Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Ultimate truck/blind gun?

M1A SocomII with a modular/folding stock. Its a 16" barrel, but the reworked gas system on the SocomII runs everything from spicy handloads to shitty foreign milsurp flawlessly...and you can easily put a full mag into silhouettes out to 600.
Probably one of the best rifles Springfield has ever offered for sale to the public.
That's our plan so far. Just trying to nail down a caliber.

If truck gun you mean swing out the window then your front windshield is not going to like a semi auto.
Ehh I’ve done a lot of shooting with the AR platform out of vehicles, you’ll get more damage to the doors as you press out and the center consoles from rubbing.

For a suppressed truck gun I use a 12.5” AR in 5.56. Pretty much everything besides a pistol or a PDW is still going to be a bit of a pain to maneuver around the steering wheel.

A 12” 6.5 with a 1-6 or 1-8 optic and a short suppressor would be cool.

I also have a 16.5” suppressed bolt gun; it’s still not easy to maneuver around on the drivers side.

Ehh I’ve done a lot of shooting with the AR platform out of vehicles, you’ll get more damage to the doors as you press out and the center consoles from rubbing.

For a suppressed truck gun I use a 12.5” AR in 5.56. Pretty much everything besides a pistol or a PDW is still going to be a bit of a pain to maneuver around the steering wheel.

A 12” 6.5 with a 1-6 or 1-8 optic and a short suppressor would be cool.

I also have a 16.5” suppressed bolt gun; it’s still not easy to maneuver around on the drivers side.
I’ve only seen one mag dump on a coyote across a stubble field. The front windshield wasn’t pretty from all the chips inside

I’ve only seen one mag dump on a coyote across a stubble field. The front windshield wasn’t pretty from all the chips inside
Interesting. I’ve never seen much damage but have never seen a lot of shots from the driver either to be honest. I have done a bit of shooting out of the drivers side of my truck but it’s typically only a shot or two and either the animal is down or ran off.

I suppose if one is that bad of a shot maybe they could add a brass catcher to the gun. 🫣

I have a CVA Cascade in 7MM-08 I put an absolutely horrible pain job on. It is a beater rifle. May see about using it. Get the barrel cut down and maybe put it into a short stock.

My truck gun. I take it salmon fishing in case of any bear problems (along with bear spray)
and my backup in case I forget my shotgun waterfowl hunting.
The barrel was painted with Cold Galvanize Coating, High Performance Coating Of 95% Pure Zinc,
then painted with conventional mud color for layout shooting in the mud flats of interior Alaska.
remington870_12gauge_pump_shotgun.jpg

My truck gun. I take it salmon fishing in case of any bear problems (along with bear spray)
and my backup in case I forget my shotgun waterfowl hunting.
The barrel was painted with Cold Galvanize Coating, High Performance Coating Of 95% Pure Zinc,
then painted with conventional mud color for layout shooting in the mud flats of interior Alaska.
View attachment 280447
Spent 3 years at Elmendorf AFB. Yes, for bear protection, we carried M870s when I was a military game warden.

1687172671206.jpeg

There's factory 16.5" Rem 700 SPS Tacticals out there. At one time I almost bought one but ended up going different routes. The Hogue rubberized stocks are good for not sliding around on truck seats is an added bonus

Have ya ever noticed that when yaa ask people for an opinion on the best this or that, that the answer just depends on who ya ask?

ya, pretty much. And when the answer are in your right back where you started!
Nah, I asked the question and the answers give me ideas on my build. Different points of view provide additional information and facts. Things in my experiences, I did not think of.

Like having shell casings from a semi-auto chipping the inside of your windshield. Might be obvious to some, but did not run across my mind.

Plus different barrel lengths, calibers, stocks, etc.

Experience and wisdom are a wonderful thing to share. Do it all day long at my job. We have talks every 2 weeks on it.

Last edited:
Not the lightest weight but I bought my Tikka T3x CTR primarily because I was hunting in small treestands/tight shooting houses at the time. 20-inch barrel is about perfect for that and is available in .243, .260, 7-08, .308, 6.5 Creed and 6.5 PRC.

A SBR .308 is going to be most maneuverable but my eardrums shudder at the thought of touching one of those off in a confined space.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back