Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Virginia Black Bears

OP, not sure if you've ever listened to the Southern Outdoorsmen podcast, but they had a guest on this week to talk Virginia mountain black bears. A really good listen.

OP, not sure if you've ever listened to the Southern Outdoorsmen podcast, but they had a guest on this week to talk Virginia mountain black bears. A really good listen.

Second this it was a great listen. Also the bear hunting magazine covers hunting bears in eastern forests.

I have seen very little bear sign in the mountains this year here. Did see a very big bear on the farm I deer hunt last day of early muzzy. Put my buddies boys in it with no luck.

Ditto brown bear. It the least amount of sign I’ve ever seen up high. I don’t like hunting the crowded areas down low but it’s apparently the only places with acorns.

I personally think that the warmer days we've had this month kept them moving at night. Three bears were shot this past week that I know of by some friends and they also agreed that their movement has picked up in the past week or so. Hopefully this upcoming cold front will have them moving even more. I'm no bear expert, just my opinion.

I went once in 2020 with a cheap "outfitter" and had zero luck. This year I'm going back down by myself. I will be stationed in Scott county with some friends. They have 30 acres that I can hunt, but I just don't know if that's enough area to have a likelyhood of seeing bears. Any advice? I know Clinch Mountain WMA is 1 hour and 24 minutes from where I will be staying.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back