Ukraine / Russia

One of the things that has been super interesting to me is this

The hard core conservatives on this forum (and elsewhere) aren’t pro democracy nor pro American. They are pro-autocracy

It’s been super confusing to me why republicans (teardown this wall!) seemingly are constantly and without clear rational excuse pro-USSR all of a sudden. Conservative Americans love Hungary

The hard core conservatives on this forum (and elsewhere) aren’t pro democracy nor pro American. They are pro-autocracy

It’s been super confusing to me why republicans (teardown this wall!) seemingly are constantly and without clear rational excuse pro-USSR all of a sudden. Conservative Americans love Hungary
The mythical fiscal conservative is a fickle beast.

To be fair, some people simply think that any money spent by the US not on US soil is a waste. There are no exceptions. I tend to believe that additional debt on our part doesn't appear to be a big deal. I also don't really understand why that is, but I'm not an expert at macro-economics, but I trust the powers that be more than I trust random peeps on Al Gore's internet.

Back to actual Ukraine coverage...

So, Putin will ultimately get another hobbled poor angry neighbor (Ukraine) and he pushed industrialized Finland and Sweden into the arms of NATO after many decades of neutrality (and at times NATO hostility) all while making Russia a Chinese vassel state - well played Mr Putin. He better watch out or his beloved Stalin or Peter the Great may rise from their graves and kick him in the nuts.

The mythical fiscal conservative is a fickle beast.

To be fair, some people simply think that any money spent by the US not on US soil is a waste. There are no exceptions. I tend to believe that additional debt on our part doesn't appear to be a big deal. I also don't really understand why that is, but I'm not an expert at macro-economics, but I trust the powers that be more than I trust random peeps on Al Gore's internet.

Back to actual Ukraine coverage...
But the money is essentially spent on US soil, isn’t it? I mean, we are essentially sending them out weapons. It seems ok if we build these weapons and allow our military to practice using them on a non-functioning targets, but they are not ok with sending them to Ukraine to be used on live-target Russian equipment. I view it as a great opportunity to learn how the stuff works in practice.

Wouldn’t that be an act of war and no longer just a proxy war.
Why on earth would another country send their troops over to defend Ukraine.
I just don’t see what the endgame is at this point. Continuing to feed Ukraine just enough weapons to keep them going, somewhat, all the while they’re taking losses that are totally unsustainable. At the current rate they’re probably getting killed faster than we can train them on the new artillery and weapons.

I was thinking Putin might be satisfied with his land bridge to Crimea now that it’s fully intact, but with the announcement about new NATO members I have a feeling he’s going to continue to grind Ukraine into dust. Get what he can while the gettins good.

I've been hearing some things about troops mobilizing in neighboring countries. If I had to guess i'm think a D-day like invasion is coming. Which if and when that happens there is your 3rd world war and its only a matter of time before boots are on the ground from our country.

I dont particularly foresee a draft coming as we have a large volunteer force and war tactics are much different now then the last world war. I just dont see how this doesn't happen soon, maybe the next couple of years. I dont think Putin falls back if he fully takes Ukraine, he will continue to move forward imo.

When you say endgame.... I dont think that endgame is clear to anybody. He is looking to take as much as he can.

This is very reminiscent of what was happening to the French in both world wars prior, they suffered for awhile before other countries showed up. and only when they were provoked. I think something bad is gonna happen to some us territory then we will have boots on the ground.

This is getting worse before it gets better i believe.

But the money is essentially spent on US soil, isn’t it? I mean, we are essentially sending them out weapons. It seems ok if we build these weapons and allow our military to practice using them on a non-functioning targets, but they are not ok with sending them to Ukraine to be used on live-target Russian equipment. I view it as a great opportunity to learn how the stuff works in practice.
Lots of different downsides for Putin when US and NATO send arms to Ukraine - here is another:

Once again, assuming those who don't want another war (after a 3-month pause) following 20+ years of American blood spilt essentially for nothing in the mid-East are pro-autocracy is assigning motives you know little about.

Maybe we're just tired of our kids fighting wars. Or, maybe some would rather see the focus on American problems; we have a few. And don't underestimate Biden's ability to stumble into a real war. Remember Obama's cautionary words. And there are Rs and Ds in power who want nothing more than another war, so I don't see this as a conservative or liberal issue.

How many deployments have your children done in the past 20 years? How many of their friends lost limbs/lives? Afghanistan is basically the same except has a new army supplied courtesy of the U.S. taxpayer.

Whatever you may think of Trump, he got us out of wars. Bush/Bush/Biden urging us on. I'll check out again, as I'm obv an anti-war minority. Change the country...

Whatever you may think of Trump, he got us out of wars. Bush/Bush/Biden urging us on. I'll check out again, as I'm obv an anti-war minority. Change the country...

I hear you on the anti-war front. Grace and peace ✌️

I agree, but getting us out didn’t fix the problems. That is why we were there for 20+ yrs. Running away from problems is easy. Fixing problems is hard. Most Americans don’t like the hard stuff.

I'm curious of the resolve Putin / Russia bears to win this war... After all, they remained in Afghanistan for a heck of a long time.
U.S., Saudi, U.K., Pakistan, etc managed leveraging Russia's opposition in that theater, as well. However, I wonder if Ukrainians hold the same war torn, internal fortitude as Afghanis.
Are Ukrainians willing to pay the same price?

Fify. Nobody wins in that situation.
I tend to agree that most people don’t like “hard stuff”. But I think most people identify the “tough” and “hopeless” causes at the outset and avoid them from day one. Americans seem to uniquely rush into these situations colored with an initial belief that our origin story/narrative (defenders of liberty for all) will be embraced by others and carry the day if we just get the ball rolling - only to quit once it falls apart.

I agree, but getting us out didn’t fix the problems. That is why we were there for 20+ yrs. Running away from problems is easy. Fixing problems is hard. Most Americans don’t like the hard stuff.
What got “fixed” by us being there 20 years? I’ll answer that, nothing!

What got “fixed” by us being there 20 years? I’ll answer that, nothing!
I agree. See @VikingsGuy post. There was initially a clear set of military goals but then it turned into a project that had a low chance of success, changing directives, and the for which the military was not trained to do. Ukraine is different. But also there is value in the US maintaining a presence across the globe, so there is risk in leaving and creating a void of power. Consequences that probably won’t be seen for years.

This seemingly endless thread is replete with many varied viewpoints. Some appear based on common sense perspectives of news reports, others based on political, ideological, or personal bent ... however, none with high level Pentagon based experience, expertise or real knowledge and insight regarding global national interest strategy.

It does seem to be a venue for those who enjoy the analysis and the opportunity to vent political, ideological, or just personal perspectives.

This seemingly endless thread is replete with many varied viewpoints. Some appear based on common sense perspectives of news reports, others based on political, ideological, or personal bent ... however, none with high level Pentagon based experience, expertise or real knowledge and insight regarding global national interest strategy.

It does seem to be a venue for those who enjoy the analysis and the opportunity to vent political, ideological, or just personal perspectives.
I believe this is a summary for most threads on Hunt Talk.
We are people that place our public opinion for conservation matters in whatever State we reside and those we seek to support as non residents, as well as the federal level for voting and govt sought opinions / comments. Typically based on your summary and those we, "follow" that we opine (within our anonymity) holds valued experience. Same as politics, etc.

Nature of America. We, the people vote, as best our arm chair QB roles allow us.

Agree with your summary. :)

Spot on, thank you...

Back