Utah closes shed antler hunting until May 1st

It's sad that its come to this but to blame shed hunters is BS. Calling them a "major disturbance"

7ah26c.jpg

It's sad that its come to this but to blame shed hunters is BS. Calling them a "major disturbance"

View attachment 263932

1675896687362.png

Seen here: A skier preparing to disturb ungulates on their winter range near Little Cottonwood Canyon...

Last I checked, winter range doesn't make for the best skiing, and ski favorites don't make for the best winter range. Something about animals moving to where there's food, and skiers going to where there's more snow 🤷‍♂️

Not saying that Shed Hunters are the sole problem, but they are still a very large part of the problem, as they are the ones directly interacting on the winter range while the animals are there, and they are also the easiest to regulate, since I don't see the residential sprawl of housing and roads slowing anytime soon, bringing the dog walkers with it.

View attachment 263933

Seen here: A skier preparing to disturb ungulates on their winter range near Little Cottonwood Canyon...

Last I checked, winter range doesn't make for the best skiing, and ski favorites don't make for the best winter range. Something about animals moving to where there's food, and skiers going to where there's more snow 🤷‍♂️

Not saying that Shed Hunters are the sole problem, but they are still a very large part of the problem, as they are the ones directly interacting on the winter range while the animals are there, and they are also the easiest to regulate, since I don't see the residential sprawl of housing and roads slowing anytime soon, bringing the dog walkers with it.
Shed hunters are absolutely the problem.

A bro is watching 9 bulls on their winter range, waiting for them to drop their antlers. Anybody that has glassed animals this time of year know that they are doing anything they can to survive without added pressure of the bros. The bro sees the first bull drop his antlers. He wants to wait until they all shed so he can go gather them all up, but is afraid somebody else is going to snatch it up before he gets to it. The bro cannot let that happen or else his gram followers will be dissappointed. He decides to sneek in and grab it. When he does all 9 bulls blow out, adding additional unnessesary stress to their already gaunt carcasses.

People live for the approval of people they dont even know and I believe that, and the price of brown gold, is at the heart of it.

View attachment 263933

All those skiers and the people hosting them need infrastructure. Pretty hard on mule deer winter range.
014A7E5A-0A13-4A17-BF5E-6A52B88846FE.jpeg

View attachment 263933

Idaho has a few skier /deer collisions a year and sometimes elk and moose.

This one was the most recent this year.

"The second was also a cow moose that had been standing directly underneath a ski lift at Bald Mountain near Ketchum on Jan. 19. After skiers had been coming too close to the moose, it was relocated to Fish Creek as well."
Here is one

"Professional skiers Karl Fostvedt and Wing Tai Barrymore were skiing at Sun Valley, Idaho with their buddy Harlan, when a deer ran out right in front of Harlan, and they collided, ultimately killing the deer."

Here is one

"Professional skiers Karl Fostvedt and Wing Tai Barrymore were skiing at Sun Valley, Idaho with their buddy Harlan, when a deer ran out right in front of Harlan, and they collided, ultimately killing the deer."
How tf do you kill a deer by hitting it skiing and not seriously mess yourself up?

Idaho is currently proposing we have extra cow hunts in January1st -February 28th . We will now be shooting cows with 5 to 6 month old fetuses here. 1.5 elk per tag.

You guys know what bothers elk? Shooting them.
If you shoot a cow you are killing multiple elk per tag regardless of the time of year. Future fecundity. Hunting them in Jan and February is still stupid tho.

If you shoot a cow you are killing multiple elk per tag regardless of the time of year. Future fecundity. Hunting them in Jan and February is still stupid tho.
There is truth here but shooting a cow in October you are unlikely to have youtube videos of guys gutting elk with fetuses kicking and dieing as they do it.
Maybe Im a big softy but I wont take my wife or kids on that hunt.
If I can't do something in front of my wife I probably shouldn't do it.

All those skiers and the people hosting them need infrastructure. Pretty hard on mule deer winter range.
View attachment 263967
Absolutely, but it doesn't absolve shed hunters. Go to a known wintering area mid-March and watch guys literally run past each other in an attempt to pick up a lone antler while the bulls are still standing in the area. Point being, it's easy to point at other interest groups, as they impact wildlife as well. But at the end of the day, shed hunters will be the easy target for regulating.

View attachment 263967
Absolutely. I rode a chairlift up a Colorado resort a few years ago with a fellow many decades my senior. He was telling me about how he used to drive a two lane highway and park in the shoulder to ski the portion of the mountain we were on. I glanced behind me to see four lanes of interstate, a massive luxury hotel, and parking lots equivalent in size to NFL stadiums. I haven't been downhill skiing since.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back