Utah any bull or Colorado 2nd rifle

Deadeye410

I have searched threads and don’t see a whole lot about any bull hunts in Utah. Specifically north slope. They look like a A great hunt. Early. Chance of hearing bugles. I’m sure lots of pressure but compared to let’s say unit 4 Colorado 2nd pressure or any other Colorado otc unit. Any thoughts to help me make my decision. Not looking for any kind of trophy. Just want to enjoy the mountains and possibly fill my first elk tag. Hunted salmon zone Idaho b tag last year and ate a big old helping of humble pie. Too rough for this flat lander. So looking for slightly less extreme terrain as well. Any info/suggestions are very appreciated.

I have searched threads and don’t see a whole lot about any bull hunts in Utah. Specifically north slope. They look like a A great hunt. Early. Chance of hearing bugles. I’m sure lots of pressure but compared to let’s say unit 4 Colorado 2nd pressure or any other Colorado otc unit. Any thoughts to help me make my decision. Not looking for any kind of trophy. Just want to enjoy the mountains and possibly fill my first elk tag. Hunted salmon zone Idaho b tag last year and ate a big old helping of humble pie. Too rough for this flat lander. So looking for slightly less extreme terrain as well. Any info/suggestions are very appreciated.
I have searched threads and don’t see a whole lot about any bull hunts in Utah.
-There is your answer

Something to consider you're looking at 3-12% success being able to hunt all of archery, muzzy, rifle... with 2 weeks of rifle.

CO has 1st season rifle hunts you can get as leftovers with 25-30% success rates, and the season is 5 days long... what does that tell you.

Last edited:
I haven't hunted Colorado, but I have hunted the Utah general rifle hunt for a few years. It is the most challenging hunt I have done. I don't consider it a quality hunt, few animals, lots of pressure, etc. I have a ton of respect for those few who are consistently successful on the Utah general rifle elk hunt. I have hunted and killed elk in Montana, and have taken a number of cows in Utah, but the general Utah bull has eluded me. Even seeing elk on those hunts has been difficult for me. That's part of the appeal, figuring it out, but so far it has been tough.

One thing that I have learned hunting the general any bull elk season here in Utah vs other places with higher populations: there have to be elk on the hill in order to find them. For massive chunks of Utah any bull hunts, the denisities are so low or non existent (on public land that it is), that it makes it a very difficult hunt. There is a small group of people that do well every year because they know where the elk like to concentrate, information that I am sure it took years to gather.

I have searched threads and don’t see a whole lot about any bull hunts in Utah.
-There is your answer

Something to consider you're looking at 3-12% success being able to hunt all of archery, muzzy, rifle... with 2 weeks of rifle.

CO has 1st season rifle hunts you can get as leftovers with 25-30% success rates, and the season is 5 days long... what does that tell you.
I will have to look into those leftover tags. Thank you

Looks like no leftovers this year 😕

CO system is a bit confusing.

1. Regular Draw - Spring
2. Secondary Draw- Summer (tags that didn't go in regular draw)
3. Leftover and reissued list- fall (tags that didn't go in either draw + any tag that someone turned back in over the course of the summer/ before the season)

Generally speaking there are leftover tags in the Flattops, Middlepark, and probably SW CO this year for archery. Sangres also tend to have lots of leftovers.

Anywhere a guy might find a list of what was on the leftover list year. So I could do a little research over the next few weeks and pick a couple of units. And avoid gettting a “salmon zone” terrain tag in an online panic. Saw a great article on go hunt Going over how to login but stall at the residency page until after the time but no lists. Thanks guys I finally feel like I’m on the right track. Btw I’m gaining points In Wyoming “2 now” and have a general elk deer combo Montana point good for next years draw. So it won’t be such a last minute Charlie Foxtrot again.

CO system is a bit confusing.

1. Regular Draw - Spring
2. Secondary Draw- Summer (tags that didn't go in regular draw)
3. Leftover and reissued list- fall (tags that didn't go in either draw + any tag that someone turned back in over the course of the summer/ before the season)

Generally speaking there are leftover tags in the Flattops, Middlepark, and probably SW CO this year for archery. Sangres also tend to have lots of leftovers.
Interested in rifle as I will be solo and need the weather to be a bit cooler. Mainly because it might take me a little while to get one out solo. I would be devastated to lose a bunch of meat due to my physical shortcomings and heat.

Of history is any lesson they will produce the leftover list the last day of this month and it will be posted on the cpw website. It gives you about a week to go over it and figure out a plan

Anywhere a guy might find a list of what was on the leftover list year. So I could do a little research over the next few weeks and pick a couple of units. And avoid gettting a “salmon zone” terrain tag in an online panic. Saw a great article on go hunt Going over how to login but stall at the residency page until after the time but no lists. Thanks guys I finally feel like I’m on the right track. Btw I’m gaining points In Wyoming “2 now” and have a general elk deer combo Montana point good for next years draw. So it won’t be such a last minute Charlie Foxtrot again.

I meant to save a copy of the .pdf last year but I never did..

You can pull the detailed draw summary, any tag that has a pile of leftover tags will be on the list.

Example, no way 2,400 are going in the secondary draw.

1594826404621.png

Find a code with leftovers, look up in the brochure which units it covers then check out that unit on the webmap.

Code break down

E-M-011-O1-R
(Elk- Male- Group of units 11 - First season - Rifle)

Brochure

Map

Interested in rifle as I will be solo and need the weather to be a bit cooler. Mainly because it might take me a little while to get one out solo. I would be devastated to lose a bunch of meat due to my physical shortcomings and heat.
4th season might be something to consider.

I’ve not hunted North Slope, but have spent some time in there hiking and exploring. I wouldn’t consider it “easy” country by any means. I’ve talked to a lot of people who do hunt it, and the consensus seems to be that unless you’re willing to pack in a base camp and get setup way in before the season opener, then your odds of success are pretty slim. It would definitely favor a party hunt with pack animals.

One thing that I have learned hunting the general any bull elk season here in Utah vs other places with higher populations: there have to be elk on the hill in order to find them. For massive chunks of Utah any bull hunts, the denisities are so low or non existent (on public land that it is), that it makes it a very difficult hunt. There is a small group of people that do well every year because they know where the elk like to concentrate, information that I am sure it took years to gather.
I think you are spot on. We've been hunting spots where we have gotten into elk in August and September. But once October rolls around, they have changed habits and location. I have some hunches where they are, but the past few years I have been eliminating the places they are not. Sometimes it's hard to swallow that where you saw 100 elk two weeks ago is now void of elk. I don't think they are far from where they were, but they moved.

The only success I have had consistently finding elk usually involves catching them near borders of private property that they hold up in. I wouldn’t even call it that consistent. The elk definitely move around and keep together in small pockets, which can make them very difficult to find in big country especially as large as the north slope

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back