Unfortunate end to a great buck

Sorry to see that Ben. In a way.. its kinda cool to have the horns of a deer that out-smarted u guys for yrs.

Last edited:
Wow, thick mature rack. Beefy forked browtine is very cool. Wonder what his age was

Beautiful buck. Bummer he went out like that. At least you know what happened to him!

Fish and Game (Parks and Wildlife now) just shot one in my ditch not an hour ago. Second one in a couple of weeks. She said she puts down a few per day if they aren't dead already. She told me it's illegal for me to shoot them so I don't do that any more. At least your buck grew old. They only make it about four years around here. I want them for coyotes and ravens and bear and that's what I do if they are dead. But F&G gives the ones they shoot to poor folk. I'd take them but I don't like deer meat, especially tenderized by a Peterbuilt.

P.S. That's a beauty you have there and I'd be happy to have it.

Last edited:
Big buck!
Shame the saga ended that way - but at least you got the head to honor the ol' boy by.

You are fortunate to have that buck's intact skull. Cool old patriarch avoiding bullets and sharpened sticks for so long....may his lineage flourish.

Thank you for the comments everybody! We are pretty sure he was 5.5 years old. The picture from 2012 is what we would typically expect for a 3.5 year old in terms of not being overly massive. I was surprised in 2013, though, since I would've expected him to be much bigger for a 4.5 year old.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back