Caribou Gear

Ukraine / Russia

Phony referendums will path the way for Russia's "defense" of "Russian" land triggering a general mobilization. At least that is my worst fear.

Well Russia did a partial mobilization today calling up an additional 300,000 troops. I fear this is going to get more bloodier before the winter sets in.

Also these 300,000 reserves are just older men who once served decades ago and will probably get a 1 week refresher coarse. Then tossed into the meat grinder with WWII equipment. Such a unnecessary loss of life. Putin apparently is holding back the people in his party that are even more hard lined then him...... I just hope they don't take over and get involved.

Seeking Alpha morning read:

"European Union member states are rushing to complete the eighth round of sanctions against Moscow following an escalation of its war in Ukraine. Vladimir Putin this week announced a "partial mobilization" that will conscript as many as 300,000 troops, while voting just began to annex the four regions of Luhansk, Donetsk, Kherson and Zaporizhzhia, which represent about 15% of Ukrainian territory. The referendums are due to run from Friday to Tuesday, and may be used by Russia to justify further escalations to defend its newly incorporated provinces.

Snapshot: There are many measures being pitched in the latest EU sanctions package, but it could be hard to find a consensus among all 27 members of the bloc. The penalties include removing more Russian banks from the SWIFT international payment system, as well as targeting Russia's tech, cybersecurity and software industries. Other ideas on the table could center around banning luxury goods and diamond imports, but perhaps the most hard-hitting and controversial sanction would be to impose a price cap on Russian oil.

Details are still being discussed, but the plan aims to cap prices at a level close to the cost of Russian production to dent Kremlin finances. To accomplish this, Europe would restrict the availability of transport and insurance services to shippers that agree to observe the price ceiling (~95% of the world's oil tanker fleet is covered by the International Group of P&I Clubs in London and companies based in continental Europe). Another proposal is to limit the usage of U.S. financial services that could benefit from the scheme, but many are skeptical about its effectiveness, with some big Russian buyers like China already paying in yuan and rubles.

Tensions: While hawkish countries like Poland and the Baltic states are demanding the new measures, others feel that it could be tough to get anything more than a limited set of penalties. The last attempt to pass a big sanctions package in June led to infighting in the bloc, as countries led by Hungary refused to sign up to a Russian crude embargo until they were granted an exception for pipeline oil. Things may not be better this time around, as EU legislators just voted to declare that Budapest was no longer a "full democracy," though some say the latest package could get over the line, as it would have much less of an impact on the Hungarian economy than the crude embargo."

The videos from mobilization sites are crazy.
If I had to take a guess everyone of those people that are being arrested for antiwar protest will probably be on a fast train ride to the front line.
The call up of 300,000 reservist is wreaking of desperation. It’s gonna suck to be those guys.

I saw on the BBC that the real document leaked from the kremlin is they're aiming for 1 million male conscripts under the age of 55 from any background and their basic training is 3 days. I guess Putins plan is to toss as many men against the now modernized Ukrainian army. What's next 18th century line formations?

I saw on the BBC that the real document leaked from the kremlin is they're aiming for 1 million male conscripts under the age of 55 from any background and their basic training is 3 days. I guess Putins plan is to toss as many men against the now modernized Ukrainian army. What's next 18th century line formations?
Grapeshot and whatever they call their cavalry

He wants to be the new Stalin. Millions as canon fodder is right out of the playbook.

With the Russian machine gunners behind them threatening to mow them down if they try to retreat...

I like the point in this article that says Russia, China and other large autocrats (maybe Iran, Saudi Arabia, and Turkey) are trying to set international norms that blindly accept their national sovereignty while allowing them to violate the sovereignty of their smaller neighbors.

The West calls out Putin’s imperialism. https://www.startribune.com/the-west-calls-out-putins-imperialism/600209696/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back