Unit 75/751 CO

bucksnbulls25

Not looking for honey holes, buuuuuut... Just kidding, I know those posts are annoying, and I know that you should take any hunting specific info that you find on an internet forum with a grain of salt!

I will be heading to 75/751 for the 3rd season. I have done months of research, spoke to local biologists, and have pretty much gotten my game plan together. Any last things that I could be overlooking that are specific to the unit? This is geared more towards access issues, possible road closures, etc. that could be overlooked by someone not familiar with the area. I think I have done about all of the planning and research that I could possibly do, but maybe some familiar with the area could point out something that I could be overlooking or things that deserve extra consideration for this specific unit, aside from the obvious "be sure to stay off of rez land"?

I will be hunting 75 in 2nd season. Will be glad to share what I see when I get back.

I am hunting 2nd season leaving next week also and can tell you from scoping it out 2 years ago when I was there that there are a few access points to look at in75/751.. I am not sure (I didn't drive up there) but I think you can access some trails from above Valletico campground. You can definitely go up the forest road above lemon reservoir and there are numerous places to camp/park from 7K-10K elevation. Found fresh sign at all elevations 3rd season two years ago. Taking a left at the top of lemon reservoir there is an official campground (pay Transfer park campground) but you can park and hike in the trail there which after 400 yards you are in the designated wilderness. This follows the river and it's steep nasty stuff but saw elk on the ridges. On the other side of that is Missionary ridge. The ridge trail goes a long ways back in there paralleling the animus river and I heard probably two dozen shots over the course of 8 days.

Hope I am not blowing anybody's secrets but it's big country and I had a lot of drainages to myself. If you are willing to hump it up the ridges you can get away from day hunters pretty easily. I saw and talked to quite a few hunters on the forest roads in the morning but once I was out on the ridges, never saw another hunter.

I am hunting 2nd season leaving next week also and can tell you from scoping it out 2 years ago when I was there that there are a few access points to look at in75/751.. I am not sure (I didn't drive up there) but I think you can access some trails from above Valletico campground. You can definitely go up the forest road above lemon reservoir and there are numerous places to camp/park from 7K-10K elevation. Found fresh sign at all elevations 3rd season two years ago. Taking a left at the top of lemon reservoir there is an official campground (pay Transfer park campground) but you can park and hike in the trail there which after 400 yards you are in the designated wilderness. This follows the river and it's steep nasty stuff but saw elk on the ridges. On the other side of that is Missionary ridge. The ridge trail goes a long ways back in there paralleling the animus river and I heard probably two dozen shots over the course of 8 days.

Hope I am not blowing anybody's secrets but it's big country and I had a lot of drainages to myself. If you are willing to hump it up the ridges you can get away from day hunters pretty easily. I saw and talked to quite a few hunters on the forest roads in the morning but once I was out on the ridges, never saw another hunter.
I've hunted the unit a few times some good advice above.

I'm actually deer hunting, so I'll have a bit of a different game plan, but I do appreciate the useful info

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back