Vehicle purchase ( possible eco diesel)

Id look toward a Rav4 or 4Runner. If you want a pickup and mpg. Maybe the smaller 4 cylinders offered by GM and Ford. Grand Cherokee should net in the 20’s for mpg. Issue with all the new vehicles with good mileage is once you add heavy tires to replace the 1/2 ply stockers you will loose some efficiency with added weight.

The 4runner is not going to mileage in the 20s.
If it just if for a dirt road any of the cars with a little clearance should do. Rav, subaru, sienna with awd, maverik/bronco/escape...

My dad picked up the base model tradesman 2019 eco diesel in 4wd long bed with the higher gearing
20 to 25 around town
He put a 4in lift I believe and 33in falkens
Pushes 30 on long trips if you keep it under 80
Towing anything is like 15
No problems so farm
Very simple truck

Is the goal just to get better gas mileage to save money in the end? When you factor in the second vehicle purchase with cost of purchase, insurance, registration, maintenance, you never come out ahead buying a second vehicle to save on gas. It's always cheaper to keep what you have and drive the one vehicle. Maintain it well. If you don't need a truck then by all means find something more economical. If you just need a second vehicle for the spouse I would vote new Subaru Crosstrek 6 speed base model. I owned one, 30+mpg, very reliable, easy to maintain, great in the snow, better than a truck or jeep in the snow if I'm honest.

1999 Ford SuperDuty F250 extended cab short bed 7.3L ……….love the smell of diesel in the morning !

Wife has Subaru Forster 2018 Touring Edition

Agree the best veh is one that is paid off no loan balance !

Last edited:
So we have decided to get another truck. I went to the ford dealership and just about fell over when I saw the price .. market adjustment is another term for bend over.

So we have decided to get another truck. I went to the ford dealership and just about fell over when I saw the price .. market adjustment is another term for bend over.
Not a buyers market in anything !
A new Lariet F250 cost almost more than I gave for my house. I will ride a ass before I spend that for a veh.
Also beware of flooded used veh that will hit the market soon new and used .

Last edited:
I bought a 2021 GMC Sierra 1500 crew cab diesel last year. I absolutely love the truck and my best mpg is 36 and I average 25. it has plenty of torque to tow my tandem trailer with my SXS. GM gave me more than my F150 5.0 crew cab was worth plus a military discount and a few others to make the deal. Plus, the truck has a 5yr 100k mile warranty on the drivetrain.

Shop around and do not fall for the market adjustment bullshit. I scratched those greedy dealers from the list of ever considering a purchase in the future.

Good luck.

I have looked at a diesel many many times and every time I put a pen to it I go in the hole. The milage you MIGHT save is just not worth it. At least where I am at diesel is at least 50 cents a gallon more than unleaded. And at times its 80 cents a gallon more. Plus with a newer diesel you have the cost of DEF also. Add the extra cost now of insurance on that extra rig and you will go negative on the money in a hurry. I had a buddy pull my trailer with his diesel f350 for a short example, it got 11 mpg. I get 8-10 with my 3.5 eco boost f150 pulling the same trailer.

Reactions: LCH
I have looked at a diesel many many times and every time I put a pen to it I go in the hole. The milage you MIGHT save is just not worth it. At least where I am at diesel is at least 50 cents a gallon more than unleaded. And at times its 80 cents a gallon more. Plus with a newer diesel you have the cost of DEF also. Add the extra cost now of insurance on that extra rig and you will go negative on the money in a hurry. I had a buddy pull my trailer with his diesel f350 for a short example, it got 11 mpg. I get 8-10 with my 3.5 eco boost f150 pulling the same trailer.
Here we use home heating oil in 7.3 L no road tax and have a 100 gal aux tank in the back

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back