MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

UT bonus point, worth the purchase?

Cheaha

I did not apply for an elk tag in Utah this year, but I did purchase a bull elk bonus point. I thought I may as well start building them up. After some research I am still not sure if it was worth the effort. I am having difficulty understanding the difference between bonus points and preference points in Utah. Is the bonus point I purchased going to increase my chances when I eventually have the time to try for a Utah hunt? Should I keep buying them? Thanks for any insight.

How old are you?

I started accumulating bonus points in Utah 3 years ago at age 29 and I really don't ever expect to draw an elk tag there. I put in every year and hope lightening strikes, but odds are it will not. If I'm lucky I may get a tag when I'm in my 60's but I'm not counting on it. I look at it as a fairly cheap lottery ticket. In the years I don't have hunts planned I'll put in for lesser units and in years I am booked I'll put in for the nearly impossible tags. For me it's worth it to hope someday I could draw, but it probably isn't very practical. The way Utah is going, all of their nonresident tags will just be auctioned off eventually, anyways.

I just turned 60, just got off my 5 year wait period and started applying again. I would suggest you buy your license the last day and use it for two application years, cutting the cost to about $30. You don't need a license to hunt Elk in Utah, only to apply.
I think I can draw one more tag but it'll be a scrub unit.

If WapitiBob thinks it can be done, then I just got a lot more optimistic! Definitely listen to him before me. He knows his stuff.

I don't have a clue between a Bonus point vs preference point. I think they are the same just different states use different terms. As for the what units to apply for. I would just pick the unit you want and keep applying or buying the points. You would feel real good pulling that better units on luck vs waiting! Also what if you apply for a lesser unit just because you want a chance, get it but burn your 10+ points. Now you wait, wait, wait, etc.

I agree with the buy the license the last day of the drawing so it is good for the next year also. You will then need to re/new it if you draw.

I don't have a clue between a Bonus point vs preference point. I think they are the same just different states use different terms.

There is a big difference and it's an important thing to know. Randy has youtube videos that explain it, along with all the information you need to know on these various states. Definitely look them up.

Bonus points = More names in the hat with each point you accumulate.

Preference Point = Those with the most points draw and you work your way down until all tags are gone

There are tags in Utah that you have almost no chance of drawing your entire life. If you only apply for them your years of application fees and licenses will likely be wasted. Of course, there is a chance, but it would be like banking on winning the powerball to fund your retirement. It's just not realistic.

Should I keep buying them?.

Nah, just go hunt. I bought into the point cool aid 8 years ago in Utah and steadily watched point creep get me further and further away from my bull tag I want. If I was to start over I wouldn't do it. I look at it this way. Your looking at about a 15 year wait for a good bull tag (This could increase). It'll cost you 75 bucks a year to put in there. Just in app fees is $1,125. That's just for one tag. For that kind of money you can rent horses or do a drop camp, buy an OTC in MT, ID, or CO and have good shot at a bull. If you talking about hunts that can be drawn every other year, or even every couple of years that might be worth it. I seriously have been debating if I am going to keep applying in Utah or not, and I'm 8 points in.

Last edited:
It depends on what you are going for.

You odds are better at pulling a wasatch, manti, or fish lake in the early stages. Or you can shoot at other units. I drew this year with 7 points.. It can happen, but the tags are limited in Utah.

Sure they are worth the purchase. There are a lot of people that draw with just a few points every year.

NR Utah:
Hunting license $ 65
Application/point fee: $10 each for Deer, Elk, Pronghorn, Moose, D Sheep, RM Sheep, Mtn Goat, Bison,
Total $145

NR Wyoming:
RM sheep $100
Moose $75
Elk $50
Deer $40
Pronghorn $30
Total: $295

If I was a non resident, I would certainly be applying in Utah.

If you have the money do it, you may draw someday. I don't buy elk points but I do apply for limited entry deer every year and end up with a point. That being said if I ever draw that deer tag I will not re enter the UT game, not due to cost just do to the reality of point creep.

