Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Vanish and FireTiger's 2022 Journal

Grainfield Kansas; what a name for a town. Laying over for the night and will finish the drive to Oklahoma in the morning. Game plan after that will be to scout for camp spot, set up and try to find some deer in the evening. The I've got seven days to figure it out. I've brought a stand, but it is not my plan A. First, I want to find the does, then evaluate from there.

Two of my six tags are valid for bucks and we've put nothing in the freezer this season, so I'm not going to be picky.

This is so much fun. About soiled my trousers as a doe peaked out from behind the tree on the left. Just saw two more bust out while typing this. I might need to stop pushing. Does are here, bucks will be nearby.

20221105_173953.jpg

The morning started off with deer right in the trail before I was going to dump into the woods. That was exciting but the wind was swirly and just resulted in lots of huffing. They disappeared into a viney jungle mess.

20221106_072420.jpg

I worked about 600 yards into the wind looking for sign and found a couple decent spots to put a stand as well as a definite bedding area, but I didn't come across any deer.

Taking a break at a pinch between a marsh and a field.

20221106_083756.jpg

Got a bit of a cough this morning. The family was sick last week but I only had very mild symptoms. Hoping it doesn't get any worse.

Sat for 45 min or so,and then continued scout hunting. Moved into some cedar /grass patch and there were solid trail with good sign.

20221106_092125.jpg

As I reached the edge, two does came bounding into the field in front of me. They made their way straight towards me, as I stood in the shade of a cedar. Don't know why I didn't knock an arrow, as they turned and stopped broadside at 15 yards.

20221106_093732.jpg

We had a plan to scout another area, so I headed back to the truck. Dad had found a spot he liked last night so had returned, and timed things poorly as 6 does and a buck came through while his pants were down.

We scouted the next area, but preferred where we had been, so returned and set up camp.

20221106_121650.jpg

I didn't realize how crunchy things were going to turn. Might have to think about putting up the stand.

Got to 55 yards on this little buck at last light.
20221106_180432.jpg

Decided to split the difference this morning and take the folding stool. North east wind wasn't what I had been planning for. I'm set up on a trail through the cedars that connects across a field peninsula. Can't see much but should be a great shot if something comes through. Thoughts on this setup?

Screenshot_20221107_072243_onX Hunt.jpg

20221107_071232.jpg

Last edited:
Two hours, no deer, and my hiding spot is directly in the sun. Time to change it up. Gonna go scout/hunt the east side of a marsh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back