Caribou Gear

Utah new limited entry hunts

Hotrodlincoln

What does everyone think about Utah’s attempt to curb the point creep? The new HAMS units and the late muzzy LE units...

I plan on applying for a late Muzzleloader deer hunt. It will be the same time as the Muzzleloader elk season that I hunt every year.
As far as curbing point creep it won't do anything other than spreading the points out a little more. Until the DWR addresses ways that will actually put more animals on the landscape point creep will keep creeping.

How many tags do you think they will have in each unit? I have eight points and I wonder if that’s going to be enough to get a HAMS tag...

I plan on applying for a late Muzzleloader deer hunt. It will be the same time as the Muzzleloader elk season that I hunt every year.
As far as curbing point creep it won't do anything other than spreading the points out a little more. Until the DWR addresses ways that will actually put more animals on the landscape point creep will keep creeping.

I don’t think number of animals is the problem. My understanding is that they harvest far fewer animals than the the population could withstand in order to maximize quality. Under such a situation point creep in unavoidable.

I don’t think number of animals is the problem. My understanding is that they harvest far fewer animals than the the population could withstand in order to maximize quality. Under such a situation point creep in unavoidable.
Probably more about keeping good trophy quality so they can auction off more tags for as much money as possible.

Probably more about keeping good trophy quality so they can auction off more tags for as much money as possible.

I definitely meant trophy quality when I said quality. I don’t know how much is for the auction tags and how much Utah residents themselves actually ask for. A resident could probably answer that better.

What does everyone think about Utah’s attempt to curb the point creep? The new HAMS units and the late muzzy LE units...

It really depends on how many tags they allocate as to whether or not point creep is affected. If they keep taking away bonus point tags by spreading tag allocation, point creep is here to stay.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back