Utah closes shed antler hunting until May 1st

'Don't know about Utah, but USFS areas in Montana near Yellowstone and elsewhere are closed to everything until May 15.
Where specifically? In unaware of any total closures of USFS lands on the West side. There are some closures of wildlife management areas. Are areas around Tom Miner or in the Paradise valley?

Where specifically? In unaware of any total closures of USFS lands on the West side. There are some closures of wildlife management areas. Are areas around Tom Miner or in the Paradise valley?
I know one area of national Forest for sure that has a gate on the main road. The gate is locked until May 15 and there’s a sign on the gate that says no motorized traffic until May 15 due to the area being winter range for elk. I always assumed that you could go in on foot, but I’m not positive about that.

Not certain about those areas, but would not be surprised. On west side drainages such as Teepee Creek are closed.
Closed to motorized travel or closed to everyone? Lots of the forest closes to motorized travel. But most all of it is open to snowmobiles after Dec 1 I think. I don't know of any FS that's closed to foot travel. Pretty sure you can snowmobile in Teepee. The only closures I know of are game ranges owned by the State.

View attachment 263933

Seen here: A skier preparing to disturb ungulates on their winter range near Little Cottonwood Cuckoldwood Canyon...

Last I checked, winter range doesn't make for the best skiing, and ski favorites don't make for the best winter range. Something about animals moving to where there's food, and skiers going to where there's more snow 🤷‍♂️

Not saying that Shed Hunters are the sole problem, but they are still a very large part of the problem, as they are the ones directly interacting on the winter range while the animals are there, and they are also the easiest to regulate, since I don't see the residential sprawl of housing and roads slowing anytime soon, bringing the dog walkers with it.

Along the immediate benches of the Wasatch Front in Utah, closing areas to only shed hunters and not to the runners, hikers, and dog walkers doesn’t make much sense at all. The hikers and runners are all over those foothills and low level Mtn peaks and trails. If the goal is to not pressure the animals then you really need to think about prohibiting any type of access to the foothills.

Along the immediate benches of the Wasatch Front in Utah, closing areas to only shed hunters and not to the runners, hikers, and dog walkers doesn’t make much sense at all. The hikers and runners are all over those foothills and low level Mtn peaks and trails. If the goal is to not pressure the animals then you really need to think about prohibiting any type of access to the foothills.
The Utah DWR doesn’t have the ability to close USFS land to activities that aren’t wildlife related. That would have to come through the USFS.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back