Ukraine / Russia

Well Russia did a partial mobilization today calling up an additional 300,000 troops. I fear this is going to get more bloodier before the winter sets in.
I would think Putin would just shut the taps off to all of western Europe come winter.

I would think Putin would just shut the taps off to all of western Europe come winter.
Three problems. One is he needs the money. Second, the weapons that are hurting him the most are coming from US and we don’t need his energy. Third, once he strikes on this threat his only other point of leverage is nuclear war - better to twist the knife slowly.

Asking congress for another 15 billion. Having a hard time with where is this money coming from? How long with my grandkids be paying on this.
Fair question. Just roll back the 2017 corporate tax cut and it's paid for. To the larger point, Americans are going to have to address the problem of lack of revenue at some point. Below is a chart for 2021. Half of the "Income Security" category is expense on national debt, and that number is going to go through the roof for 2022.
Tell me what you want to change first. $15B is a nothing. Heck, $200B is nothing if you consider it is going to our long term national security. Our budget is one heck of a problem. Considering that the US budget has been in surplus like 2 years of the last 50, I don't think anyone wants to really tackle the problem.

Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 8.46.27 AM.png

Fair question. Just roll back the 2017 corporate tax cut and it's paid for. To the larger point, Americans are going to have to address the problem of lack of revenue at some point. Below is a chart for 2021. Half of the "Income Security" category is expense on national debt, and that number is going to go through the roof for 2022.
Tell me what you want to change first. $15B is a nothing. Heck, $200B is nothing if you consider it is going to our long term national security. Our budget is one heck of a problem. Considering that the US budget has been in surplus like 2 years of the last 50, I don't think anyone wants to really tackle the problem.

View attachment 241416
When corporations like Walmart and Home Depot have their taxes raised, where do you think that tax money comes from?

Asking congress for another 15 billion. Having a hard time with where is this money coming from? How long will my grandkids be paying on this.
Did anyone ever ask Congress where the money was coming from for the 20 years of war/war on terror we just had?

They asked about a lot of funding issues for everything else, but never a whimper about funding the middle east war. Always found money for that, with no problem.

Last edited:
Asking congress for another 15 billion. Having a hard time with where is this money coming from? How long will my grandkids be paying on this.
I understand your concern. We are in serious trouble debt wise. These weapons are working however, and my understanding is, they are old and almost obsolete to us.

I'll give you two guesses and neither one is executives' paychecks.
Executives for companies like that get paid in stock options. The higher net income goes to the stock’s price where it’s gets a 20x p/e motionless slapped on it, boosting the stock price and making the C-level execs rich.
What the most common argument you hear is “we will need to reduce employee headcount”l if taxes go up”. That is practically comical. I have never seen a company operate with excess people. If a McDonald needs 7 people to adequately serve customers at 20% tax rate, it will need 7 people at a 30% tax rate.

If you want to make corporate taxes 0%, I can support IF you tax the capital gains on the gains the CEOs made exercising their options and eliminate their ability to post those options as collateral for the loan on the new yacht or third home on the Mediterranean coast. And while we are making these changes, let’s cap CEO pay at 10x the median employee.

I don't know anything about corporate tax rates and effects of tax cuts, but I know that in real world America right now the McDonald's that needs 7 employees to serve its customers is getting it done with 5, because there isn't enough help. The hospital where I work is short-staffed almost every night. We're fine if it's a slow night, but a busy night is dangerous. Corporations are not hiring more staff when they need more staff.

QQ

I don't know anything about corporate tax rates and effects of tax cuts, but I know that in real world America right now the McDonald's that needs 7 employees to serve its customers is getting it done with 5, because there isn't enough help. The hospital where I work is short-staffed almost every night. We're fine if it's a slow night, but a busy night is dangerous. Corporations are not hiring more staff when they need more staff.

QQ
And yet their stock holder dividends and top exec bonuses are holding up. Not to mention record profits in many cases.

And back to our original programming . . . .

And to your claim of sanctions working or not...They keep this up and Trump might get a victory lap.

And to your claim of sanctions working or not...They keep this up and Trump might get a victory lap.

I am not optimistic they will be any more successful than Arab spring, but we can hope. And I don't get the Trump reference.

Executives for companies like that get paid in stock options. The higher net income goes to the stock’s price where it’s gets a 20x p/e motionless slapped on it, boosting the stock price and making the C-level execs rich.
What the most common argument you hear is “we will need to reduce employee headcount”l if taxes go up”. That is practically comical. I have never seen a company operate with excess people. If a McDonald needs 7 people to adequately serve customers at 20% tax rate, it will need 7 people at a 30% tax rate.

If you want to make corporate taxes 0%, I can support IF you tax the capital gains on the gains the CEOs made exercising their options and eliminate their ability to post those options as collateral for the loan on the new yacht or third home on the Mediterranean coast. And while we are making these changes, let’s cap CEO pay at 10x the median employee.
The correct answer is the consumer. They pass the cost on to the consumer.

I am not optimistic they will be any more successful than Arab spring, but we can hope. And I don't get the Trump reference.
Trump pulled out of the nuclear deal and put on more tariffs. He would take a victory lap for anything, but if there was a change we could maybe look back on it as a positive. Of course, Iran will probably have a nuclear weapon, so maybe not a total victory.
The correct answer is the consumer. They pass the cost on to the consumer.
Sure. Whatever. We will just live in a fantasy land where everything gets passed on to the consumer and companies are just trying to make a specific magical profit number and there isn’t a real “market”.

It's not consumers either...lowering corporate tax rates is ridiculous. Should still be 35%.

The shareholders can suck it up...

If the boards want to they can sure as hell adjust executive salaries.
Seems no matter how it plays out it the middle class consumer that pays for whatever adjustment that is made. Regardless the intent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back