Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Unit 10 wyoming deer thunder basis grasslands

Wachtelhundhunter

Hello, brand new member. I enjoy hunting big game and birds in various states. I have the points to have a good shot at pulling a tag in Wyoming for Unit 10. Anyone know how the deer populations are doing and if its a fun hunt?

According to the handy dandy wyoming hunt planner, there was a 76% success rate last year for non residents. Sounds pretty good to me

Thanks yeah I saw that in my research. Sounded too good to be true. I’m sure I’ll just put in. I have 7 points no point building out of state points if you cant hunt. Not getting any younger.

Thanks yeah I saw that in my research. Sounded too good to be true. I’m sure I’ll just put in. I have 7 points no point building out of state points if you cant hunt. Not getting any younger.
I'd say the numbers are pretty darn accurate. If anything they are low based on hunters that just didn't report a kill. I hunt Unit 80-83 in Wyoming and it's not rated real high but I've seen a couple of really good muleys.

The hunt planner doesn't paint a very good picture. Low to Moderate deer densities with below average antlers. I imagine the terrain makes them pretty susceptible out there.

Hello, brand new member. I enjoy hunting big game and birds in various states. I have the points to have a good shot at pulling a tag in Wyoming for Unit 10. Anyone know how the deer populations are doing and if its a fun hunt?
You might want to try Unit 101 as well. It usually takes 10 points to draw but its all based on last years numbers. You might get lucky.

You might want to try Unit 101 as well. It usually takes 10 points to draw but its all based on last years numbers. You might get lucky.
101 takes max to draw and no random if my memory is correct.

Overall, you should do really good on deer if you are a meat hunter and don't mind taking whitetails. Mulies in Wyoming experienced a major increase in fatalities a while back and have not recovered and the biologists are still unsure why, last time I checked anyways. That is why instead of muley does, you are stuck with "any whitetail" or "whitetail doe/fawn". Muley bucks are out there but you have to have at least 3 in some areas and 4 points in others. Success rates are pretty good on deer in Wyoming in general.

You have 7 points and want to burn them on unit 10? You may be disappointed with the deer numbers and size, but that's just me. You will definitely need a gps with a chip to be safe. I think with a little more research you could find something better with your 7 points.

Hunted it when it was part of Region B 17 years ago on a leftover tag. Lots of roads and other hunters. Much of the Private land is leased by outfitters. Not sure if the Coal Mine leases show up on on-X but that is where we saw the best bucks.

Not a trophy area.

I grew up there... You have a chance for a big deer but more likely you will see a lot of 2-3 year old 4 points. Again the public property might be over stated. A lot of that area is leased by coal mines and you can't hunt that/

You have 7 points and want to burn them on unit 10? You may be disappointed with the deer numbers and size, but that's just me. You will definitely need a gps with a chip to be safe. I think with a little more research you could find something better with your 7 points.

This, all day long. Way better units with that many points.

The only reason 10 takes that many points is because Eastman's put it in their magazine a couple years ago as a sleeper. No way I would throw 7 points at it.

If one was actually looking to shoot a whitetail buck, would 10 be a decent spot to look for one? I go up to WY to shoot muleys every year but have never killed a whitetail buck and was going to try that this year. I was thinking of going up to the Black Hills in the NE corner of the state but 10 would be a couple hours closer. Anyone ever go after whitetail in 10?

You can hunt the Black Hills of WY on a second choice and continue to build points. I wouldn’t worry about a few hours. Good luck

If one was actually looking to shoot a whitetail buck, would 10 be a decent spot to look for one? I go up to WY to shoot muleys every year but have never killed a whitetail buck and was going to try that this year. I was thinking of going up to the Black Hills in the NE corner of the state but 10 would be a couple hours closer. Anyone ever go after whitetail in 10?

They must be there somewhere, but I’ve spent time the past two falls in 10 and haven’t seen a whitetail. I think you’ll see way more whitetails in the black hills

Not going to find any whitetail in 10 unless it's on private and even then they are very far and few between. Black Hills will be where you need to go if wanting a whitetail. The Hills get hammered but you can always find a few running around. Don't expect anything big.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back