MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Use Enough Gun

Really...funny how I hear about this, then the reality of what I actually personally witness.

Poor/non-existent blood trails? Not in my experience, but have "only" been shooting a 6mm/.243 for 40+ years.

My nephews cow elk, one shot with a .243 and 100 grain solid base, 360ish yards. Only shot he's ever taken at an elk.

IMG_20201118_140539876_BURST001_COMP.jpg

Non-existent blood trail? Not on this elk it wasn't...took the picture about 3-4 steps from where he hit it:

IMG_20201118_131740132.jpg

Shot this cow with my 6mm year before last, 110 yards with a 95 grain nosler ballistic tip...

IMG952463.jpg

IIRC, I've shot about a half dozen elk with a .243/6mm and never have had a bad deal...I'd have to review my notes, but I've shot a couple semi-trucks full of pronghorn and deer with them. Also shot one black bear and a bighorn sheep with it. Can't recall not having good blood trails. I did lose one deer with a 6mm, made a horrible choice shooting at a moving whitetail, offhand at about 120 yards. Hit it very low through the brisket on the near side, busted the off shoulder near the body. That's what happens when you shoot animals on the "edges"...and it would have been the same outcome no matter if I would have shot it there with my .338.

The .243/6mm is a great deer and pronghorn round...and I'm not one bit scared to shoot elk with them either, BTDT.
Agree--

Excluding wood bison which the govt dictates a 30 caliber, a 243 is enough gun for everything else in the Territories -moose, bear ( back, brown, white ), muskox. Yukon and N.W. only require a 6 mm and Nunavut a 5.56---with the exception of P. B. which requires 2800 Joules---- or back to-----

Elk with a 243 would not be problem

375 H&H is my backup to my bow for my deer hunting Almost does as good as job as my rage extremes.

I've got two 243's but consider them coyote rifles. But the truth is I've killed three deer over the years with a 243 and one shot each. Think about this Guy that has been deer hunting 40yrs with a 243 and never had a deer run off, how do you tell him he's not using enough rifle? I think maybe at this point in my life it's not so much what you use as it is how you use what you have. Something I suspect guy's like that might tell you is they have never seen a shot they had to take!

I've never seen an elk get away that was shot in the ass, big or small caliber. 1+ rear landing gear taken out = dead elk. Every. Time.

I'm on the hunt for another 243 deer killer. The last one I had was lights out amazing on deer/antelope, dozens upon dozens upon dozens of times, including a couple elk.
I have seen one deer get a back leg shot off at about mid leg, never to be seen again. But maybe the weight of elk make this a more unlikely escape.

[QUOTE="Panda Bear, post: 3163114, member:

[/QUOTE]
Agree. Most of the time. Even been witness. But, I've put a few bulls down where the .243 just wouldn't have been able. I'd use it, but only under certain circumstances. mtmuley

I have seen one deer get a back leg shot off at about mid leg, never to be seen again.
Blowing a leg off is bad shooting, doesnt matter what caliber youre shooting at that point, you screwed the pooch. Shooting a buck in the knee with a .243 or a .300wm doesnt make a difference. Had a buck come hobbling up my driveway from state land across the street during rifle season and go into my barn with a leg flopping around like a limp noodle. Somebody got trigger happy. After recording a video and making a call to the game warden to discuss the issue he ended up in freezer camp.

Agree--

Excluding wood bison which the govt dictates a 30 caliber, a 243 is enough gun for everything else in the Territories -moose, bear ( back, brown, white ), muskox. Yukon and N.W. only require a 6 mm and Nunavut a 5.56---with the exception of P. B. which requires 2800 Joules---- or back to-----

I'd question that. While I have no doubt it will work with proper bullet's and placement Wonder if someone had a 30-06 and a 243 and was going bear hunting which one they'd take? I have never seen a shot I had to take!

Blowing a leg off is bad shooting, doesnt matter what caliber youre shooting at that point, you screwed the pooch. Shooting a buck in the knee with a .243 or a .300wm doesnt make a difference. Had a buck come hobbling up my driveway from state land across the street during rifle season and go into my barn with a leg flopping around like a limp noodle. Somebody got trigger happy. After recording a video and making a call to the game warden to discuss the issue he ended up in freezer camp.
Oh I agree on the quality of the shooting. The shooter in question didn't look all that hard for the deer either but I looked for it for a week (it's above my house). But this one went a helluva long ways.

Oh I agree on the quality of the shooting. The shooter in question didn't look all that hard for the deer either but I looked for it for a week (it's above my house). But this one went a helluva long ways.
I've shot 2 bulls with a 30cal bullet lodged in the neck.... that were from the year before. The smell was nothing short of horrific when I caped them both. Have also seen bulls get killed with broken arrows in there shoulders.

My friend killed a old black bear with 2 bullets in the neck and had a broadhead in its shoulder blade...... IDGAF what kind of caliber it is! Shot placement is everything and I support your comments critters can go a long time with a will too live and a poor placed shot.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back