Unit 61 or 76 Colorado Archery

Bowwalker

So here it is not even the first of the new year and my mind is planning for next bow season. This is my first post but have been reading on here for years but my question to all you guys is this. I have 11 resident preference points going into the 2019 draw and I’ve been holding out for a 61 archery tag but debating on bailing out and going for a 76 tag instead. I realize I would be burning points for 76 but with the rumors I’m hearing about Colorado shortening the archery season and maybe even moving it to a draw I’m tempted to get out now while you still have a month to hunt. I’ve never stepped foot in 76 but have talked to people that say it can be a hidden gem. I’ve spent lots of time in 61 over the years and my dad has drawn it twice in the last 8 years. Once archery then by the luck of the hybrid muzzle. We had two great hunts but have noticed the last couple of years the herd has been thinned down and there are more people either hunting or just recreating in the unit than ever. Also had a big fire up there this year and I’m thinking I’m at least 4-5 years out on 61 still. Also have talked to some guides that say the unit isn’t what it was 5 years ago. So let me hear it guys, thoughts, opinions and insight would all be welcome information to me at this point.

I’d hate to step into a unit ‘cold’ without having spent a year scouting it for that many points. I backpacked into 76 for the first time last June and was impressed with what I saw. That could be because with all the beetle kill, burn, and above timberline elk they were easy to see. I live close to 61 and spend a lot of time up there and have hunted it for a bull elk.

All the Sept hunting in 61 is @ or well below 10K. In 76, Sept hunting will be primarily above 10K, w timberline @ above 11.5. If treeline alpine hunting is your huckleberry, 76. If PJ, oakbrush, aspens and steep canyons make you smile, 61. Both excellent choices.

I know a lot more people who were completely skunked (didn't even get into elk) hunting 76 than were skunked hunting 61. I'd hold out for 61. Or put in for the Bosque archery tag; that hunt has always intrigued me.

Not trying to hi jack your thread but what’s the rumors about archery season? The whole state or just the units your talking about?

I have archery hunted elk in 76 and will again in 2020 after burning my AZ elk points in 2019.
I think it is a worthy unit. Tons of elk. after 20+ days with bow in hand in 76 I have no way to explain how folks had trouble getting into elk...I had maybe 2 poor days total where elk seemed scarce.

If I had the points for 76 or 61 in hand I would pick 61. Hunting PJ terrain is my favorite. Hunt high alpine nosebleed country only when I ‘have’ to.:)

My guess is 61 will take 14 points this year to draw archery. Might take a while to catch up there with only 11.

Both units are full of elk and are piss your pants fun.

Thanks for all the replies and keep them coming guys. For the guys that have been in unit 76 what's the trophy quality like? Any 330 and up bulls roaming around? I know 61 has a lot of the 280-300 class bulls and the action can be non stop at times. Have seen a couple in that 330 plus range. My biggest bull to date is 316 so would really like to eclipse that mark but also want to be in a lot of rutting action. I have hunted in all sorts of country from timberline to pinions and cedars and I do have to say that I love the country in 61 but im also not afraid to chase them at timberline or in the deepest darkest canyons. And jvanhoy to answer your question I'm sure you've all read the article about the elk herd is SW Colorado has diminished rapidly over the years and having lived and hunted here all my life I can tell you first hand it has. DOW's response to that is its the amount of archery hunters affecting the rut causing the calves to be born to late and not making it through the next winter or not even getting bred at all. I know a local game warden and he says it’s on the agenda to shorten the archery season and maybe even make it a draw hunt. So far a guy like me that’s accumulating points i would be in a spot where I either bail out now so I could continue to archery hunt when I was able to draw a tag or continue the point game and then would have to resort to picking up a rifle and buying an over counter bull tag which is something that does not thrill me at all

Last edited:
I don't know how that's possible unless they sat in the bar in Creede the whole time... :rolleyes:

I think it was an effort thing. Getting into elk in 76 often takes some work to get up high, which doesn’t work as well for older crowds. In 61 there’s bulls you can get into and shoot right off divide road.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back