Utah Wasatch elk

Hirtlene

I've been a member here for a while now. Don't post much but do alot of reading. I found out this weekend that I drew a Utah Wasatch late season rifle elk tag. Still can't believe it. Being over 45 hours driving away I'm not going to get to scout this summer. I've started to do some looking on line and it's a large unit. Alot of good notes in the hunt planer as well.
I'm not new to elk hunting and have been secsessful 5 out of 6 times I've gone out west for elk. Can't seem to get enough of mountain hunting.
I'm wondering if anyone that has hunted Wasatch mountians would be willing to share some info. PM would be great. I'm not looking for anyone's spots just generally direction on where to start. Thanks

Don’t pass on the first pretty 6x6 you see. Seriously it’s not a trophy hunt. Tons of elk all over the unit though.

Thanks. I'm not much of a trophy hunter. Usually it's the first legal bull I see but I would like a mature bull on this hunt.
Being mid November I'm wondering how much snow will be down?

Thanks. I'm not much of a trophy hunter. Usually it's the first legal bull I see but I would like a mature bull on this hunt.
Being mid November I'm wondering how much snow will be down?
Depends. More than likely some. May not be a lot. Look to find them on southeast facing slopes.

In 2020 opening day was the 7th. I killed my bull about 20 minutes after legal light. It was one of those beautiful fall days that just couldn’t be any nicer, perfect crispness to the air blue skys no snow and elk everywhere. Buddy had a tag as well. Two days later we didn’t leave the tent. Watched it snow and blow and snow some more. We stayed in the low country mostly but about day 6 I wanted to check out an area I had hunted a long time ago up pretty high. We chained up and gave her hell but the snow was just to deep. Be prepared for anything.

In 2020 opening day was the 7th. I killed my bull about 20 minutes after legal light. It was one of those beautiful fall days that just couldn’t be any nicer, perfect crispness to the air blue skys no snow and elk everywhere. Buddy had a tag as well. Two days later we didn’t leave the tent. Watched it snow and blow and snow some more. We stayed in the low country mostly but about day 6 I wanted to check out an area I had hunted a long time ago up pretty high. We chained up and gave her hell but the snow was just to deep. Be prepared for anything.
Congrats on the bull. Sound like a great day. Love them days, they seem to be very few like that here at home. Did your buddy end up filling his tag?

He did on the last day. He had passed on many bulls the same size as the one he shot but we just couldn’t turn up anything much over 300 that wasn’t broken.

The late hunt is highly dependant on the snow out here. Bring gaiters and plan for the weather the closer it gets. I've had a few feet of snow on the ground at that time or still full on summer with 80 degree weather in the valley. Hope for snow but plan to hunt spread out bachelor herds. I'd also take the first legal bull but that's me.

I've been a member here for a while now. Don't post much but do alot of reading. I found out this weekend that I drew a Utah Wasatch late season rifle elk tag. Still can't believe it. Being over 45 hours driving away I'm not going to get to scout this summer. I've started to do some looking on line and it's a large unit. Alot of good notes in the hunt planer as well.
I'm not new to elk hunting and have been secsessful 5 out of 6 times I've gone out west for elk. Can't seem to get enough of mountain hunting.
I'm wondering if anyone that has hunted Wasatch mountians would be willing to share some info. PM would be great. I'm not looking for anyone's spots just generally direction on where to start. Thanks
I allso drew the archery tag this year for this unit. I would be willing to help you with what I find out during my hunt

I allso drew the archery tag this year for this unit. I would be willing to help you with what I find out during my hunt
He did on the last day. He had passed on many bulls the same size as the one he shot but we just couldn’t turn up anything much over 300 that wasn’t broken.
Any info you could share to point a archery drawer in the right direction would be awesome

My stepdad drew the early rifle this year, as a Vietnam vet this will probably be his one and only chance to chase a mature bull. Ill pass along any info even though things will probably change by the time your hunt starts. Good luck.

My stepdad drew the early rifle this year, as a Vietnam vet this will probably be his one and only chance to chase a mature bull. Ill pass along any info even though things will probably change by the time your hunt starts. Good luck.
Congratulations to your step-dad. Yes things may be different but it's still elk hunting. Good luck

My brother just drew the Wasatch archery tag this year and we’re trying to gather as much information as possible. We’re from Oregon and never stepped foot in Utah before. Any helpful hints, drainages places to scout or glass , etc. would be appreciated.

Hey guys,, Picked up late entry archery elk for the Wasatch. Trying to salvage 2 to 3 days of hunting in December towards the season end. Just got last minute cancellation from my guide. I want to salvage it. Any help pointing me in the right direction toward a trail head and public location would be appreciated. Certainly open to any freelance guides that might have time open up.. Dave

Hey guys,, Picked up late entry archery elk for the Wasatch. Trying to salvage 2 to 3 days of hunting in December towards the season end. Just got last minute cancellation from my guide. I want to salvage it. Any help pointing me in the right direction toward a trail head and public location would be appreciated. Certainly open to any freelance guides that might have time open up.. Dave
I sent you a dm. Let's link up

Finished up my hunt on Sunday evening. Shot a nice 6x6 at 450 yards across a canyon at just after 5pm. We saw a lot of elk but this guy was the biggest. Not sure what he will score but I'll try to get it done some time soon a post it. It was a great hunt! Thanks to all the hunt talkers that gave me input, advice and help along the way. It is really appreciated.

Finished up my hunt on Sunday evening. Shot a nice 6x6 at 450 yards across a canyon at just after 5pm. We saw a lot of elk but this guy was the biggest. Not sure what he will score but I'll try to get it done some time soon a post it. It was a great hunt! Thanks to all the hunt talkers that gave me input, advice and help along the way. It is really appreciated.
I was wondering if there was going to be hunt report or someone complaining about how people come on here, ask for advice, then leave. Congrats on the great bull and thanks for coming back on here and letting us know how you did.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back