Sometimes I wish they would wipe the point board clean every 15 to 20 years and start over new. But then again I have a lot of money in points across the states

Arizona - License ~150, App Fee $15(x5), Elk Point $15, Deer Point $15, Pronghorn Point $15, Sheep Point $15, Bison Point $15 = $300 a year

Colorado - Stamp $10, App Fee $3(x7), Elk Point $40, Deer Point $40, Pronghorn Point $40, Moose Point $40, Rocky Point $40, Goat Point $40 Desert No Point (Tag Fees Up Front) = $271 a year

Idaho- License ~155, App Fee $15 (x1) - (Tag Fee upfront) $170 a year

Montana - Conservation License $10, App Fee $50(x7), Elk Point $20, Deer Point $20, Pronghorn Point $20, Bison $20, Goat $20, Sheep $20, Moose $20 - $600 a year

New Mexico - License (refundable) - $65, app fee $13(x7), no points -(Tag Fees up front) $154 a year

Nevada - License $142 - App Fee $18 elk $13 Rest, Elk Point $15, Deer Point $10, Pronghorn $10, Desert Point $10, California Point $10 = $267 a year

Utah - License ~65, App Fee $10(x9), Elk Point $10, LE Deer Point $10, GS Deer Point $10, Pronghorn Point $10, Moose Point $10, Rocky point $10, Desert Point $10, Goat Point $10, Bison point $10 = $245 a year

Wyoming- App Fee $14(x7), Elk Point $50, Deer Point $40, Pronghorn Point $30, Moose Point $75, Sheep Point $100, Bison No Point, Goat No Point (Tag Fees up front)= $379 a year

There is a lot of money involved in starting to jump into the point games in the west. It really depends on what you are going for. You can plan on hunting opportunity hunts on your way towards a trophy hunt. Or you just flock shoot and hope to get lucky. It is really your money and what you want to do. The money from Non Residents funds a lot of the wildlife that residents can enjoy. You can put in for a few or them all, but you are helping wildlife in that state either way. These points will matter less if we lose the lands that we can hunt on.

I apply in UT, MT, WY, CO, AZ, TX, and NV every year and have applied in ID, NM, AZ, KY off and on over the last 18 years.

I have 18 points for deer and sheep in UT and have not drawn either one. I also have whatever the max is for the rest when they started allowing NR's to apply for all of the species.

AZ I have applied the same number of years and have drawn 3 rifle bull elk tags, 3 late coues deer tags, desert bighorn, and a half dozen or so javelina tags. I have also taken a bobcat and lots of game birds with the annual hunting license.

Arizona may be more to apply, but IMO, is a much better bargain than UT.

But, you have to apply to draw, and I would never discourage anyone from applying in any state...good luck.

Sure they are worth the purchase. There are a lot of people that draw with just a few points every year.

NR Utah:
Hunting license $ 65
Application/point fee: $10 each for Deer, Elk, Pronghorn, Moose, D Sheep, RM Sheep, Mtn Goat, Bison,
Total $145

NR Wyoming:
RM sheep $100
Moose $75
Elk $50
Deer $40
Pronghorn $30
Total: $295

If I was a non resident, I would certainly be applying in Utah.

You should list the number of tags available here as well. Dollar for dollar comparison doesn't paint the whole picture. You'd spend far less in WY to get your deer, elk and pronghorn tags that you would in Utah.

You should list the number of tags available here as well. Dollar for dollar comparison doesn't paint the whole picture. You'd spend far less in WY to get your deer, elk and pronghorn tags that you would in Utah.

Very true, not to mention in Wyoming its possible to hunt deer, elk, and pronghorn every year AND gain a point.

Bet that's not an option in Utah.

The states are managed differently and have different sizes of herds.

Wyoming is managed for hunter opportunity and Utah is managed for trophy opportunity.

It depends which unit you are going for also. 102 in Wyoming and the Henry Mountains in Utah you may never draw for deer. 100 and pahvant you may never draw for elk. San Rafael and 59 you may never draw for antelope. Region M and Box Elder are easy draws for mule deer. Utah doesn't have easy draws for pronghorn, but doesn't have the population to support more tags. Utah Elk is about age classes and Wyoming elk is about population sizes, so there is a difference.

