Vanish and FireTiger's 2022 Journal

Here's the setup. Behind me to the west is ultimately brushy and then a tilled field. Not sure what's growing in it, but what haven't seen deer eating it.

In front of me to the east is about 30 yards of hardwoods, then an open dry creekbed, then very brushy bedding across the creek.

The marked area is a nearly impenetrable "marsh". I've scouted the west edge for almost 2 miles and see no tracks entering it, so I'm considering it a barrier.

Screenshot_20221107_104340_onX Hunt.jpg

Last edited:
We were up in time to see the lunar Eclipse this morning, but it was not to be as rain clouds have moved in. Some showers in the first hour before shooting light, but it has since stopped. It's warm, in the 60s overnight.

I saw three deer in the eastern field as I made my way to the stand in the gray light. I don't believe they were on to me as I ducked through the hedgerow.

Sadly, nothing has come through in the first hour and a half.

I might be competing with @ElkFever2 on This Rodent Life on this trip. Squirrels, opposums, armadillos, porcupines ( though I still need a photo of them ) and bonus raccoons ( not technically rodents ). This fella wondered what I was doing near his tree.

20221108_075705.jpg

Damp ground, high winds and lack of movement at my stabd prompted me to bail, drive a couple miles and start still hunting again.

I really struggle picking between "during the rut, time on stand is all that matters" and "if you aren't seeing the rut, that's because it's happening somewhere else." I've proven the latter several times before so lean that way these days.

Currently in what appears to be a large Osage orange Grove.

20221108_095406.jpg

Finally saw a deer as it slipped out from under this deadfall. Yes, that is the road in the background. Also, dumb moment, it didn't go far and I bumped it. I knew i hadnt scared it as no tail up, but it had seemed to have gone downwind so i figured it a lost cause. Looked like a spike, though.

20221108_112101.jpg

Found a spot with a ridiculous amount of sign. Wondered if I should stop. Decided no, immediately jumped a buck. Thought about whether I bumped him hard or if he only took a few bounds, decided unlikely. Took 5 steps and he was right there. Golfclap me.

I ended up jumping half a dozen deer on that loop, which while I don't want to jump them, at least i know deer are using that area. Also appeard that things have dried out again, making still hunting difficult despite the wind.

In addition to the spot with the buck, I found a spot with a ton of sign right by the road. Wondering if that is a night area. I plan to return to the spot with the buck, but not sure when.

I would really like to see more deer on their feet. I've covered a lot of ground and have yet to see any cruising.

Back in the stand now.

Why did you have to post a picture of a spider??? Yuck! Ruint da whole thread, I'm tellin' ya.

Hang in there. One will make a mistake....or maybe it will need to make more than 1 mistake?...but whatever, you will get him!

With somewhere between 10 and 15 minutes of legal light left, I caught a flicker of movement out in the tiny gap where I could see the dry creek bed. I studied it for a minute and saw a deer step through, heading right to left. I hoped it would turn and head toward the field behind me.

What I didn't realize was the flicker was the doe, and I had seen the fawn following behind. The doe had indeed turned, following my plan, but had been behind the largest tree in front of me. She was already in range by the time I saw her, but coming straight on.

When she was only 10 feet from my climbing sticks, I decided to take the steep angle shot. The entrance clipped the nearside backstrap and the exit was just above the brisket on the opposite side, taking out both lungs. She plowed through the thick stiff grass behind me and fell over in the open field, making for an easy retrieval.

Ironically, I had just explained to my dad last night that I set up specifically where I thought I would NOT have the deer walk directly under me, but rather 15 yards in front broadside.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back