate and it was a massive fallow deer that escaped from a farm about 15 miles away. Two kids had no idea. They were all excited to show the elder flattys when they got back to flatty camp. We just said way to go and left...lol. It eventually made the newspaper.

I had no idea they would be in that area.
A number of years ago before the DNR admitted there are mountain lions in Wisconsin my dad and his friend had an encounter with one. Of course at that time it was blamed on the family size bottle of Kessler they consumed that day!!! Eventually trail cameras proved those goofs correct.

Last edited:
I know some people in Laramie that swear they've seen wolves around.

Came across a bull elk coming out of one of my stands on an urban deer hunt here in Iowa. I was doubting what I saw until I talked to the local DNR officer and he told me he had been looking for it for a couple days.
Davenport?

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back