Vertical Grip on a Hunting Rifle

JGJohnson

Does anyone have experience or opinions on a vertical style grip on a hunting rifle, such as you would see on a McMillan Game Scout or a Manners EH1? It has taken me some time to warm up to their appearance, but I think they would be more comfortable for bad wrists compared to a traditional pistol grip. They look like they would be the cat's meow for prone shooting, but how about other positional/improvised (sitting, kneeling, over a rock, against a post, etc) shooting?

McMillan Game Scout.PNG

I use and have used vertical grips for hunting a lot. Generally speaking I prefer them, and shoot well with them in all positions. My hunting shots and practice tend to be skewed toward prone and seated with pack out front.

Edited to add: what I like is the control provided to the botttom three fingers + palm, it allows straight and consistent alignment of the index finger on the trigger. Little stuff that matters when shooting a little further out. Just my preference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man I love the look but my short lived experiment with a Thompson Pro Hunter is as ergonomically similar as I can guess. Maybe I didn't give it long enough but it went down the road in trade for a nice K frame Smith/Wesson. I should give it another shot someday.

It felt odd at first, but once I got used to it, I find it get more consistent trigger pulls due to the alignment.

Man I love the look but my short lived experiment with a Thompson Pro Hunter is as ergonomically similar as I can guess. Maybe I didn't give it long enough but it went down the road in trade for a nice K frame Smith/Wesson. I should give it another shot someday.
Without a doubt one of the most uncomfortable guns to carry through the whitetail woods. Especially the laminated wood ones.

Without a doubt one of the most uncomfortable guns to carry through the whitetail woods. Especially the laminated wood ones.

I don’t think I would want mine for the whitetail woods either. It’s much more of a WY plains / cross canyon rifle than a Stalker.

I have a nice little 243 with a McMillan Mcwoody Sporter stock that fits whitetail hunting much nicer.

I am another big fan of a vert style stock. My rifle shooting began truly with an M16A2 and I feel (as mentioned) that it is more comfortable and adds more control/better shoulder weld. My next rifle will have one.

I definitely prefer the feel of a vertical grip. Especially when shooting from a prone position, I find the vertical grip puts less pressure on the wrist which in turn lends itself to good trigger control. I don't know why more hunting rifles don't come from the factory with vert grip stocks.

I have 2 Tikkas and have put the vertical grip attachments on both stocks.

They just feel natural once you shoot them.
Agreed. I got a Manners EH1 this year, and it very comfortable to shoot. My hand seems to comfortably slip into position much quicker than with my other traditional spotter stocks. The EH1 shoots well from a sitting position, but really shines from prone.

To the OP, if you do order a Manners, prepare to wait a while. Took nine months to get mine. I’d look at their ready-to-ship stocks to find one that fits your platform.

Too fugly to take outside. too many shadbelly curves and bumps in odd places. I prefer a more traditional CLASS[C STYLE.

It has its benefits in some shooting positions. But in my opinion it’s not as fast to handle for quick shots.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back