Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Utah Hunting

ginkgo72

Is Utah worth getting in the "bonus points" game? It seems like it will take a lifetime to draw some of the limted entry tags...forget about sheep.

Anyone an expert on Utah?

Half of the tags go in a random drawing, so there is always a chance. In fact, in many of the draws there is only 1 non-resident tag available, so bonus points do you no good (if only 1 tag, it goes in the random draw). You don't have to front the money for the tag and you only have to purchase a hunting license every other year, so it is a relatively "cheap" state. That said, odds are not very good. If you're not hung up on hunting the Henry Mtns for deer or the San Juan or Pahvant for elk, you could probably draw a decent tag in 10 years. I have a friend who drew a mountain goat tag about 3 years ago with 3 bonus points, and killed a B&C net goat. Would have never happened if he decided that applying wasn't "worth it." ;)

Half of the tags go in a random drawing, so there is always a chance. In fact, in many of the draws there is only 1 non-resident tag available, so bonus points do you no good (if only 1 tag, it goes in the random draw). You don't have to front the money for the tag and you only have to purchase a hunting license every other year, so it is a relatively "cheap" state. That said, odds are not very good. If you're not hung up on hunting the Henry Mtns for deer or the San Juan or Pahvant for elk, you could probably draw a decent tag in 10 years. I have a friend who drew a mountain goat tag about 3 years ago with 3 bonus points, and killed a B&C net goat. Would have never happened if he decided that applying wasn't "worth it." ;)
Very good summation!!

One advantage about applying for Utah is that from what I understand, they changed for NR that you can apply for all species and get bonus pts for all species. Residents only get to choose 1 of (deer, elk, antelope) for limited entry draw unit, as well as 1 (moose, goat or sheep). That is how the NR drawing was too, until 4 years ago, when you could start getting bonus pts for all species as a NR. So really you are only 4 years behind the rest of us that have large amount of bonus pts for 1 of the main 3, and then 1 of the big 3, but 4 bonus pts for the remainder of the species. Please someone correct me if I am wrong on that. I have 4 bonus pts for all species the last time I looked, and I believe I started the first year that NR's could apply for all species. It is definitely not too late to get on the bandwagon, especially since 50% of tags go into random drawing.

One advantage about applying for Utah is that from what I understand, they changed for NR that you can apply for all species and get bonus pts for all species. Residents only get to choose 1 of (deer, elk, antelope) for limited entry draw unit, as well as 1 (moose, goat or sheep). That is how the NR drawing was too, until 4 years ago, when you could start getting bonus pts for all species as a NR. So really you are only 4 years behind the rest of us that have large amount of bonus pts for 1 of the main 3, and then 1 of the big 3, but 4 bonus pts for the remainder of the species. Please someone correct me if I am wrong on that. I have 4 bonus pts for all species the last time I looked, and I believe I started the first year that NR's could apply for all species. It is definitely not too late to get on the bandwagon, especially since 50% of tags go into random drawing.

Then again, I don't want to hurt my odds for the NR tags, so I will change my post to "Not worth it, don't apply for Utah" :)

Not sure on when that actually took place, but that is correct. R's can apply for one LE and OIL tag. NRs can apply for everything.

Not completely sure that this is an advantage. More like another way to get more NR money coming in and make the odds even worse for the NR.

Not completely sure that this is an advantage. More like another way to get more NR money coming in and make the odds even worse for the NR.

Good point, probably not an advantage, as it will definitely kill the odds. But I'm in my early 30's, I have a legitimate chance at drawing both an elk and deer limited entry tag in my lifetime by building pts for both, same goes for lets say moose and goat. If I wasn't able to build pts at the same time, then I would think it would be 0% chance of me hunting more than one premium entry tag Elk/deer and one premium OIL tag.

If you have the extra cash and a lot of years to wait, I'd say go for it as there's nothing to lose. Your money and time provide much more opportunity in every other western state though.

Other than all the Mossback videos and such...how is the trophy quality in UT?
I'd only be looking for a trophy / type hunt....spending my yearly hunting time in WY or MT

Other than all the Mossback videos and such...how is the trophy quality in UT?
I'd only be looking for a trophy / type hunt....spending my yearly hunting time in WY or MT

If you are only looking for the true trophy hunt units, than it is really not worth your time building pts, you are too far behind in the game to try to draw the top Utah units. If you are looking for a chance to hunt new terrain, get a chance to see lots of animals, and few hunters (compared to Colorado, Wyoming, Montana general area tags) than put in for Utah. If you are interested in only putting in for Utah because you want to draw the top 1-3 units for each species, than you should probably spend your money in another state, as you will have very low odds in your lifetime of drawing those tags.

+1 of Eff Mossback :hump:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back