Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Very cool research study published to the WDNR website

If you whitetail hunt, this is well worth the 10-20 minutes looking at this!

Good stuff. Every study I have ever seen comes to the same conclusion. I wonder why the belief continues to hold that moon or weather or whatever affects the rut. You can probably start a fist fight in a midwest coffee shop by saying the rut happens in the same 20-day window every year.

Good stuff. Every study I have ever seen comes to the same conclusion. I wonder why the belief continues to hold that moon or weather or whatever affects the rut. You can probably start a fist fight in a midwest coffee shop by saying the rut happens in the same 20-day window every year.
90% of my time spent in a stand with the bow in my hand behind my house is from Oct 30-Nov 5th. I could care less about weather/moon. When I saw the peak movement of this study, I felt validated for personally choosing that window!

"A false conclusion once arrived at and widely accepted is not easily dislodged; and the less it is understood, the more tenaciously it is held."
-Georg Cantor

Good stuff. They said when they captured buck he was 8 months, weighed 90 pounds and was CWD negative. I thought they could only test dead deer using the lymph nodes. Is there a new test that allows deer to be tested alive?

Good stuff. They said when they captured buck he was 8 months, weighed 90 pounds and was CWD negative. I thought they could only test dead deer using the lymph nodes. Is there a new test that allows deer to be tested alive?
They can test live animals through rectal mucosa biopsy. I’m not that familiar with the test itself other than there has been some evidence that it has trouble detecting disease in the earlier stages. Which I believe is why it has not been certified for regulatory use.

For comparison, here’s a picture of another 90 lb deer. However, this one was CWD positive and obviously older than 8 months old. It was found alive and walking around like a drunk, with little awareness of what was going on. Stomach contents were completely empty. Hunter shot it and called the game warden.
1704564633309.jpeg

Very informative. I wish they’d have mentioned the weather conditions, too. Though, I guess it doesn’t make a difference; the rut is when it is, rain or shine.

"A false conclusion once arrived at and widely accepted is not easily dislodged; and the less it is understood, the more tenaciously it is held."
-Georg Cantor
Particularly true in this case when it gives hunters an excuse to be unsuccessful.

If you liked that check out “The Penn State Deer-Forest Study”. The Rut section is interesting.

Back