MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

variable power scope question

Melman

I have a hunting optics question I hope you all can help me with. I've always used 3-9 variable power scopes on my rifles. I keep it on 3 power while in the woods and move it to 9 power when I need to take longer shots. I have buddies that tell me they pretty much leave their scopes on 6 power all the time. Why not just buy a fixed power scope then? Does anyone out there with say a 2-12x42 VX-6 ever use 3 power or 4 or 11 power? Don't people pretty much just skip over all those middle range magnifications? Maybe this is a dumb question. I just wanted to see if I was missing something.

I have always had a variable power scope on my rifles. I keep it on the lowest power just as you do, and crank it up to the higher power that gives me the best sight picture. On my present scope, if the game is far enough away that I need to use the ballistic reticle, my scope requires that it be on 18x (max power) in order for the ballistic crosshair to be accurate.

On my present scope, if the game is far enough away that I need to use the ballistic reticle, my scope requires that it be on 18x (max power) in order for the ballistic crosshair to be accurate.[/QUOTE]

that was part of my question too, I also have a ballistic reticle on some of my scopes so its one more reason to use the highest power.

This is one of those things that has no right-or-wrong answer, but all my scopes are variable power and I tend to use the mid-range settings very often. On the highest settings the field of view sometimes is narrower than I like for getting back on target after the shot's recoil, low power doesn't have enough strength for my poor eyesight, so in the end many of my shots are taken in the mid-range settings. I still like to have the high and low ends for some situations and so I'm sure all my future scopes will be variable power. I like first focal plane scopes as well as dialing turrets for shots, so where the magnification is set isn't a priority.

Last edited:
Does anyone even make a fixed power scope anymore?
Yep! Leupold has a whole line. SWFA does. Schmit and Bender, Weaver, etc. I could easily see my big game rigs all having fixed power scopes in the not too distant future. Fewer parts, and no moving ones, means there's much less to go wrong.

I like having a 3-9ish range on my scope, but I either shoot at 3 or 9. 3 if I don't have as much time and it is a closer shot. 9 if I have time to settle in and crank it up. I have shot quite a few animals at 3x.

I have always thought that variable-power scopes are the way to go, UNTIL recently when I woke up. Unless you are into the extreme range crap, a fixed 6x will do everything that you want in normal hunting conditions. I am done buying variable scopes and screwing with them in the field, when I should be shooting. I have some variables yet and they are great, but I will be buying SWFA fixed 6x from now on.

I can shoot sub-moa groups at all reasonable ranges with no problem with my fixed-power scopes. .

something else to conside with the BDC type reticales is if it is FFP or SFP... those little lines then change or don't change with the zoom...

I have used nothing but fixed power scopes, mostly 6x36mm and 6x42mm Leupolds. Love those scopes. Those with the long range dots calibrated for your load are simple, stout, and reliable.

Broke down last year and bought my very first variable. It is a 4.5-14x40mm Leupold with the B&C reticle. I carry it on 6x go figure! I did crank it up when I shot my cow last year though at 450 yards! It worked very well.

I use a Leupold 2x-8x on my .338 and carry it on 2x when I'm walking or sitting; if I need to use 8x I have always had time to dial it up. I like the fast target acquisition on 2x - I hunt Alaska almost every fall, and have never had to shoot anything in self defense, but have had occasion to unsling my rifle and get ready a couple of times. For me acquiring a target at close range (25 yards or less) is a lot faster with a 2x.

I have several variables, 2.5x8, 2x7, 3x9, 4.5x14, 6.5x20, 6x18 and some fixed powers. I always have the scopes set on the lowest power and if time and the conditions require it I crank it up as needed. Just remember to check them to make sure you turn them back down and also now check your turrets and make sure the range is what you want it set at.

Dan

I have always used variables for hunting. For the type of hunting I use most of the time, the scope stays on low power (2.5, 3, 4, etc.) For longer shots, I sometimes crank it all the way up, or sometimes, just a flick to something higher like 5, 6, etc. For open or stand hunting, a fixed 6 could work. I had a 6-18 one time on a 222 and hunted coyotes with it. Didn't get any, but found that 6x was too small of a field of view for a lot of in timber hunting. The convenience and greater accuracy afforded by higher power makes variable power scopes the only way for me to go! My general favorite for weight & size (I favor light weight rifles heavily!) is a Leupold VX3, or 3i now, in 2.5-8.

I learned a Hard lesson about variables on my 1st Lope hunt. I'd spent some time doing a sneaky-sneak on the only buck I'd seen in 3 days. The small group had just gone into a bunch of Junipers , at about 300yds. I was set up on a ditch bank, rifle over the edge and rested on my pack, set at 9X for them to exit the other side. Doe #1 came out...Doe #2 came out...the buck was next......

Then the doe's froze for a second and did a hasty retreat back in the Junipers !

????????????

Next thing I know all three come busting out at a good trot, not 35yds away ! Ever try to pick up a moving Anything at 35yds with a scope set on 9X? Ain't a'gonna happen !! Needless to say the goats got away and I ate Tag Soup.

Since then (1985) ,the 9X is used only at the range for sighting-in and load development. When hunting, it's usually set on 5X, never higher, but if any brush is involved it goes down to 3X.

(my two current project rifles are both sporting Leuy 2X7X33's, and I'm perfectly fine with that)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back