Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

WSA's: MT Representatives Stance

Sytes

Tester and Gianforte have been a bit slower getting back regarding the further inquiry of their stance on Wilderness Study Areas.

To share a start point for communication with our MT Representatives, this is the following from ---> to:

Senator Daines,

Thank you for your response to my concerns over LWCF...

I would like to add my concerns over removing protections from all the WSA's in MT. I am not in support to keep the WSA's as they are and do not support making them all Wilderness. I would like to see GAO's report on the WSA's acted upon. Remove those from the WSA status back to their respective Federal Agency and implement those recommended to Wilderness Act protected - as reviewed/assessed.

https://www.gao.gov/mobile/products/RCED-93-151

Thank you for your time reviewing my concerns.

Sincerely,
XXXXXX XXXXXX

Senator Steve Daines:

Dear XXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting me regarding your support for S. 2206, the Protect Public Use of Public Lands Act. As a fifth-generation Montanan and avid outdoorsman, I know how important access and use of our public lands are to our state. Congress has failed to do its job and this has led to less access and less recreation on our public lands. That is why I introduced S. 2206 and I thank you for your support.

As you may know, the 1977 Montana Wilderness Study Act designated certain areas in Montana as Wilderness Study Areas (WSAs). These areas were to be studied for five years by the U.S. Forest Service (USFS) to determine if they were or were not suitable for a wilderness designation. It was then up to Congress to designate as wilderness or release the WSAs from consideration. My bill, the Protect Public Use of Public Lands Act, releases five WSAs that the USFS decided were not suitable for wilderness designation: the West Pioneer, Sapphire, Middle Fork Judith, Big Snowies, and a portion of the Blue Joint. It has been nearly 35 years since the USFS completed its original analysis which included extensive research and public input. In that time, we have seen uses on these lands decline. Yet, Congress has failed to enact legislation to address many of their recommendations. Under my bill, this land remains public land for all to use, and any new uses will be considered through a public planning process, in accordance with environmental laws.

I have heard extensively from the Montanans who live near and use these particular WSAs, the local County Commissioners, recreation and sportsmen's groups, farmers and ranchers, and even the Montana State Legislature, and they want to see more access and use of these areas. They want Congress to finish the job that Congress started 40 years ago. Over the last couple of decades, the Forest Service has been restricting the historical use of these WSAs. Hunters, mountain bikers, snowmobilers, farmers, ranchers, and off-road users are losing more and more trails, and being kicked out of the public lands they and their children cherish. This not only hurts our family traditions, it hurts Montana's over six billion dollar outdoor economy. For these reasons, I introduced S. 2206 and look forward to shepherding it through Congress and getting it on the President's desk so that more Montanans can have access to and use their public lands.
Again, thanks for your support and for contacting me. It is my number one priority in Senate to represent the values and interests of the people of Montana, and your input is very helpful as I do. I invite you to visit my website, www.daines.senate.gov, for updates about activities in Washington that affect our lives in Montana or to contact me. I look forward to hearing from you again in the future.
Sincerely,

Signature

Steve Daines
United States Senator

I know how important access and use of our public lands are to our state.
I received the same BS from Daines, twice after refuting some of his malarky. "Access" according to Sen Daines, Rep Gianforte, and Montana House Rep Kerry White, is defined only by roaded access, industrial or commercial access, resource extraction access, and motorized access. Access for recreational activities doesn't count as access, according to their perspectives. Ask them.

Back