Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Use Enough Gun

I really tire of these threads.

Can we just start an "Undergunned Animals - Let's See Them!!!" thread so everyone can post pictures of the elk they killed with their .22lr, etc.?
I get the fact that game can be killed with a variety of cartridges, (so nobody needs to jump on me) but sometimes it seems like it's a badge of honor almost to use the smallest one possible. Using small cartridges to kill some game should only be done by experienced shooters. Or in controlled situations. I control my situations with my cartridge selection. It's when the situation is attempted with a cartridge not suitable that it goes wrong. Happens a lot I bet. mtmuley

I'd question that. While I have no doubt it will work with proper bullet's and placement Wonder if someone had a 30-06 and a 243 and was going bear hunting which one they'd take? I have never seen a shot I had to take!
I think that would be a separate question. If you had a 30-06 and a 243 and was going bear hunting, which one would you take ? I would take the 30-06, in fact I do take a 348. But the hunting regulations only require either a 5'56, 6mm, or a minimum of 2800 Joules, and they have been successfully hunted with the aforementioned calibers. But lets move away from the bears. If moose and muskox are hunted with a 243 and less-"successfully". Would it seem logical that Elk could be successfully hunted with the same calibers.

I dont, but some do, legally and successfully.

If your asking if I have, no. Goat, sheep, elk, deer, caribou, wolf I prefer the 275 H & H. Moose, Muskox, Bear, 348

but the question was---

I get the fact that game can be killed with a variety of cartridges, (so nobody needs to jump on me) but sometimes it seems like it's a badge of honor almost to use the smallest one possible. Using small cartridges to kill some game should only be done by experienced shooters. Or in controlled situations. I control my situations with my cartridge selection. It's when the situation is attempted with a cartridge not suitable that it goes wrong. Happens a lot I bet. mtmuley
I think the badge of honor vibe is true to some extent, probably a little immature, and I’ve probably gotten a little defensive on it now and again myself over the years. I think it mostly comes from guys who are good hunters and killers that get sick of being told they’re dumb and unethical, despite putting a lot of thought and effort into things. I’m sure there are others who do it just to do it, which isn’t real sensible either.

I think the badge of honor vibe is true to some extent, probably a little immature, and I’ve probably gotten a little defensive on it now and again myself over the years. I think it mostly comes from guys who are good hunters and killers that get sick of being told they’re dumb and unethical, despite putting a lot of thought and effort into things. I’m sure there are others who do it just to do it, which isn’t real sensible either.
There are hunters that can, and ones that say they will. Easy to tell the difference mostly. And some guys that use, well lets say larger cartridges. And are killers with the bigs. mtmuley

Last edited:
There are always people that will use their gear and supposed hunting exploits to puff their chests out. The "I shoot the biggest, baddest magnum" crowd just has more competition for bloviating now.

I don't disagree, you could say the same thing about speed. Not sure an animal knows if a bullet is going 2900 fps or 3300 fps.

I’m heading to Texas in a couple weeks to hog hunt on private property. I have 2 uppers for my AR platform, a 5.56 and a 458 SOCOM. You can bet I’m packing the SOCOM.
I would never say a 243 won’t kill an elk, because I feel it will. Never done it. I carry a 300 of some flavor or a 325 because I feel it gives me a slight edge on a angling shot and more likely to have shorter tracking job. On public land I feel that’s important.
If you can shoot it accurately is the most important factor IMO. If my 257 was a little lighter, it’d probably be the go to rifle in my safe. Almost is now.
I don’t know. I know I don’t care what you shoot as long as you’re not wounding animals and losing them. And please don’t tell me what to shoot. We won’t get along.

I like heavy tackle.
And I don’t like tracking.
If I’m shooting for bull elk or bigger it’s gonna be .30 or bigger.
If I’m hunting buck deer, .280 rem gets the nod, unless it’s does or a meat hunt for eastern whitetails, then I might go .25 or .243.

I really don’t care what you use.

Go hunting!

@SnowyMountaineer and @mtmuley seems you two are kinda at the edges of either side of the caliber question. I respect you both as ethical hunters. Your are the -30 and 30 respectively per the diagram below.

With respect to NA big game -10 to 10 likely holds .270 win to .300 win mag

I'm kinda tired of arguing about the -30 to -10 and 10 to 30.

1614430918616.png

A good friend had killed hundreds of deer with his .243. He got serious about killing mature deer and began using a 270 WBY mag, which pleased his 300 Win mag shooting buddy. One day, the 270 WBY killed a 180” whitetail in a thick regrowth cutover. The 300 guy asked, “at any time this morning, did you wish you had your .243?”
I do think hunters get cute at times. I also think it’s more important to shoot a caliber you can shoot well.
Regarding a 25, get yourself a 257 WBY and go pick up the dead critter right where he stood when you shot it.

There are always people that will use their gear and supposed hunting exploits to puff their chests out. The "I shoot the biggest, baddest magnum" crowd just has more competition for bloviating now.
Thanks for the laugh. mtmuley

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back