Decline of elk quality in Colorado GMU 61

MARKANDERSON

Every site I look at for archery elk info for GMU 61 in Co. points towards a steady decline in the quality of the elk in the unit. I am hoping to draw an archery elk tag this fall for GMU 61. Show me your archery elk/muzzleloader elk success photos for the past number of years. Say from 2018 till now. I want to see what I can expect to see this fall in the month of Sept.

From what I've seen most of the reports saying things are going downhill are from people who drew thinking there is a 350 bull behind every tree based on how many points they spent, they didn't scout and when they showed up they hunted one spot and couldnt turn up a big bull...

Reality is that there have never been that many actually big bulls, tons and tons of 270-290 6 points, some 300-315, a very few 320+ I've been in there a lot for 20+ years, the biggest bulls I've seen have been in the last 5 for what thats worth...now finding one of those if you don't have a good idea where to start and a lot of time on your hands is entirely another thing...

There we go, back to name dropping units and making oddly specific requests in a public forum as a newby.

At least it's a break from TomTerrifics existential crisis.
It’s a unit that takes 20+ NR points to draw and everyone knows about it. If you have to cruise hunt talk to find out about unit 61, you aren’t doing your research.

My guess is the early high powered rifle season has taken a few off the top end and dropped a bit in overall quality. That season started like 5 years or so yes?
I don't think as much as you would expect, I know of one giant from that season but of the 10-12 bulls I've seen from that season most were barely in the 310s...
It may have actually helped big bulls survive because they get a little heads up to disappear before first rifle...

Based on extensive research, it is safe to say that there are no quality bulls, or any elk for that matter, left in any unit. This is not just the state of affairs in Colorado mind you, but apparently it’s the case in every unit and in every western state that held elk once upon a time. It’s been like this since 2010 or so. If you think I’m kidding, just do an extensive internet search, which of course is the indisputable source of truth.
The two bulls I killed the last two seasons, must have been the last ones in each of the respective units.
My advice, save yourself the heartache and simply stay home…

I don't think as much as you would expect, I know of one giant from that season but of the 10-12 bulls I've seen from that season most were barely in the 310s...
It may have actually helped big bulls survive because they get a little heads up to disappear before first rifle...
Did they cut other tags when they added the high power early season?

Do people really spend 20+ points and shot 300"ish bulls?
The sad part is you’re really in no man’s land with that many points. So do you just go and shoot that 300” bull, or take another unit that costs way less and go shoot that 300” bull, or do you just not go shoot that 300” bull and then build another point and ask the same question next year?

I’m not saying there aren’t any big bulls in there. There are plenty of good bulls and a handful of great ones. I would love to have a tag but no way I’m saving enough points for it.

What really increases the 3x4 harvest is locals who end up finally drawing and don’t feel the need to spend more then a weekend camping with the fam up there to “scout for that 61 tag I drew for a big bull” before throwing pappys ‘06 in the F150 and driving Hanks because as everyone from the western slope knows as soon as you cross the divide road the 350’s are more or less just frolicking around in every opening up there.

They quickly find that it is indeed still elk hunting, and maybe the 937 days since they last hiked a mile was a little bit much and eating breakfast at Starvin arvins every morning has certainly raised their risk of a coronary event.

After spotting a herd 3/4 of a mile off the road with the Diamondbacks they borrowed from their brother in law they give pursuit, happy to slap that tag on anything with antlers. As they close in one of the 300 cow hunters has also spotted the same herd from their Polaris ranger and after no less then a box of shells (that still have the price tag from K-mart on them) a 3x4 and a cow lay dead.

I’ve arrowed over 25 elk, all but one in OTC units. I hunted 61 in 2020 had a heck of a time never saw a big bull. Arrowed a small bull after 9 days. I’ve hunted better otc units in CO than 61. Get in shape, it’s steep

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back