Upland 2023

Got out twice so far. First day was a quick trip before work on opener. Got cut short by getting called into work early but still got a sharpie.

The next one I didn't get onto any birds but it was the best hunt of my life. I got my 4 year old daughter out on her first hunt. We only went about a mile, and I only carried her for about half of it because "I can't possibly take another step." By the time we got loaded up she was ready to hit another spot but the smoke was coming in and I tore my bicep this summer so I didn't think I was up to carrying her more.

Her pace and volume really hinder getting birds but she had so much fun I don't care. I can't wait to get her out again.

Hunting Wife what's wrong with your country?
Turn your land on its side and welcome to my world. LOL
Nice pictures.
We've been out quite a bit and been doing good on the grouse. Big goose egg yesterday on the chukar opener.

Tough day here for the forest grouse. Thats OK though! Great day for finding other things! I know @ BigFin would have hung them up in a tree but have a hard time leaving the moose sheds! First I found a matching pair of moose sheds and later down the mountain the first full skull I have found in the lower 48! The next question is what to do with it? On the wall or hillbilly yard art?! The matching pair are shown in my yard. moose 2.jpg
moose.jpg

Tough day here for the forest grouse. Thats OK though! Great day for finding other things! I know @ BigFin would have hung them up in a tree but have a hard time leaving the moose sheds! First I found a matching pair of moose sheds and later down the mountain the first full skull I have found in the lower 48! The next question is what to do with it? On the wall or hillbilly yard art?! The matching pair are shown in my yard. View attachment 292934
View attachment 292933
Nice finds. Must have been quite the pack getting them down the mountain.
In Alaska it is common to put the house address on a shed antler and screw it to a tree at the driveway entrance.
You can use paint or a router to put the house address on the antler.

It's been a pretty solid week for the northern lower. Good bird numbers, tons of food & great cover & food. Dogs have been on top of their game (for them). Lots of single doodles & small coveys of young grouse. The dogs tend to flush grouse away from me because they're b#tches.

Hunted 6 of the last 10 days. Greta managed to not get hurt for 5 days. A record. Back at it this am with a couple of hard won doodle flushes. Bird were in the thickest of the thick so no shots other than the one in my shorts when the first bird got up 4 feet to my side.

1000003995.jpgPXL_20230925_140548303.MP.jpg

It's been a pretty solid week for the northern lower. Good bird numbers, tons of food & great cover & food. Dogs have been on top of their game (for them). Lots of single doodles & small coveys of young grouse. The dogs tend to flush grouse away from me because they're b#tches.

Hunted 6 of the last 10 days. Greta managed to not get hurt for 5 days. A record. Back at it this am with a couple of hard won doodle flushes. Bird were in the thickest of the thick so no shots other than the one in my shorts when the first bird got up 4 feet to my side.

View attachment 293857View attachment 293858
Very neat looking cover. Doodles like that?

Very neat looking cover. Doodles like that?

They seem too. We've had really good numbers in the ferns close to food sources and especially on wetter mornings (heavy dew or rained overnight). But they've also been deep in the cover as well. Had a few where I just heard them, and saw a leaf rustle as they rocketed away unseen. Had a whole covey of ruffeds do it. Leaves are falling fast now though.

Back