Virginia Black Bears

badkarma6

Anyone with experience hunting black bears in Virginia on public land? Looking for helpful information on where to go. George Washington National Forest looks promising but it's a big area.

VA is unique u can hunt them in swamps (some of biggest black bears and most dense populations in world) in the Piedmont where they are basically like deer hunting them and in mountains where there smaller but easier to find. The bear rug in pic was shot mid state. Generally easiest way to shot one is around dismal swamp or in national forests. Hunting them in mountains is work or luck, pay your dues find it's core area. I look for drainage with great mass crop around it then find bear scat. If your targeting bears look till you find solid sign dont just hope and watch a ridge stay aggressive, use game cams. Look till you find bears! Good luck and welcome to siteKIMG1071.JPG

Majority of bear hunting in VA is done with dogs. It is dog free for early archery, early muzzleloader and the first two weeks of rifle. A little work and patience and you can get it done. I have always felt pretty awkward to go hunting later and possibly shoot a bear being pushed by somebody else's dogs.

Pm me if you look into Grayson or Smith Co. Lots of bears and public land. Clinch Mountain wildlife area is also a great area. I wish they would allow baiting but acorns and apples are a great place to climb a tree with a bow.

I live in Northern Virginia (work in DC) and the best spots for me appear to be in Shenandoah and Rockingham Counties. About an hour and a half drive and lots of public land in the National Forests. I’m going to hunt with a rifle to start off. May switch to the bow later. Should I plan on utilizing a climbing tree stand? Ground blind? I’ve obviously got to get out and scout but with 2 kids and a 3rd on the way, that ain’t easy. I’m a lifelong deer hunter but new to bears.

I live in Northern Virginia (work in DC) and the best spots for me appear to be in Shenandoah and Rockingham Counties. About an hour and a half drive and lots of public land in the National Forests. I’m going to hunt with a rifle to start off. May switch to the bow later. Should I plan on utilizing a climbing tree stand? Ground blind? I’ve obviously got to get out and scout but with 2 kids and a 3rd on the way, that ain’t easy. I’m a lifelong deer hunter but new to bears.
I live on the Shenandoah and Rockingham line. I think you've chosen well. Are you thinking archery, muzzleloader, rifle? The answer would change my approach.

I live on the Shenandoah and Rockingham line. I think you've chosen well. Are you thinking archery, muzzleloader, rifle? The answer would change my approach.
Rifle. I’ve scouted some around the Blue Hole day area in the GW Forest. You know that area?

Some, there's some areas back in there that border some farm fields. Look around Yankeetown and Criders on a map. Corn fields will hold bears until the dogs start barking. Don't know it first hand just what others say. It's hunted pretty hard by hounds. Another place I'd look hard is Church Mt. Its a hell of a hike up but you will have the place to yourself. Most of the Mountains and ridges in the forest have fire trails that are semi maintained but let you move easily along the top once you're there.

I also wouldn't overlook Fort Valley. Some areas along the Shenandoah and Page county lines are rugged and hold good bear numbers.

The bears are out here, just need to spend the time and get in the right position. Use aerial maps and see if you can find corn near the edge of the forest. I see them every year-just not when I can actually shoot them... The two I have gotten have been early in the year when they are feeding on corn.

@badkarma6 I personally hunt in the southwest corner of the state. I can’t speak for the rest of the state, but I would try to capitalize on a bear during bow season. Most people get them with dogs, but a fair number of people take them with bows every October. I took this bear a few years ago on October 13 & for whatever reason we see more bear activity in October. 1597888653038.jpeg

@badkarma6 I personally hunt in the southwest corner of the state. I can’t speak for the rest of the state, but I would try to capitalize on a bear during bow season. Most people get them with dogs, but a fair number of people take them with bows every October. I took this bear a few years ago on October 13 & for whatever reason we see more bear activity in October. View attachment 150971
Thanks Red. I’m looking forward to early bear season Sep 28-30. Don’t have my hopes up that I’m going to bag some monster but I am looking forward to trying. Most likely in the NW part of the state.

Yeah man, get after them. You can’t get them laying on the couch. Haha. I will also be hunting the early season with rifle. Hopefully we’ll both bring one home.

I have seen lots of bears in Virginia. On one particular hunt over 5 days, no bait, no dogs, no tree stand and in an area I would consider heavily trafficked I saw bears each of the 5 days and I was hunting different spots most sessions. 1 of those days was a sow with cubs, the rest were shooters. I was hunting archery and the saw bears between 40 yards and 80 yards. Bears were either too far like that 80 yarder or moved by too quickly like one that crossed a shooting line in front of me at 40 yards but was moving too quickly through that opening for it to be an opportunity with the bow.

My only regret is on the last day, I wanted meat for the freezer. So i left the bow in the truck - if I remember correctly it was bow season for bear, and rifle for deer on that 5th day. On that day a bear walked within 20 yards - did a half circle in front of me over what felt like a 15 minute period ripping into logs and eating. Some how it never spotted me and no wind kicked up even though I was at ground level. The problem was bear was not open for rifle that day.

But for the part you want to hear: It was public land and it was blue ridge mountains and in my experience, Virginia is crawling with bears in the right habitat. If you have the time to put in you can do well.

Although bears like to get back and away from people, I think it will surprise you where they actually make a home/what territories they occupy. Look for sign, then put in the time when you do.

Get back someplace that the dog guys won't go.
The bear hunters I know will put miles upon miles on their boots each day. I have a buddy in WV and he showed me his gps and it was at 28 miles in one day.

The bear hunters I know will put miles upon miles on their boots each day. I have a buddy in WV and he showed me his gps and it was at 28 miles in one day.

When I posted that I should have specified straight up the side and on top of steep terrain. There are areas that the dog guys will try to push bears up and over to posters or down the mountain to posters. Many if not most do not like the straight up and down all day and will stay away from these areas. Not that they won't put in the miles or come close to these hide aways.

Also private land borders. A lot of dog hunters around here avoid those areas to not have trespassing issues.

Back