Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Unreconcilable?

Except what is it going to run on??
Natural gas that heats your home already. If we don't have natural gas then we will be cold and in the dark. Very possible outcome as well. Propane could be stored for emergency, but shortages and price hikes are hitting that energy source as we speak. Bumpy road ahead I am predicting.

Last edited:
Natural gas that heats your home already. If we don't have natural gas then we will be cold and in the dark. Very possible outcome as well. Propane could be stored for emergency as well, but shortages and price hikes are hitting that energy source as well. Bumpy road ahead I am predicting.

The recently passed infrastructure bill has a significant investment in electrification and grid upgrades.

Nuclear is a viable option but the left needs to get over themselves and we should recognize that it's not a fast fix for the issue. Natural gas is plentiful and cheap, and the industry itself has chosen the fuel as the bridge away from coal.

Geothermal remains expensive on the upfront costs, but pencils out after a few years. New construction both in residential and commercial can incorporate a lot of small grid potential for localized production, rather than the massive plants we're used too.

The recently passed infrastructure bill has a significant investment in electrification and grid upgrades.

Nuclear is a viable option but the left needs to get over themselves and we should recognize that it's not a fast fix for the issue. Natural gas is plentiful and cheap, and the industry itself has chosen the fuel as the bridge away from coal.

Geothermal remains expensive on the upfront costs, but pencils out after a few years. New construction both in residential and commercial can incorporate a lot of small grid potential for localized production, rather than the massive plants we're used too.
Infrastructure bill is Washington pork buffet at its finest. More debt for future generations to deal with.

Natural gas prices are rising well beyond already high inflation rate. Cold winter and shortages are a possibility. Might want to focus on next few months, and stop pissing away money on pie in the sky.

Proving yet again that a lack of understanding of what's in a bill leads to just silly statements.
About 3% of this 1.2 Trillion dollar bill. If these are the highlights, I hate to see the really dumb things it will fund.

The legislation provides $7.5 billion to help set up a national EV charging system and $5 billion for electric school buses. It also contains $6 billion for battery material processing grants and battery manufacturing and recycling grants.

Other provisions in the bill include:

• $8 billion to set up at least four "clean" hydrogen hubs;
  • $6 billion in subsidies for uneconomic nuclear power plants;
  • $3.5 billion to establish four hubs for removing carbon dioxide from the air; and,
  • $2.1 billion for a loan program for carbon dioxide transportation.

Don't worry @4ohSick . Nancy's working on your tax cuts for the rich.

I have to imagine this would still have some benefit to upper-middle class working folks in high-tax states. But you're right, bad ideas aren't limited to either party.

About 3% of this 1.2 Trillion dollar bill. If these are the highlights, I hate to see the really dumb things it will fund.

The legislation provides $7.5 billion to help set up a national EV charging system and $5 billion for electric school buses. It also contains $6 billion for battery material processing grants and battery manufacturing and recycling grants.

Other provisions in the bill include:

• $8 billion to set up at least four "clean" hydrogen hubs;
  • $6 billion in subsidies for uneconomic nuclear power plants;
  • $3.5 billion to establish four hubs for removing carbon dioxide from the air; and,
  • $2.1 billion for a loan program for carbon dioxide transportation.

Admitting you haven't read the bill or understand what's in it while cherry picking a few things here & there is just lazy.

I have to imagine this would still have some benefit to upper-middle class working folks in high-tax states. But you're right, bad ideas aren't limited to either party.
Big reason why hard working smart people are leaving high tax states like California, New York, and New Jersey. No incentive to put up with that anymore.

Admitting you haven't read the bill or understand what's in it while cherry picking a few things here & there is just lazy.
That fact that you blindly support this boondoggle is more proof of our unreconcilable differences, Ben. Best of luck to you and your POV. Own it. No crying when it blows up on you, though.

Natural gas that heats your home already. If we don't have natural gas then we will be cold and in the dark. Very possible outcome as well. Propane could be stored for emergency, but shortages and price hikes are hitting that energy source as we speak. Bumpy road ahead I am predicting.

Propane and natural gas aren't interchangeable. The generator would need a burner change out each time you switched fuel.

A consideration when we bought our present home was having natural gas vs relying on propane. Propane costs are well known to be volatile. I remember from my refinery days when the price of propane leaving the refinery was around a nickel a gallon plus freight. Then in the winter, well that price was long gone.

You can compress natural gas pretty easily. Propane is already compressed into a liquid, no where to go after that. That limits how much propane can be held in reserve at any given time.

Propane and natural gas aren't interchangeable. The generator would need a burner change out each time you switched fuel.

A consideration when we bought our present home was having natural gas vs relying on propane. Propane costs are well known to be volatile. I remember from my refinery days when the price of propane leaving the refinery was around a nickel a gallon plus freight. Then in the winter, well that price was long gone.

You can compress natural gas pretty easily. Propane is already compressed into a liquid, no where to go after that. That limits how much propane can be held in reserve at any given time.
I've lived in houses with propane, and houses with natural gas. Agree that natural gas is a better option if it is available. Also best to own your propane tank and not rent, so you can shop for competitive prices. Also fill in the summer when prices are lowest. I've mostly heated with wood for many years and propane was used for supplemental heat and water heating.

People need to brace for much higher energy prices and shortages in the near future. Would you agree?

People need to brace for much higher energy prices and shortages in the near future. Would you agree?

Part of me hopes so, it would raise the stock price of my former employer. Kidding, sorta, maybe mostly.

There are still cards to play. One would be tapping into the Strategic reserve. I'm not sure how I feel about doing that. That would partly answer any oil shortage.

Visiting with a neighbor recently, he works in the Bakken, he said they are very busy. A bottleneck...replacing all of the people from the layoff when prices dropped.

It would not shock me to see prices quite a bit higher. I'm old enough to have lived thru the Arab oil embargo and all that entailed. So it seems like another lap around the track.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back