Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Veteran appreciation

As the Veteran Chairman for the Chico Chapter of the California Waterfowl Association, I am looking for input on what people have seen other banquets do to honor veterans specifically and also ideas on what people would like to see. A tradition I started last year was a missing/fallen soldier table. I set up an empty table at our banquet with full place settings for every branch along with an explanation of the table and it's significance. Each veteran attending our banquet will receive a CWA challenge coin. We also hold a veteran specific raffle and this year we will hold an auction to send one of the veterans at our dinner on a hunt with the veterans program of CWA. I'd like to do more. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

1. Possibly take big group photo after your event with all the members and the veterans and post in local newspaper or website.

2. Recognize youngest, active military or veteran present and the oldest veteran present. Let them talk for a few minutes about their service.

3. Americans like to “win” prizes for some reason. Give away a few baskets or bags of trinkets or cheap prizes through a raffle like the Ducks Unlimited or RMEF chapter meetings.

Thanks for your work, TheGrayRider.

Thanks, Kansas. I'm just trying to do my part. 90% of my family and extended family are vets. I just laid my last Grandfather to rest in Arlington on Monday morning. At the end of the day I know all of these banquets are meant to squeeze as much money out of people as possible, but as far as my program I couldn't care less about the money. I feel like I owe a great debt to each and every veteran out there.

1. Possibly take big group photo after your event with all the members and the veterans and post in local newspaper or website.

2. Recognize youngest, active military or veteran present and the oldest veteran present. Let them talk for a few minutes about their service.

3. Americans like to “win” prizes for some reason. Give away a few baskets or bags of trinkets or cheap prizes through a raffle like the Ducks Unlimited or RMEF chapter meetings.

All great ideas, TheGrayRider. Thank you.

I’d even make a point of calling out the retirees. A group often overlooked.

I have a retired rear Admiral that lives near me. He started like me, a Seaman in 1972.
Granted he was not a Gunner in a patrol boat but the fact he did it is amazing to me.

I do not regret declining the promotion to Ensign and walking in 74. But makes you wonder.

I would not have made it those 2 years if not for the staff that had the boat ready to go at anytime.

I have a retired rear Admiral that lives near me. He started like me, a Seaman in 1972.
Granted he was not a Gunner in a patrol boat but the fact he did it is amazing to me.

I do not regret declining the promotion to Ensign and walking in 74. But makes you wonder.

I would not have made it those 2 years if not for the staff that had the boat ready to go at anytime.
Thank you for your service. Whether you served 2 years or 20, you've still done more than most in my opinion.

Challenge coins are meh. Non special if not from a impactful moment in the service. Even those end up in a drawer and mostly are forgetful. For a organization to give one to a vet is mostly a waste of money. Use that money on a better raffle. Refund a random Vets banquet tickets.

Honestly the table is enough, don’t ask us to stand for recognition, don’t single us out we just want to have a nice evening. Seeing the table and being like everyone else is a good evening.

Challenge coins are meh. Non special if not from a impactful moment in the service. Even those end up in a drawer and mostly are forgetful. For a organization to give one to a vet is mostly a waste of money. Use that money on a better raffle. Refund a random Vets banquet tickets.

Honestly the table is enough, don’t ask us to stand for recognition, don’t single us out we just want to have a nice evening. Seeing the table and being like everyone else is a good evening.
Agreed, I would not attend knowing I'd be singled out.

Agreed. There are those that like the attention, most don't.

Honestly if you start trying to do too much it starts to feel like pandering.
I'm always appreciative if a place has the fallen soldier table set up. Don't need anything more than that.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back