Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Valles Caldera Land Lawsuit

TLowell02

I was browsing through the New Mexico Wildlife Federation newsletter today when I came across the article about the Jemez Pueblo vs. United States regarding ownership of the Caldera. Apparently a U.S. District judge is supposed to determine a ruling this summer if the Jemez have claim over the land. Has anyone else heard of this suit or been following along? This was the first I have heard of it.

https://nmwildlife.org/news/federal-judge-rule-jemez-pueblos-claim-valles-caldera/

First i've heard of it. The indians always claim sovereignty when it comes to land, gambling laws or speed traps. ...They never seem to want to use those funds to pay for schools, roads, fire protection or utilities.

Funny, that.

The history of land use in the Caldera goes back thousands of years. Either we all own it or no one does.

The list of "rightful owners" of this land is very long...so Jemez needs to get take a number and get in line. Which of nearly one dozen local Pueblo tribes gets to lay claim? Does any one own it more than the rest? It was purchased from folks who purchased it from a Spanish land grant...do they have any historical claim here?

The solution we have now grants all citizens access to this special land that has a long and bloody history. All previous solutions led either to violence or NO TRESPASSING signs. The current status is as fair as it can possibly get in this democracy. Why screw it up? #KeepItPublic

Who didn't see a flood of tribal land/rights claims coming on the heels of the recent USSC Crow hunting decision?

These cases take much longer to litigate than that. SCOTUS ruling has nothing to do with it.

My problem with this case, unlike the Crow decision, is that the arguments are moral and emotionally charged rather than legally or logically sound.

I believe the Jemez have filed several times before.
Also agree with aggieoutlaw.

My worry is that entire area including the Valle Caldara has always been called the Jemez. My hope is that if the Jemez tribe had ownership of the Valle Caldera they would have put there pueblo there. There present domicile does not compare.

My heart says they have a chance.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back