Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Vortex Nomad 60 MM or theron saker 60

Outdoor Junkie

I have a local guy selling a Vortex Nomad for $280 on craigslist, which is the same price as predator optics new price for the Theron Saker 60 MM ED.

What would you choose? I have the Theron Wapiti 10x42 binos and love them. With that said, Vortex has the lifetime warranty..... decisions.

I'm heading back out for a late season cow elk hunt and want to have a spotting scope in addition to the binos.

Also, I'm new to spotting scopes. Angled or straight? What's the preference?

I'd be interested in hearing thoughts.

Thanks,
Chuck

No opinion except on angled vs straight. Straight packs inside pocket of pack easier. Straight easier for glassing low to ground as stalk/crawl in low vegetation such as on flat lands. Some straight scopes have a viewing peep holes useful for quickly getting the spotting scope "on target." Angled easier on neck if spot up steep slopes. Sloped easier for road glassing using a car window.

I mostly backpack hunt so have straight.

Chuck,

I just bought one of the Theron sakers from Schmalts a couple weeks ago. I'll be honest... it is my first spotting scope so I am by no means an expert, but I really like it so far. I really like the fact that it has the dual (course/fine) focus for dialing in a nice crisp picture. It rotates about the collar which is nice too. Only thing I don't like about this feature is that the thumb screw you loosen to allow the scope to rotate makes contact with the focus wheel so you can't rotate the scope 360 degrees. It isn't a featherweight scope but it isn't terribly heavy either and I plan to pack it along with me this fall. Optically I haven't had a chance to really put it through the ringer yet. I've had it set up at the house here but really need to find some time to get out and do some glassing. At maximum magnification (45x) it picks up enough light for me to view at distances of 300-400 yards until after sunset. Then it starts getting tougher to see clearly but if you back it off to 30x you can see very well. No problems using it at 15x-30x until the end of shooting light. Like I said, I need to find somewhere where I can get out and play with it some more, but first impressions are good. Strictly speaking from a features standpoint, I think the Theron is ahead of the nomad or any other scopes in this price range for that matter. I went with the angled based on Schmalts advice. He said the angled is likely better for anyone who is tall plus I anticipate I'll be using it to it glass up slopes a lot. The fact that you can rotate it makes it seem a bit more versatile than a straight scope in my opinion.

I'm actually in the west metro (Young America). If you ever come out this way I'd be happy to let you check it out. Otherwise make sure to get in touch with Schmalts. I believe he gives you 10 or 14 days to play with it if you buy one and if you think you could have bought a better scope you can send it back to him. He will be able to answer any questions you might have. The vortex warranty is a heck of a nice insurance no doubt... but I did a lot of research prior to getting the Theron and really couldn't find anyone who had a poor experience with it. Plus, knowing Schmalts is on here all the time giving folks great deals and great, honest advice I knew where I wanted my business to go. A great warranty is awesome, but if you take good care of your stuff just go after the best product that you can afford and I think you'll be happy.

Thanks for the advice. Leaning towards and angled Theron Saker as it stands.

JR,

If you can get a angled Vortex Nomad for $200 new, then I want to know your source. I'll start buying them and selling them on Amazon for $300, because the rate online looks to be in the low $300 range.

Cameralandny had them, that's where I got mine but they are sold out. I know Vortex discontinued them for the new Diamondback line. When I posted that lastnight I couldn't get to their page on my phone to link it for you.

I can tell you that the testing I did with one it is no comparison optics wise with the Saker. The Nomad is very comparable to the Redfield Rampage. They are not ED glass, nor have a very good eyepiece. These are just my observations from some side by side testing and there has been a lot more who have tested it as well agains other scopes for more money. The Nomad is a not a bad scope, but it lacks resolusion on higher magnification, and clarity to the edges compared to other scopes. It does have a better warranty though, and I think it is a nicer looking scope with better cosmetics but I market the Saker with optical performance as the most important thing. They were sold out for a while and I was checking a handfull of new model samples as a possible new model and that took some time. In the end, none if the new samples beat the Saker for resolution and clarity to the edge perfomance so I just ordred another large shipment of them. The biggest problem with them is so many think for the price it will be a POS, but that is not the case!

Last edited:
Thanks Schmalts,

I'll be buying the theron saker shortly. I have the Wapiti binos (bought them used on another site from a guy who goes by IdahoTrophyHunter) and I love them.

Are they in stock now?

Also, what tripod do you reccomend?

Thanks!

I bought a Saker from Schmalts last summer. I like it a lot. A nice piece of glass that does what I need it to do, and it's priced right.

Thanks Schmalts,

I'll be buying the theron saker shortly. I have the Wapiti binos (bought them used on another site from a guy who goes by IdahoTrophyHunter) and I love them.

Are they in stock now?

Also, what tripod do you reccomend?

Thanks!

I asked Schmalts the same questions and he recommended the Sinno tripod. I was looking for a tripod that was compact enough to be packed in with me. You can actually buy the tripod and scope together as a combo. Here are the links for the tripod and tripod/scope combo:

http://predatoroptics.info/catalog/product.asp?ret_id=1185759&pid=1032733

http://predatoroptics.info/catalog/product.asp?ret_id=1185759&pid=1032758

I like the tripod but I wish it had a small handle for panning. It is pretty smooth though and light enough that I can pack it. The tripod mounts onto a ball (think of a ball and socket joint) that can rotate freely and be locked in whatever position and angle you want. There is a second lock that allows for 360 rotation. It will be really nice for panning across hillsides. Just set the scope at whatever angle you need with the ball and lock it in place, then loosen the other lock and you can pan straight across the hillside. It's hard to explain but hopefully that makes some sense.

Depending on how you intend to use it, Schmalts can recommend the gear that will fit your particular need. Just thought I'd let you know what he recommended for me in case your intended use is the same. The Saker scopes do appear to be in stock on the predator optics online store.

I bought the nomad and paid about that same price for it new. Got the straight eye piece for the truck and packing and I like to just use cheap amazon/Wally world tripods and just hit them with some spray paint. As far as the spotting scope I wouldn't buy it again, I LOVE every other vortex product I own (bunch riflescopes) but will not recommend the nomad, spend the cash and move up to one of the HD's and be set for life. Good luck

Order Placed!

Well, just placed the order for the angled Theron Saker and the Sinno tripod combo. I can't wait to get it in my hands.

Pat, thanks for giving me a call and answering all my questions. I couldn't have asked for better service!

Thanks to everyone for the advice!

I use vanguard optics and I've been very impressed with them. They seem like a killer value somewhat surprised I don't hear of more people using them

How did that Theron Saker treat you last hunting season? I'm looking at possibly getting one, the price point is awesome and will probably fit my needs versus spending $600-1000 on one.

Hey Wopitz,

I really like it, but I am far from a spotting scope expert.It is my first spotting scope and in hind sight, I wish I would have bought a straight vs. an angled spotting scope, but other than that it's very high quality. The tripod they sell with it is very nice, but a little heavy for back packing long distances (IMO).

I've been very please in dealing with Pat and actually just sent him a lead, so he should be getting a call tonight :)

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. I was having the straight vs angled debate as well but I'm pretty sure I want the straight. That's mostly what I've used and works well for how I use them. I haven't heard one bad thing about Pat so there is a lot of confidence when buying from him. Good luck this fall!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back