Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Unit 7 upland combo hunt

Djmann

I expect to draw area 7 for antelope this year, and was wondering if anyone that has been there has seen or hunted upland birds in the area. Trying to figure out if it’s worth bringing my dog to look for birds one day if I tag early.

I would be more concerned about finding Antelope. I drove from Wright to Newcastle two weeks ago on the main road and saw less than 20 Antelope. We hunted that area a couple years ago and the difference in numbers is sad. We did not see much for upland birds either, although I am sure there are some around.

Hunted area 7 last year for antelope. Bird numbers were way-way down in the places we hunted, and we covered a lot of ground looking for both antelope and birds. Area 7 is a huge, so you might have better luck than we did on the birds.

I'll have to second (third?) what the gentlemen above stated

I was just bird hunting, but the difference in Area 7 (at least where I ramble) from 2020 to 2021 in antelope and bird numbers was very sad - both were way down in 2021 and I don't expect it much better

but it is a huge area - so keep moving and I am sure you'll find some

Last edited:
Interested in this as well. I'm in for unit 7, and I think I'll draw (although, you never know given the tag reductions and point creep). Wasn't so much curious about upland, but I was wondering about waterfowl in the general area.

I would be more concerned about finding Antelope. I drove from Wright to Newcastle two weeks ago on the main road and saw less than 20 Antelope. We hunted that area a couple years ago and the difference in numbers is sad. We did not see much for upland birds either, although I am sure there are some around.
The does should have been in the middle of birthing a couple of weeks ago. Then the herds typically break up for a while. You should see fewer of them. If he is hunting antelope early it will be warm and he's more likely to run into rattlers. Something to consider with dogs.

I second the rattlesnake comment made by OntarioHunter. I had the Area 7 antelope tag a few years ago and did see a rattlesnake and only hunted for one day before filling my tag. I did not see any upland birds.

The does should have been in the middle of birthing a couple of weeks ago. Then the herds typically break up for a while. You should see fewer of them. If he is hunting antelope early it will be warm and he's more likely to run into rattlers. Something to consider with dogs.
Doe have not fawned yet. Still in groups and they will get back together after fawning into nursery groups, one doe watching several fawns while doe feed nearby.
First rattler yesterday down here in SE Wyo., successfully relocated.

Rattlers an issue in October?
I had a Lab get bit in November ... on a cold moonlit night. My host's coworker was bit the same night loading a stack of firewood. But that was freaky. Usually in northern Montana by the end of October the dogs are safe to hunt. Hot weather I only hunt the mornings.

This is getting disappointing
Tell me about it. I've got applications in for area 7 as well for my dad and I. Supposed to be our first and likely our last chance to hunt big game out west together.

Good luck to all awaiting the draw results.

I've spent 6 or 7 days in 7 the past few years in early October and altogether, have seen less than 10 upland game birds, maybe 10 ducks and 0 snakes.

Hunted 7 a few years ago my advice get away from all the road hunters and be prepared for far fewer antelope, really sad whats happening out there.

Once again, good luck to the other area 7 hunters here as well as all the other tag holders. Hopefully with the reduction in tags we've got some elbow room out there.

It's just about go-time. Long drive from Pennsylvania coming forme soon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back