Yeti GOBOX Collection

Unit 61 Colorado update

Elk247

With Muzzleloader season coming to an end and archery wrapping up soon, I was just curious if anyone had any success yet.

Second season is less than a month away for me now would love to see some pics of some nice bulls taken to get me even more pumped to go.

I drew a 1st season tag and have been scouting a bit with an archery bear tag in-hand. Had a nice 6-point come in to a water hole I was sitting at, but I wasn't quick enough on the draw for a picture. There are more folks up there than I expected. Some scouting, some are hunting with an entourage. Will be back up there this weekend. I'll be following this one too.

And some of us were hunting fall turkey. I do stay out of the better elk spots this time of year.

I'll be leaving Wednesday for second season and should have Thursday evening and Friday to scout around to hopefully locate a few bulls. I appreciate the help from some of you guys on here.

Took alot of points for this tag hopefully I will have a good story and some pics to share after the hunt. I plan to stay all week if I need to and will probably hold out for a decent bull till the last few days, then my standards might tale off a bit if I don't find one before then. I'll be hunting solo so if anyone else will be around the area stop by I'll have the red diesel Dodge and mabye a beer to share. If any of you cow hunters spot a good bull look me up and mabye I'll give you an extra beer.

I spent sat/sun up there on the 62 side with a bull tag, from divide road down. I had to get back to work today. It was very dry up there. Cold nights in the teens and 55 60 during the day. Zero bugling. All of my hidey holes up there that hold elk, did not this year. I never even saw an elk, which is higihly unusual. Also, there was very little pressure and I only saw a couple camps on Divide road where I was, which was also highly unusual. Alot of people cutting firewood though. I usually send people into the canyons in that unit, but this year I would focus on the dark timber pine/aspen forests near the top. The elk seem to be holding tight in there. It's the only thing that makes sense and the only place I didn't have time to look. Of course 61 might be different. Good luck out there, I hope you get a good one. If you get in a bind, give me a shout, I live in Montrose. Good Luck!

Thanks for the offer high desert hopefully things go smooth getting in a bind alone isn't much fun. Looking at the weather the last month or so I figured it was getting pretty dry there. You have a few days left for first season I hope your luck changes.

Thanks for the offer high desert hopefully things go smooth getting in a bind alone isn't much fun. Looking at the weather the last month or so I figured it was getting pretty dry there. You have a few days left for first season I hope your luck changes.
Unfortunately I am done. Started a new job and not much vacation.

It was my buddy's tag, his first elk, I threw a pic up on the Colorado 1st Season thread...
I actually just saw that. Nice bull tell him congrats especially for his first one. Hope I can get it done too. So you didn't run into many guys once you got off the roads?

I actually just saw that. Nice bull tell him congrats especially for his first one. Hope I can get it done too. So you didn't run into many guys once you got off the roads?

Yeah, he was pretty excited! We were only there two days, based on what I saw I'd suggest trying the deeper canyons away from the roads...good luck!

Sweet! Can't wait to read the story! I will be up there 3rd season as well. My wife has the tag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back