Vets: What was your favorite rank?

Gunner46

Though I did make CWO3, (in the Corps) I have to say I had my best time/ fun as an E-5 Senior Sergeant. I lead Platoons. I had enlisted Marines with me (Kids), in the dirt, on the march, in a hole, the desert, the MF'N d@mn COLD, ...laughing, suffering, sharing through rough times. Those are the guys I'll go to my maker always in my memories.

I stayed E-3 for 3 years. Mainly because I knew after 3 I was out and I like being my own boss with a Truck all day.
After a year on the DMZ in Korea I was offered an illustrator OJT position with CSA an no over head except for a full bird.

In my shop I've meet 4 Cheifs of Staff a few Generals, Commander's all who are great guys. We get into some interesting conversations.

Our rank structure is a bit different, I'm a Master Warrant Officer which is an E-8. Some of the best jobs I've had were as a Sergeant/E-6 and Warrant Officer/E-7 though.

But I feel like I am living hands down the highlight of my career, right now. Recently appointed to Unit Sergeant Major and I have an outstanding team. My troops are awesome, loyal and give their all. This is my last job at the tactical level where I actually lead troops and influence the organisation at a level where they see positive change on a day to day. I get to mold both NCMs and Junior Officers into leaders.

While going up the ranks sounds great and I won't mind working on my pension, I will 100% soak in my last year(s) before I move onto a staregic job and ride a desk "leading the institution".

Leading troops as an effective and cohesive team, is hard to beat.

Though I did make CWO3, (in the Corps) I have to say I had my best time/ fun as an E-5 Senior Sergeant. I lead Platoons. I had enlisted Marines with me (Kids), in the dirt, on the march, in a hole, the desert, the MF'N d@mn COLD, ...laughing, suffering, sharing through rough times. Those are the guys I'll go to my maker always in my memories.
I had no desire to rank above E-5. E-6 on 1st hitch extend but I wasn't goin there. Hind site said at 22 ,making E-6 should be a huge leg up for a career but I figured I'd either end up a drunk or shot by a jealous husband.🤣🤣🤣

I was in a Lance Missile unit in Germany as an artillery surveyor. We were supposed to have two survey parties but only had enough people for one for a long time. Wehn we finally had enough for two there was a shortage of NCOs, so we didn't have anyone to lead the second survey party. The solution they came up with was to promote me to E-5. Of course, Sargent Hampton took the best men for his party leaving me in charge of 6 losers. Nice guys but worthless. Then the Army decided to crack down on drug use. All my guys got kicked out of the army for drug use, leaving me without a job and pretty much in charge of myself for the last nine months of my enlistment. I got an opportunity to go to Morocco for two weeks on leave. The Sargent in charge of the battalion duty roster misunderstood and thought I left for good, so he took me off the duty roster leaving me with even more free time. So, E-5 was good for me.

E5 I was still in the dirt making mud pies.

E6 I was teaching my E5’s to make more dirt into bigger mud pies.

As I took on more roles of my E7, I learned to both cherish and rue what I’d become and was creating.

I never made 7 because of a hearing loss. Would have been scary to see what I would have done.

Staff Sergeant, E-6, most impactful and influential to my career as he "squared away" this young 1st Lt. arriving in Vietnam. Sgt Booth was well-trained, professional, and took care of our platoon soldiers in every aspect. He instilled in me deep respect and trust in the NCO corps. Even as an E-6, his influence was huge.

Myself, favorite as a captain in Vietnam, with a modicum of responsibility and incredible freedom to gain proficiency and flight time in the incredible UH-1 Huey, while experiencing a few horrific moments of terror to instill the appreciation of the good life and the blessing of being born in the USA.

Most mundane as an 0-6 Colonel, "flying a desk" mostly and making somewhat trifling decisions ... but then again, it's the best rank when the monthly pension arrives. ;)DS and Big Kahuna 590.jpg

I spent the most time in grade as an E-5 but I liked being an E-6 as much or more. It’s a toss up between the two. I went to Iraq as an E-4 on a PSD team where we didn’t wear rank and were all basically autonomous except for the NCOIC who ran the team, an E-7. Other than that I was completely outside a command structure. Probably the strangest situation in the Army.

I spent the most time in grade as an E-5 but I liked being an E-6 as much or more. It’s a toss up between the two. I went to Iraq as an E-4 on a PSD team where we didn’t wear rank and were all basically autonomous except for the NCOIC who ran the team, an E-7. Other than that I was completely outside a command structure. Probably the strangest situation in the Army.
I was an 18 year old E 4 Chief and I had the respect of the base CO. Youngest Chief at the time. Chief of the Boat.
I had as much say in our ops as the Capt. of our crews. The Marine Capt. & us Chiefs would come up with ops. Not the final say, but a say.
I got the job done. Our crews got the job done with no officers in our boats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back