PEAX Equipment

Vaccinate the Skunks!

If you aren't tuned into the brucellosis discussion and you live or hunt elk in MT/ID/WY, it would behoove you to get up to date on the topic. The next two years is going to be the assault on elk in the name of brucellosis eradication. I have not read the Farm Bill, but if $35 millions was granted to capture the wildlife carrying brucellosis in the Greater Yellowstone Area, things are going to get interesting even sooner than expected.

Just in case you want to read that section of the "Farm" Bill, it's pages 1127-1130, of the following link;
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-113s954pp/pdf/BILLS-113s954pp.pdf

We're lobbying that money be allocated to develop an effective livestock vaccine. A win-win!
Except the farm bill is in limbo as usual, as the dairy industry is pitching a fit. I can understand that milking, twice a day, every day could make one crabby, but...

Randy, why isn't the Elk Foundation highlighting this? I know they need to balance their interests from different groups, but at the end of the day this is about elk. If they are going to post a billboard about the 80% reduction in the northern herd, IMO they should be discussing this as well.

I'm sure it won't sit easy with those supporters that have cattle interests, but it's something that needs to be said.

Randy, why isn't the Elk Foundation highlighting this? I know they need to balance their interests from different groups, but at the end of the day this is about elk. If they are going to post a billboard about the 80% reduction in the northern herd, IMO they should be discussing this as well.

I'm sure it won't sit easy with those supporters that have cattle interests, but it's something that needs to be said.

RMEF is monitoring all that is going on in these state-federal brucellosis projects, not just in Montana, but other states impacted by brucellosis - Idaho and Wyoming. We have a person who is directed to stay involved in this topic for the organization, along with many on the board who follow it from their own individual perspectives.

RMEF will be advocating for wild elk. Exactly how/when positions and comments are provided , and through which channels, will be decided by the communications and policy folks at RMEF.

Rest assured, this is on the radar screen of RMEF. I have had many discussions about brucellosis since my board position started and there have been a lot of discussions in the last few months. RMEF provided comments last August to the Montana FWP Commission related to the Department's involvement in the brucellosis issue.

One of the things folks need to understand is that vaccination of wildlife and many of current brucellosis policies are aimed at eradication. Our Montana FWP elk brucellosis working group outlined 3 strategic objectives and the FWP Commission approved them as follows:
1) Minimize transmission - the first agency to endorse minimizing transmission and NOT eradication - all other government agencies endorse eradication and Governor Bullock has sent out e-mails supporting elimination of brucellosis.

2) Maximize satisfaction for four user groups'
Livestock producers
Sportsmen
Land owners - who may not be producers
Wildlife enthusiasts - who may not be hunters

3) Maximize cost effectiveness

Eradication attempts will fail unless all elk, bison, and possibly even rodents are removed - massive test and slaughter and then possibly re-population - not practical. So if we hope to move into a discussion of minimizing transmission so we can have some affect we need to stop doing what we have always done. Doing so is how we got here and I believe doing the same thing and expecting different results is defined by some as stupidity.

So using Farm Bill appropriations in the same manner as they have always been used because that is what we have always done is in short - STUPID. Directing those funds into a cattle vaccine or towards creative solutions like a slaughter plant inside the DSA(those animals would not be subjected to testing) or encouraging spayed heifer and steer operations(again no additional testing requirements) as opposed to cow calf operations might be of great benefit in minimizing transmissions. There are ways of having both the livestock industry and the tourism industry prosper, BUT to do so we need to work towards minimizing transmission and to stop doing what we have always done.

Our livestock producing friends are being told that this is a wildlife problem and so they don't feel a need to help with finding a solution. Our elected officials - read Bullock - need to become leaders and encourage an open transparent processes to minimize the risk. To continue to have no position(no statewide brucellosis plan) or to keep reusing old postions(eliminating brucellosis) when they are not realistically possible is damaging to all sides, and to Montana's future.

Please consider contacting the Governor and ask him for his position on solving the brucellosis issue. Ask that both wildlife and livestock be allowed to prosper - not one or the other. Ask for leadership in crafting a solution that best suits all sides not continued finger pointing and blame - that is what leaders do!

Back