Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Utah Application Dilemma

Spitz

Disclaimer, I'm only applying for points, I know the deadline has passed for applications.

So, I've got three points for deer. In ten years or so when I can actually draw a decent permit with my points I think I'd prefer to hunt elk. But if I started getting elk points now I'd be so far behind that it may be better to just accept that I'll be hunting deer instead. But then in ten years I'd have ten elk points, which can't be all that bad, right? What do you guys think?

Another disclaimer: I know this is a lame and boring post, but, aside from Greenhorn's anal lube photoshop job, and a few others, everything else lately seems to be politics, which promise to drag on for 9 more months. :D

Spitz:

I would love to follow along on your Henry Mountain mule deer hunt in ten years. Keep after the deer.

In for a penny, in for a pound. I agree with the others. Besides, deer are more fun to hunt. ;)

I agree, stay in for the deer. Those three points only cast you $30, the next three will be at least $225... Don't throw away the cheap ones.

You can draw a great elk tag with one point.... :D :D

I'm just starting my deer point game. Stick with it. We'll go hunt together in 10 years !!

Hunting licenses are good for one year from the purchase date, not calendar year. Buy your hunting license in the middle of January and you can use it for two application periods. So you only need 2 licenses in 3 years (or four years).

So now that Utah charges for points (licenses) do you think the non resident odds will improve ?

Spitz, stick with the deer. I have 8 elk points and feel like I'm so far behind I may never draw a good tag. Hey if you want to see a lame post go look at some of that political stuff.

Oak, I'm going to check the date my lic. was issued, thanks.

Thanks for the advice. I agree and went with the deer point. Also picked up my second desert bighorn point while I was at it. I should be a shoo-in for that tag by the time I hit 60 or so. :D

So now that Utah charges for points (licenses) do you think the non resident odds will improve ?
Very little if at all, IMO, because how bad the competition already is. Couple that with the few amount of tags and I think you'll see little difference. You're chances could increase 100%, but but a jump from 0.5% to 1.0% is very little...

WY's will have a better chance of increasing due to the price.

Oak- You are correct. Quite the thinker... I wonder if enough people start doing that if they'll go to a calendar year for the licenses??

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alaska2Montana
Back