Ukraine / Russia

The main newspaper in the Soviet Union was called "Pravda" which translates to "Truth". My Russian studies teacher always said it was only good for wrapping fish in.
There was another paper called Izvestia. Roughly translated, this means 'news'. The Russians had a saying, 'there is no Pravda in Izvestia and there is no Izvestia in Pravda'.

Another podcast, but some thoughts on the content within it. This is a roundtable about America's role in how this came to be, what we should do, and what we shouldn't. To be simple about it, two of the guests see the current American Administration as abjectly failing in their role in this, and one thinks they are doing well.

As war rages, maybe it is inappropriate to ask how we got here or what we could've done to prevent this. But maybe not. Some clips from history discussed in the podcast..

"To Russia, Ukraine can never be just a foreign country.We need a policy aimed at reconciliation." Henry Kissinger - 2014

"The West is leading Ukraine down the Primrose Path and the end result is that Ukraine is going to get wrecked." John Mearsheimer - 2016

"Ukraine's desire to join NATO is not protecting Ukraine and is threatening Ukraine with major war." - Chomsky - 2015

"The 1980s want their foreign policy back." - Barack Obama -2014

The podcast not only discusses how we got here and what we should have done differently, but what we should do today, and the guests disagree fairly vehemently on the level of hawkishnes we should exhibit. This is a really well done podcast, and these guys are experts, and I believe, come by their positions earnestly. Which says something about how confusing this is and how there will be variation in people's takes on this, particularly to guys who are OK at recommending hunting boots and rifle caliber loads.

Excellent discussion. Thanks for posting.👍

... the Russian media says they invaded though?

Russia says they are liberating the country from neo-nazis, but definitely states they have invaded and are bombing the country.
Technically yes, but it's a pretty different set of "facts"
1646427298481.png

I mean there's an entirely different reality being portrayed out there.

I'm not supporting my co-worker, or russia, but just pointing out how scary the implications of mass deception are, and how far down that path humanity already is.

Last edited:
Technically yes, but it's a pretty different set of "facts"

I mean there's an entirely different reality being portrayed out there.

I'm not supporting my co-worker, or russia, but just pointing out for scary the implications of mass deception are and how far down that path humanity already is.
I think my biggest issue right now with folks... both sides of the aisle, Covid and the war in Ukraine, is the characterization of lack of perfect knowledge as an indictment of fact, and/or proof of conspiracy, and then also completely discounting any opinion that isn't popular doctrine.

Our knowledge of Covid is totally different now then in 2020, we have made a lot of changes in policy and recommendations based on what we have observed and learned, and some of the ideas that people were lambasted for as being stupid and reckless having actually been proven to be correct.

All of that is to say... yeah Fog of War. I accept that there are multiple sides to this, everyone is trying to win the PR game... just as they did in every other war. Same time there are some things you can't deny and people are crazy if they do...

Typing this out I remember getting into an argument with a college professor about Vietnam, specifically the second Gulf of Tokin incident. The professor said it happened, their belief was based on news reports, books, speeches, etc, that were published in 1964... ie first hand memories, I said it didn't and based that on Robert McNamara stating specifically that it didn't happen in 2003. Professor said I was repeating a conspiracy theory...

Everyone should probably have some level of skepticism... or you know as the Russians say Doveryay, no proveryay ;)

I think my biggest issue right now with folks... both sides, Covid and not the war in Ukraine, is the characterization of lack of perfect knowledge as an indictment of fact, and/or proof of conspiracy, and then also completely discounting any opinion that isn't popular doctrine.

Our knowledge of Covid is totally different now then in 2020, we have made a lot of changes in policy and recommendations based on what we have observed and learned, and some of the ideas that people were lambasted for as being stupid and reckless having actually been proven to be correct.

All of that is to say... yeah Fog of War. I accept that there are multiple sides to this, everyone is trying to win the PR game... just as they did in every other war. Same time there are some things you can't deny and people are crazy if they do...

Typing this out I remember getting into an argument with a college professor about Vietnam, specifically the second Gulf of Tokin incident. The professor said it happened, their belief was based on news reports, books, speeches, etc, that were published in 1964... ie first hand memories, I said it didn't and based that on Robert McNamara stating specifically that it didn't happen in 2003. Professor said I was repeating a conspiracy theory...

Everyone should probably have some level of skepticism... or you know as the Russians say Doveryay, no proveryay ;)
Hell of a 13k...

I keep returning to a few hard facts.

1) Russia started the hostilites

2) Russia crossed the boundary of a foreign country.

3) For now, all of the hostilities are occurring in Ukraine. Ukraine has not invaded or attacked Russian territory.

4) Russia has targeted civilians. All of the Russians in Ukraine are military and fair game in war.

5) Russia was willing to risk a radioactive leak in an attack on a nuclear power plant.

Based on the above, I'm not buying anything Russia might say. I will give the Ukrainians the benefit of doubt when it comes to any information war.

I keep returning to a few hard facts.

1) Russia started the hostilites

2) Russia crossed the boundary of a foreign country.

3) For now, all of the hostilities are occurring in Ukraine. Ukraine has not invaded or attacked Russian territory.

4) Russia has targeted civilians. All of the Russians in Ukraine are military and fair game in war.

5) Russia was willing to risk a radioactive leak in an attack on a nuclear power plant.

Based on the above, I'm not buying anything Russia might say. I will give the Ukrainians the benefit of doubt when it comes to any information war.

6.) Russia is the largest source of misinformation and fake news, and that includes the US cable news system.

7.) Russia has long history of grievances regarding the Ukraine.

For instance pipelines, the US absolutely has been provoking them in this regard. That being said we also hosed Canada on the Keystone pipeline and they didn't invade the US.

Canada would have invaded, but they know where the poo in their poutine comes from.

Another podcast, but some thoughts on the content within it. This is a roundtable about America's role in how this came to be, what we should do, and what we shouldn't. To be simple about it, two of the guests see the current American Administration as abjectly failing in their role in this, and one thinks they are doing well.

As war rages, maybe it is inappropriate to ask how we got here or what we could've done to prevent this. But maybe not. Some clips from history discussed in the podcast..

"To Russia, Ukraine can never be just a foreign country.We need a policy aimed at reconciliation." Henry Kissinger - 2014

"The West is leading Ukraine down the Primrose Path and the end result is that Ukraine is going to get wrecked." John Mearsheimer - 2016

"Ukraine's desire to join NATO is not protecting Ukraine and is threatening Ukraine with major war." - Chomsky - 2015

"The 1980s want their foreign policy back." - Barack Obama -2014

The podcast not only discusses how we got here and what we should have done differently, but what we should do today, and the guests disagree fairly vehemently on the level of hawkishnes we should exhibit. This is a really well done podcast, and these guys are experts, and I believe, come by their positions earnestly. Which says something about how confusing this is and how there will be variation in people's takes on this, particularly to guys who are OK at recommending hunting boots and rifle caliber loads.

Glad I'm not the only one that doesn't know what's going on, neither do the experts...

Canada's skeer'd of our gun crazed culture to invade with their high sticking tactics and believe the fabled Yamamoto (though unconfirmed) quote:

"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."

Toast to the gun crazed Ukrainians!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back