Vension ribs

peterk1234

I cannot recommend venison ribs enough to you guys. I'm going to guess Elk is just as good, if not better. In my family, it trumps backstraps. I use the 3-2-1 method for smoking them, but I have a little secret. The first step, after trimming the fat, is to throw into a pressure cooker. After numerous attempts I think I have the timing perfect. Once the weight starts to jiggle, pull it off the heat. The pressure cooker melts most of the remaining fat and helps to tenderize the meat. I used to do it longer but it really shrinks the meat by pulling too much of the fat out. Use your favorite rub and don't forget to hit it with a barbecue sauce and apple cider vinegar before you wrap it in butcher paper for part "2" of the 3-2-1 method.

ribs.jpg

Looks good I’ve never made venison ribs my self I’ll have to try it next time

Those look and sound good. I’ve cooked venison ribs in my Weber just using a rub, then adding my own honey based BBQ sauce the last 20 minutes. But I like your idea. I’ll try it! Thanks

do you like that tacky fatty coating on your tongue and in your mouth after eating? They do taste good but i typically pass on them. I have a friend who had two heart attacks and had deer ribs for dinner and a heart attack late the night after eating them. Sorta crazy but he only ate them twice and blames the ribs!

do you like that tacky fatty coating on your tongue and in your mouth after eating? They do taste good but i typically pass on them. I have a friend who had two heart attacks and had deer ribs for dinner and a heart attack late the night after eating them. Sorta crazy but he only ate them twice and blames the ribs!
There is zero tacky fatty coating to worry about if you trim and pressure cook first. It is the main reason to put it in the pressure cooker. The high heat/steam basically melts it off the meat and ribs. The secret, which took me several tries, is to not have it in the cooker too long because you pull all the fats out of the meat, therefore really shrinking the meat on the bone. It will still come out great, but will be much drier, almost like jerky. Keeping a bit of fat in the meat (or call it juices), keep the meat much more succulent as you smoke them.

I continue to be amazed how much of an animal we can eat and have it taste fantastic, as long as it is properly prepared. As much as I enjoy the hunt, I think the butchering and preparing of the game meat is an equally exciting journey. I learn something every single time.

Wow! Drool factor 10! Note to self... don't cut out rib meat next time...

I did a similar recipe to this last year and they were really good; I tried it again this year and thought what the hell did I do wrong, and It was the fact I neglected to trim most of the visible fat off, some of it breaks down but there was still enough to coat our mouths with fat-wax and the meat flavor was really strong.

I'll have to try this again, but trimming the fat!

Exact method I use. Haven't had any waxy issues with proper trimming and pressure cooking, but that was a fear of mine on the first attempt. They seem to turn out perfect every time. Only done whitetail in the past but hopeful to try a few more critters in the coming year.

I make mine the same way, excellent. I have also done the crock pot all day as well which works really well but more time consuming.

I just slow-cooked a rack of feral hog ribs last night, and they were great. I’ll have to start keeping deer ribs too.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back