PEAX Equipment

Vortex Diamondback vs. Nikon monarch ATB

Rooster52

Looking at buying new binoculars . Looking at Nikon Monarch ATB 8x42 vs. Vortex Diamondback 8X42. The Vortex costless but do you think they are equal or better than the Nikon? The Vortex are 5 ounces heavier.

I would steer clear of either. And don't fret over the weight when comparing optics, save that for image quality and value. If you are that worried about the weight make sure you get a good bino harness.

I can't speak to the Diamondback 8x42, but I have used the 10x42 for two seasons and really like them. For the money they hit above their weight...

I can't speak to the Diamondback 8x42, but I have used the 10x42 for two seasons and really like them. For the money they hit above their weight...

I've got the 10x42s as well and love them. My best hunting buddy uses Nikons and he likes my Diamondbacks more than his

I went and looked at All the binoculars at Cabelas

Last edited:
Save some more money and keep an eye on the Cabelas sales, they regularly run a sale on the Vortex Talon HD and these are far superior to the Diamondback

A scope is an aiming device and optics clarity probably will not change the game. With binos, clarity is all-important. It can be a game changer if the quality is minimal and you spend lots of time glassing.

Through my eyes I could not tell the difference between Nikon,leupold ,Redfield and others.

Last edited:
Diamondbacks are made in China. Nikons made in Japan. If all else is equal, I prefer to NOT support China.

Sure about that?. Most Nikon binoculars are made in China. I would bet any Nikon binoculars or rifle scope that is priced under $700 is in fact made in China or has glass sourced from thereat a minimum. Even Kowa binos except for their top model is made in China.

Sure about that?. Most Nikon binoculars are made in China. I would bet any Nikon binoculars or rifle scope that is priced under $700 is in fact made in China or has glass sourced from thereat a minimum. Even Kowa binos except for their top model is made in China.

No I guess I'm not. Just always thought all Nikons were made in Japan. The ones that I've had were.

The Vortex Viper and Razors are made in Japan, so I'd go with those over the Diamondbacks.

Last edited:
No I guess I'm not. Just always thought all Nikons were made in Japan. The ones that I've had were.

The Vortex Viper and Razors are made in Japan, so I'd go with those over the Diamondbacks.

So you're saying you are concerned with country of origin over optical quality? Nothing wrong with that, just that it would be the opposite for many.

I made one journey into the "Vortex Nation." It will never happen again. mtmuley

I made one journey into the "Vortex Nation." It will never happen again. mtmuley

I'm in the same boat. Sending stuff back and having things go tits up on a hunting trip gets old. Unfortunately I really want a big spotter and as much as it pains me, the razor is significantly less expensive while still having good resolution. I'd rather get a Zeiss, Swarovski, or Kowa. Maybe I'll win the lottery or something...

So you're saying you are concerned with country of origin over optical quality? Nothing wrong with that, just that it would be the opposite for many.

No, not exactly, but if there are options other than Chinese made then I will always go with something that was not made in China. If it's made in the USA that's even better. Unfortunately we don't have that option with binoculars but rifle scopes I will buy nothing but Leupold.

I own the Diamondbacks 8x. Frankly, I love my bino's, I hunt the midwest for the most part so having incredible optics isn't a necessity. However, I don't live to far from the vortex headquarters and I have visited them on a few occasions. Everytime I have gone to the vortex headquarters I am always shocked by how awesome there staff is and how accommodating they are. I have personally tried every one of there binoculars and I am impressed with every model, Obviously you get what you paid for with optics. The best part about vortex is there customer service. If you ever have an issue with there optics they are amazing. They have proven to me to be an awesome company and I don't foresee ever using another optic brand. Im obviously a huge fan-boy if you haven't noticed.

Back