Yeti GOBOX Collection

Vanish and FireTiger's 2022 Journal

vanish

If you're new to the Live Hunts section, check out my journals from previous years (listed in signature), especially those before 2021. My wife was pregnant last year and that journal turned out pretty lame. :D

This upcoming weekend is officially the start of our hunting season. It has been a bit different planning for this season, with my daughter six months old. There was definitely some apprehension on FireTiger's part as to how comfortable she would be with me being gone for lengths of time, or far distance. We're also still trying to imagine how these hunts where daughter is along are going to work.

Current Season:

September - Vanish - CO Local Archery Deer
Late September - Vanish+FireTiger - CO Muzzy Buck Pronghorn
October - FireTiger - CO Rifle Buck Mule Deer
October - Vanish+FireTiger - CO Turkey

November is currently open, as we expected my dad to draw CO Elk Unit 61 3rd rifle, but he got creep'd. He has been pitching an Oklahoma archery deer hunt, which I am very much into, but I have this gut feeling he might bail on me? I have two open invitations on OTC rifle elk hunts as well, but I know just how much work that is and I am not sure this is the year for it. Ada is itching to get out for birds, too.

Starting this weekend is my local archery deer hunt, which may have been a mistake. In my head, I was thinking oh I can just go out for short sessions many times. Well, even though the tag is my home unit, a lot of closer access was closed due to the fires a couple years back. This means most spots are at least an hour's drive anyway.

I've been scouting this summer and haven't turned up much. I've checked out from the low foothills all the way to the divide and turned up a whopping two dink bucks. The terrain is different from what I am used to hunting and I don't know if I am just looking in the wrong spots or what. I found two stellar moose! 😂 No pics, sorry, my phone went kaput before that trip. I also learned I am in as bad of shape as I feared I might be. Darn dad bod! I think packing a buck out of the wilderness area I scouted might kill me.

If I was actually thinking to fill a tag, I'd be turning this one in and picking up just about any rifle tag and going for a weekend. A buddy had warned me it was a tough one. I didn't think it would be this tough just to find deer!

Below are some pics from a few places I went, cause pics or shens, but not all.

20220729_193457.jpg

20220626_103030.jpg

20220626_085116.jpg

20220813_160856.jpg

I'm really looking forward to getting out with Ada this year. She has been an awesome family dog. She's a total goofball. You can usually find her napping on the back (top) of the sofa. I should find a pic of that (or just take one as she's right behind me now!). She's completely bonkers for birds, and pretty good at finding rabbits, too (and fish, surprisingly, she hates going in the water). I haven't done nearly enough training with her, though.

IMG_6431.jpg

20220826_180911.jpg

IMG_6393.jpg

20220725_183522.jpg

20220829_174243.jpg

20220902_115620.jpg

Omg I'm going deer hunting! Thus is all my gear, going just try to stab one with my arrow. Just kidding, the rest of the stuff is in my truck already. Heading out in about an hour.

It is hard to believe it was about 15 years ago that I started researching and gathering gear for a Colorado archery mule deer hunt and only now will be truly my first time. I was living in WNY at the time and my only exposure to the idea had been through EBJ magazines I had picked up to get me through flights to go trout fishing.

After we moved to Colorado, the first hunting season we didn't have residency at the time of the draw and thus I only picked up an OTC archery elk tag. Somehow, despite reading all those magazines I didn't understand the concept of the draw and preference points.

I had an awesome time elk hunting and thus archery season became devoted to that. I'm generally not a fan of having multiple tags in my pocket if I can instead choose seasons to focus on specific species. This has definitely NOT paid off for me in the long run as I've had a terrible track record with mule deer, and had plenty in bow range while elk hunting.

I've since had a couple archery tags where it was legal to take a mule deer, but it was very low odss so I pretty much focused on whitetails.

This is definitely not the alpine backpacking adventure I had been dreaming back then, but I'm pretty excited to give it a go even though my scouting hasn't been very fruitful.

I'll be able to scout/hunt tonight, the weekend and Monday morning. I don't know if I'll have signal.

@vanish

Picture game already in good form!

Hoping the adventure brings much peace for your spirit, and perhaps meat on the table.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back