Ukraine / Russia

https://www.reuters.com/world/middl...y-operations-its-southern-borders-2022-05-23/

Trying to steer train wreck somewhat back on course, I found this interesting. Short version of the article, Turkey is launching military operations on their border presumably with Syria and will go approximately 30 miles in to create a buffer. This will be mainly to eradicate the Kurds, I don’t expect anyone to change their Facebook profile to the Kurdish flag and I’m sure NATO will turn all but a blind eye to this. Is this a potential trade off for allowing Finland and Sweden in the NATO? Turkey gets to eradicate the Kurdish people since they deemed them terrorist.

If you think about it it’s not really any different than Putin saying he’s going to denaziification of Ukraine.

Last edited:
Second point of the day Russia’s blockade of the Black Sea. How would this even work. If Russia sunk a merchant ship from another country trying to export grain is that considered an act of war with that said country? Or chalk it up to you shouldn't have entered an active war zone?

“Britain has backed in principle a proposal by Lithuania for a naval coalition “of the willing” to lift the Russian Black Sea blockade on Ukrainian grain exports.
The Lithuanian foreign minister, Gabrielius Landsbergis, proposed the plan during talks with the UK foreign secretary, Liz Truss, on Monday in London.
“Time is very very short. We are closing in on a new harvest and there is no other practical way of exporting the grain except through the Black Sea port of Odesa,” he told the Guardian. “There is no way of storing this grain and no other adequate alternative route. It is imperative that we show vulnerable countries we are prepared to take the steps that are needed to feed the world.”

https://www.reuters.com/world/middl...y-operations-its-southern-borders-2022-05-23/

If you think about it it’s not really any different than Putin saying he’s going to denaziification of Ukraine.
I'd argue totally different... maybe not from a moral standpoint... but it's a country attacking a non-state actor in a different country that is also at war with that non-state actor.

So I guess if there really was a huge Nazi faction in Ukraine that had been having violent confrontations with Russia...

I don't think Turkey will shell/siege Damascus.

It's a different complicated situation is all I'm trying to say.

I'd argue totally different... maybe not from a moral standpoint... but it's a country attacking a non-state actor in a different country that is also at war with that non-state actor.

So I guess if there really was a huge Nazi faction in Ukraine that had been having violent confrontations with Russia...

I don't think Turkey will shell/siege Damascus.

It's a different complicated situation is all I'm trying to say.
Fair points.
The Kurds have been a ally of the United States and we routinely throw them under the bus.
Gross over simplification ahead.
Assad in Syria is a bad guy with direct ties to Russia. Heck even Erdoğan is not a good guy. That putting it mildly. Why wouldn’t we be heavily supporting the Kurds. Continued destabilization in Syria, is a good thing. Gets under Turkey’s skin, also a good thing. It just seems weird to me that the rest of the world routinely turns a blind eye to the genocide of the Kurdish people.

Is there that much left to shell in Damascus?
Whoever drew up the map for that part of the world after the ottoman empire fell had to be drinking heavily the whole time. What a mess.

My level of concern regarding freewheeling-Biden speak now up a couple more notches.
By now, seems all foreign leaders are well-aware to base their foreign policy decisions on the White House spokesperson instead of the POTUS’ own mouth. Also a saving grace that Biden seems perfectly fine with his gaffes being swiftly corrected.

Nevertheless, maybe an opportune time for dems to announce no re-election bid, giving plenty of time for an alternative candidate to build a campaign. Biden going unscripted in 2029 is hardly imaginable. With Russia/Ukraine settling in to a long slog, I’d like our country to be well-represented from the top, no matter which party wins.

Another scenario is that Turkey does not object to Finland joining NATO, but continues to reject Sweden., since it is Sweden that has the large Kurd population.

The U.S. tends to pick and choose which terrorists to fear. We left Afghanistan, ( Taliban ), but have sent troops to Somalia to fight al-shabab.

The feminist's in America should be outraged at the new laws for women in Afghanistan, but they are silent.

We are sending a substantial amount of money to Ukraine to help them fight Russia. And I am curious as to how this money is spent and who makes that decision. The U.S., Ukraine, ----who controls the purse strings on the money going to Ukraine to help fight Russia's aggression ? Ukraine used and misused funds in the past and the "Christmas Tree" scenario is a distinct possibility in the future. IMHO

Last edited:
I’ve been asked multiple times in this thread about better uses for the money that’s going to the Ukraine. In light of today’s events in Texas I will add three others to the list.
1. School security
2. Funded SRO programs for smaller school Districts
3. The mental health system in America is trash you could probably spend 100 billion not even fix it, but 40 billion would be a good start.

Last edited:
I’ve been asked multiple times in this thread about better uses for the money that’s going to the Ukraine. In light of today’s events in Texas I will add three others to the list.
1. School security
3. The mental health system in America is trash you could probably spend 100 billion not even fix it, but 40 billion would be a good start.
You are confusing a lack of political will power with a lack of money.

You are confusing a lack of political will power with a lack of money.
The first 2 should be no brainers, whatever letter is next to your name.
It’s just another example of not addressing issues at home while sending boatloads of money to cesspools on the other side of the globe.

Second point of the day Russia’s blockade of the Black Sea. How would this even work. If Russia sunk a merchant ship from another country trying to export grain is that considered an act of war with that said country? Or chalk it up to you shouldn't have entered an active war zone?

“Britain has backed in principle a proposal by Lithuania for a naval coalition “of the willing” to lift the Russian Black Sea blockade on Ukrainian grain exports.
The Lithuanian foreign minister, Gabrielius Landsbergis, proposed the plan during talks with the UK foreign secretary, Liz Truss, on Monday in London.
“Time is very very short. We are closing in on a new harvest and there is no other practical way of exporting the grain except through the Black Sea port of Odesa,” he told the Guardian. “There is no way of storing this grain and no other adequate alternative route. It is imperative that we show vulnerable countries we are prepared to take the steps that are needed to feed the world.”
The threat of hunger North Africa and the Middle East is real. I have no idea about the maritime laws regarding blockades (calling for a HT maritime lawyer), but commercial insurance refusal to cover vessels in the Black Sea will be barrier enough unless govts pitch in and cover the vessels.

The first 2 should be no brainers, whatever letter is next to your name.
It’s just another example of not addressing issues at home while sending boatloads of money to cesspools on the other side of the globe.
Not going to derail the thread, but those issues are addressed locally.
I respect your opinion, even if I disagree. A lot of Americans had a similar view in 1939. Hell, many held to the opinion on Dec 8, 1941. History proved them wrong. Hopefully history proves your view wrong as well.

I’ll see your armed school security guards and raise you common sense Australian legislation post Port Arthur

That said, best to get back to Ukraine / Russia so we can finally surpass the Unlimited Sheep thread in forum count!

1. School security
All 3 should be and can be addressed by your state legislature and govoner maybe texas should have used money from sueing to try and over turn a election on security & mental health instead

All 3 should be and can be addressed by your state legislature and govoner maybe texas should have used money from sueing to try and over turn a election on security & mental health instead
Actually, Texas is spending tons of money securing our border, because the current administration in Washington will not.

Back to our original programming . . .

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back