Used DLSR?

This is the same set up I have.

Are you happy with the 300mm?

I'm ready to invest in a zoom for my Canon. I rented a 200mm for my antelope hunt and didn't feel it had enough range.

I love the look of my full frame sensor, but the 1:1 optical zoom makes long distance shots expensive.

Just because you have the camera it doesn't mean you are going to take the same quality of pictures as someone else (insert mtmiller here) with this setup. Trust me, I know.

True but I’d feel so much cooler walking around with a big gun.

Are you happy with the 300mm?

I'm ready to invest in a zoom for my Canon. I rented a 200mm for my antelope hunt and didn't feel it had enough range.

I love the look of my full frame sensor, but the 1:1 optical zoom makes long distance shots expensive.

I have the 100-400L and and I don't think I have enough range! I rented a 400mm Prime once, now that is one sweet beast!!

None of these numbers mean a thing to me. I do know that I just bought my wife a:

Canon EOS Rebel T4i 18.0 MP CMOS Digital SLR with 18-55mm EF-S IS II Lens
Don't know if it's good or not. I just know that it cost $750.00 no tax (because I bought it on post) and it made her happy......good enough for me.

Dinkshooter with a serious post....imagine that!;) Pics look pretty cool to me,but then I refuse to wear my stupid Costco reading glasses.:D

My 7D was a refurb from Canon, I'd avoid Craigslist for purchasing a body. Better price some lens' before you buy a camera. 100-400 is pretty tough to beat, it's the only lens I for wildlife and a 17-55 for wide angle/close range. Both of which I bought used.

Looks like a Saw-Whet, nice find!

I'm sure it was.

I'm thinking of renting the 400 prime for a coyote hunt in February.

If you do, 1)make sure you have a good tripod & 2)rent a 1.4x too if you get the 400 f/2.8

It's a sweet lens, wish I could afford one, but I'm spending money on to many other hobbies.

Dinkshooter,
Nice pics for point and shoot.
I purchased one dslr from a camera shop to use as a back up body. Buying from a camera shop you will probably pay a little more for it rather than buying from an individual. A camera shop will most likely inspect for wear or defects and give it a rating (either number or letters meaning from poor to excellent shape).

Buying from an individual, follow your “gut feeling”, you should be able to tell if it is stolen.

With the latest DSLRs hitting the market in the past year, there should be plenty of used bodies for sale.

I’m not familiar with Cannon but Nikon puts a factory tested shutter life on their cameras. The lower consumer grade will be 100k actuations and the higher pro grade can have up to 400k actuations. This is what they have been tested to. It doesn’t mean it will not exceed those numbers.

Maximum Shutter Actuations Life Prediction:
Nikon D4:
Kevlar / carbon fibre composite shutter with 400,000 exposure durability
Nikon D3, D3x, D3s:
Kevlar / carbon fibre composite shutter with 300,000 exposure durability
Nikon D800/D800E:
Kevlar / carbon fibre composite shutter with 200,000 exposure durability
Nikon D700, Nikon D600:
Kevlar / carbon fibre composite shutter with 150,000 exposure durability *
Nikon D7000, D300s, D300:
Factory tested Shutter life 150,000 actuations
Nikon D5100, D5000, D3100, D3000, D90:
Factory tested Shutter life 100,000 actuations

It can be helpful for negotiating price of used bodies. If it has a 100k rating and it is being sold with 50k actuations the body should be half the price of a new one.

If you are looking at used, ask the seller how many shutter release actuations it has. If they don’t know ask them to take a picture with the body and email you the picture.
If you don’t have a way verify the actuations, it can be done with photoshop. PM me for my email and I will check it for you.

It is also a good idea to ask for at least three or four pictures of a solid white wall or most preferably a clear sky. Make sure the pictures are shot at the smallest aperture (largest F number) to allow a greater depth of focus therfore showing all dirt or defects. Shooting at a large aperture (small F number) will result in a shallow depth of focus therefore hiding all dirt and defects.:confused:

View the pictures at 100%, on your computer screen, to look for any signs of dust or dirt.

This will help determine any defects or damage to the lens or the sensor or even show how much dirt is on the sensor. In most cases if the sensor is extremely dirty the particles are likely to move with each shutter actuation. Meaning you will have dust spots or particles of the same shape, to show up in various areas of the picture.

Look over any missssspellling or errrrorrs, It’s late, and I’m tired. If this doesn’t make sense pm me

Have you guys rented from that place?? Or bought anything used? its the first I have seen that site, im shopping..not for 600 but im wondering if you have made any transactions with them.

Have you guys rented from that place?? Or bought anything used? its the first I have seen that site, im shopping..not for 600 but im wondering if you have made any transactions with them.

Yeah, I've rented a couple lenses from them. They are easy to work with.

I wanted to have a lense drop shipped to a FedEx Kinkos, just because it allowed me to save 3 days of rental, while I was traveling. I called them and explained the situation, they told me exactly what to do, to make it happen.

They have a couple lenses for sale that I've been tempted to buy, but I just can't justify right now.

The T4i will be a great camera. We just invested in the T3i (last years top entry level DSLR from Canon) and have been nothing but impressed. The detail and functionality you miss out on you don't even realize until you shoot with one of these.

Dink - Those are beautiful shots.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back