It's a tough thing to compare. Though, Wyoming does give a higher percentage of tags to Non Residents.

Arizona - License ~150, App Fee $15(x5), Elk Point $15, Deer Point $15, Pronghorn Point $15, Sheep Point $15, Bison Point $15 = $300 a year

Colorado - Stamp $10, App Fee $3(x7), Elk Point $40, Deer Point $40, Pronghorn Point $40, Moose Point $40, Rocky Point $40, Goat Point $40 Desert No Point (Tag Fees Up Front) = $271 a year

Idaho- License ~155, App Fee $15 (x1) - (Tag Fee upfront) $170 a year

Montana - Conservation License $10, App Fee $50(x7), Elk Point $20, Deer Point $20, Pronghorn Point $20, Bison $20, Goat $20, Sheep $20, Moose $20 - $600 a year

New Mexico - License (refundable) - $65, app fee $13(x7), no points -(Tag Fees up front) $154 a year

Nevada - License $142 - App Fee $18 elk $13 Rest, Elk Point $15, Deer Point $10, Pronghorn $10, Desert Point $10, California Point $10 = $267 a year

Utah - License ~65, App Fee $10(x9), Elk Point $10, LE Deer Point $10, GS Deer Point $10, Pronghorn Point $10, Moose Point $10, Rocky point $10, Desert Point $10, Goat Point $10, Bison point $10 = $245 a year

Wyoming- App Fee $14(x7), Elk Point $50, Deer Point $40, Pronghorn Point $30, Moose Point $75, Sheep Point $100, Bison No Point, Goat No Point (Tag Fees up front)= $379 a year

There is a lot of money involved in starting to jump into the point games in the west. It really depends on what you are going for. You can plan on hunting opportunity hunts on your way towards a trophy hunt. Or you just flock shoot and hope to get lucky. It is really your money and what you want to do. The money from Non Residents funds a lot of the wildlife that residents can enjoy. You can put in for a few or them all, but you are helping wildlife in that state either way. These points will matter less if we lose the lands that we can hunt on.

Some of your numbers are off by quite a bit.

In AZ, it's $15 per species to apply and get a point. It isn't $15 to apply AND $15 for a point.

In CO, You can buy a fishing or small game license for $56 or something and then points are free. You are looking at maybe $80 or something to get points in everything.

MT is a bit messed up with their combo tag and their refund to get the bonus point but you aren't paying $50 in an app fee for that. MT is not a state to build points for deer and elk if you aren't going to actually hunt with the combo tag. Yea for the big 3 you are paying $50 per app but not deer, elk and antelope.

I believe Utah is the same as AZ where it is $10 to apply and get the point. Or at least if you're doing points only, it is only $10 each.

Some of your numbers are off by quite a bit.

In AZ, it's $15 per species to apply and get a point. It isn't $15 to apply AND $15 for a point.

In CO, You can buy a fishing or small game license for $56 or something and then points are free. You are looking at maybe $80 or something to get points in everything.

MT is a bit messed up with their combo tag and their refund to get the bonus point but you aren't paying $50 in an app fee for that. MT is not a state to build points for deer and elk if you aren't going to actually hunt with the combo tag. Yea for the big 3 you are paying $50 per app but not deer, elk and antelope.

I believe Utah is the same as AZ where it is $10 to apply and get the point. Or at least if you're doing points only, it is only $10 each.

There may be some errors, I just pulled the info off of huntin' fool's individual state comparison. Rather than going to each state and looking it up.

However, the point was the notion that Utah is no worth it is what I was getting at. You can pay a lot of money else where with the same result of not drawing.

It's all about making a plan of what you want to hunt and how can you get there and hunt.

If you want to wait for Utah San Juan Early Elk, Arizona 13A/13B Mule Deer, Wyoming 100 Elk, etc then you will have to play the game and build the points.

If you want to hunt more often then build points towards Wyoming General Elk, Arizona Coues Deer, and Utah general deer. You don't have to build that many points to play in each.

I guess what I am saying is it depends of what you want and how you want to use your hard earned cash.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back