Ukraine / Russia

Not really.

I’ll stick with the BBC, Reuter’s, NPR, and AP versions.

I often go to Breitbart, Vox, BBC, Bloomberg, The Economist and WSJ to read about the same news item. (I can’t bring myself to read the NYTimes or listen to NPR, but that’s a different story). I find it is good to hear all the spins and decide for myself.

Wasn't sure to put this here or in the gas price thread? But this is money finances so... also not sure if yahoo is news is credible, I'm sure someone will let me know.

Last edited:
Canada's skeer'd of our gun crazed culture to invade with their high sticking tactics and believe the fabled Yamamoto (though unconfirmed) quote:

"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."

Toast to the gun crazed Ukrainians!
Can you define "Gun crazed culture" to me. Wait was that on another thread?

Wasn't sure to put this here or in the gas price thread? But this is money finances so... also not sure if yahoo is news is credible, I'm sure someone will let me know.

One question I have is how do we balance our light/heavy crude needs, as increasing domestic production alone does not give us the heavies some refineries and uses need. I wish we could fix Venezuela and get heavy in our hemisphere, but that is a whole other basket of crazy right now.

I’ve followed this thread for the past few days and have read through most of it. I appreciate the different views and information many have posted. It looks like this is only on one rail for the time being, but hopefully gets back on track...

Regardless of your thoughts politically, one thing I have appreciated is the actual journalism that is being broadcasted. You can watch whichever flavor news station you like, as long as it isn’t prime time pundits, and get some decent journalism about the war in Ukraine. One of the stories I watched tonight was a reporter in Poland interviewing refugee Ukrainian women with their children asking where their husbands were. Pretty sad.

I think that Putin/Russia did not account for the real time, first hand accounts and videos of a country under siege. The videos being posted from civilians of apartment buildings being leveled, jets dive bombing and civilians being killed and injured is weighing heavily on the entire globe. Everyone is watching and most are disgusted. It’s an extremely interesting time in history for horrible reasons…

As an aside, and apologies for the derail, but all of this confusion/disagreement over why this is happening has me thinking about how I will soon be teaching argumentative writing to 8th graders. This task is becoming increasingly difficult to accomplish due to the difficulty of gathering and verifying credible evidence to support one’s claims. Those once-reliable sources of factual information are now called into question, even when verified by other sources. And when nothing appears trustworthy, the narrative, or interpretation of science, or historical account, or whatever “version of the truth” that feels right becomes what young people gravitate toward. Maybe most adults too. I’m really not sure if there’s more bias infused across the spectrum today’s traditional reporting outlets or if there’s just more attention called to it, but this idea that nothing is truly trustworthy, and that truth is a whole spectrum of grey that can never really be uncovered and made whole is deeply troubling to me.

Nuance is great. Life is complicated. But I feel like I’m poking a stick in the dark and never touching anything anymore when it comes to trying to understand all the stuff that’s going on right now, and it scares the hell out of me. Not for me, but for my kids.

This was a perspective I had not heard. Seems the US has not kept promises to Ukraine OR Russia. Russia is just able to stand up to us since they have 6k nukes they can hold over our heads.

I do not think it’s unreasonable for Russia to want to feel safe.
Thank you for that. It explains a Lot of what I was trying say. Got a little side track with the nazi thing.

Also, speaking of poking sticks in the dark, I wonder what @Mudranger1 ’s temporary Russian proxy here on HT would have to tell us about all this?

Nah, nevermind. I know what he would have said…
Ahhh with all that was going on I had to flee to the Caribbean for a bit...
20220301_073518.jpg

But I'll post up some TIPS when I get caught up

Your the one that wanted the info. Then you call me a conspiracy theorist after I give you information. I didn't call you stupid I called ignorant. One of the meanings is uninformed But the line is getting pretty blurry with the other meaning.
If you're going to argue, could you please learn the difference between you're (you are) and your (possessive). Whatever the validity of your argument, you're losing audience. See how easy?

One question I have is how do we balance our light/heavy crude needs, as increasing domestic production alone does not give us the heavies some refineries and uses need. I wish we could fix Venezuela and get heavy in our hemisphere, but that is a whole other basket of crazy right now.
~Alberta has entered the chat~
:rolleyes:

1646483500165.png

Nuance is great. Life is complicated. But I feel like I’m poking a stick in the dark and never touching anything anymore when it comes to trying to understand all the stuff that’s going on right now, and it scares the hell out of me. Not for me, but for my kids.
I have a feeling that this same sentiment has been felt by many generations before us, it's just our turn to bear it.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back