PEAX Equipment

Utard video

The Hedgehog

I get it. Shit happens. But when it does, make a youtube video of it and put a score guess thread on the internet. Takeaways.. that camera stand - must have.

Not an ounce of meat.

I get it. Shit happens. But when it does, make a youtube video of it and put a score guess thread on the internet. Takeaways.. that camera stand - must have.

Not an ounce of meat.

Bunch of Boners. Maybe a 300" bull

My son in law is a wizard with onX. His bull rolled out of sight in to some timber. He dropped a pin from where we were at when he shot to where the bull was. mtmuley
There's a compass tool, if you know the range of the animal, you can drop a pin in that direction at that distance and it will usually get you pretty close to where you shot it.

My son in law is a wizard with onX. His bull rolled out of sight in to some timber. He dropped a pin from where we were at when he shot to where the bull was. mtmuley
I am still learning my way around basemap but my sig range finder will drop a pin into my app. I forgot to download the maps for basemap this last season but my self dropped points in onx were not noticeably different.

Loading the high resolution offline maps into my onx instead of low res made a huge difference for accurately dropping points

Used the compass tool to be sure I was good on a group of elk this year. Pretty neat technology. I'll have a lot more confidence in it in the future. Waited way longer than I needed to just to be extra sure they were on public.

Also kinda bugs me that he generated a few hundred views, and some money, just from the content being shared - even in an unapproving light.

I dont get how you give up looking so quick? Would it have been that hard to locate him on a map with onx and... walk there ?
Yeah, or even easier. Have one of the gaggle of friends you have stay on one side while the rest of the gaggle hike across the canyon. He didn't shoot six miles.

All this technology does is remove common sense. Woodsmanship doesn't exist anymore.

Video's like that make me question this big tent approach of getting more people into hunting. I don't think so.

I guess I didn’t watch the video close enough but I didn’t see them say that they weren’t able to salvage any of the meat?
They lost 100% of the meat by letting it lay with the guts in it over night. Of course it was "sketchy" out there, and their headlamps were going dead. Might as well forget about 250 lbs of elk meat, we'll go get a good night's sleep, come back mid morning, hike in 10 minutes, take a couple pictures and call it good.

Yeah, or even easier. Have one of the gaggle of friends you have stay on one side while the rest of the gaggle hike across the canyon. He didn't shoot six miles.

All this technology does is remove common sense. Woodsmanship doesn't exist anymore.

Video's like that make me question this big tent approach of getting more people into hunting. I don't think so.
I have flagging tape in my pack that I have used to mark where I shot from. mtmuley

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back