Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Ultimate truck/blind gun?

USAF Ret

If you were going to have a custom truck/blind gun. Short and quick. Mid-range, maybe 300 yds. What would it be? Caliber? Stock? Barrel length?

Got a buddy who is going to put a rifle together for me, free of charge. Definitely going with a carbon wrapped barrel and maybe a Rem 700 action. We were talking 7mm-08. Maybe 18 inch barrel?

Anyone got pics? Have one? Thoughts? Component price is not an issue.

I have a model 7 in 7-08, 18 inch barrel. That would be my cartridge choice for this, the rifle shoot great. I would lean 20 inch barrel unless you plan to suppress it, those short barrels are blasty

308 would be hard to beat for that gun. 7-08 is also a good choice.

If you were going to have a custom truck/blind gun. Short and quick. Mid-range, maybe 300 yds. What would it be? Caliber? Stock? Barrel length?

Got a buddy who is going to put a rifle together for me, free of charge. Definitely going with a carbon wrapped barrel and maybe a Rem 700 action. We were talking 7mm-08. Maybe 18 inch barrel?

Anyone got pics? Have one? Thoughts? Component price is not an issue.
What are you hunting with it?

What are you hunting with it?
Deer and both the 4 legged and 2 legged varmints (if needed).

My buddy just came up with a good idea. Him and another fellow are going to tag team and build an M1A with a 16" barrel and lightweight folding stock. Might go with a 243. Caliber is still up in the air.

Id say buy a Sig Cross that folds up and is threaded in .308. Or the cheaper option, the Ruger American Ranch rifle, short barrel compact, and threaded.

Save all that wasted money on carbon fiber, buy a better piece of glass and more ammo.
Got a Cross in 308. I like the Ranch rifle, but want a folder. Love the 308, but want something that has a little less recoil and easy to spot shots.

Top to bottom 20” 6.5 prc, 20” 6.5 creedbro, 17” 22-250

If the 6.5s weren’t going to Canada with me they’d be cut off at 17”-18”.
View attachment 280351
Creedbro in the middle?

I have a 6.5 PRC coming from HOWA to replace a broken 270. That one has a long barrel and may or may not get sold. I planned on selling it to pay for the 270, but I already have the 270. I have a B&C bedded stock and fitted muzzle brake for it.

I also like the idea of a 6.5 Grendel with a 16" barrel and a folding stock. Do a carbon wrapped barrel.

Creedbro in the middle?

I have a 6.5 PRC coming from HOWA to replace a broken 270. That one has a long barrel and may or may not get sold. I planned on selling it to pay for the 270, but I already have the 270. I have a B&C bedded stock and fitted muzzle brake for it.
Yea creedbro in the middle

My buddy just came up with a good idea. Him and another fellow are going to tag team and build an M1A with a 16" barrel and lightweight folding stock. Might go with a 243. Caliber is still up in the air.
If truck gun you mean swing out the window then your front windshield is not going to like a semi auto.

M1A SocomII with a modular/folding stock. Its a 16" barrel, but the reworked gas system on the SocomII runs everything from spicy handloads to shitty foreign milsurp flawlessly...and you can easily put a full mag into silhouettes out to 600.
Probably one of the best rifles Springfield has ever offered for sale to the public.

Howa makes a howa mini 6.5 Grendel in a folding chassis
I was going to suggest a Howa mini in 6.5G. Factory bottom metal and magazines suck, but there are a few decent aftermarket options, and some really good ones if cost isn’t an option.

I also say that if you want a little more oomph then the 6.5MB or 7mmHT in a compact action (model 7, Ruger compact, etc) will be hard to beat

Back