Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Uff da! Spoilt meat.

My freezer did that a week ago, we bought in time. No one knows how it got that way. Our best guess is the dogs were horsing around and did it.

Problem is the alarm didn’t work because it was unplugged too. 🤦‍♀️

Ordered a set of freezer alarms tonight. Wife laughed at me and called me paranoid. I said we have $1500 worth of beef sitting in that sucker, why would you not get $30 worth of insurance?

Maybe I should return them and let her clean out any spoiled meat.

Man, that sucks. Had a deep freeze quit on me 4 or 5 years ago, lost fair amount of meat. This past February had some illegals leave my deep freeze open at my hunting camp. Lost a dozen hog quarters, 90 or so quail and about 10lbs of catfish filets. Luckily all my venison was all at the house freezer. Time will heal your pain, as will next hunting season.

I got a really good gut wrenching laugh one year watching a neighbor tip his chest freezer on its side to clean out rotten meat. The Father and his young son dropped the door and both stuck their heads in there at once.
The puking and wretching drama was epic.
The family was a bunch of derelicts so I didn't feel bad.

Echo'ing the freezer alarms. I've got some on mine in the garage - and the family has a couple of shared freezer's and we've put the wi-fi enabled monitor's on those freezers. Last year one freezer went out - and while we caught it in time - it could have easily been a loss.

I lost part of an elk one year (long ago), had it stored in a buddy's freezer when his breaker tripped during the summer. It's always very sad.

I got a really good gut wrenching laugh one year watching a neighbor tip his chest freezer on its side to clean out rotten meat. The Father and his young son dropped the door and both stuck their heads in there at once.
The puking and wretching drama was epic.
The family was a bunch of derelicts so I didn't feel bad.
In college I had a deer stored in a friend's family freezer. Somehow it came unplugged and the mess stunk so bad they had to throw the freezer away. It was a real bummer because I needed the meat real bad and they also didn't have money. I hope it wasn't me that unplugged it!

Eh, you'll have that. I suspect she would rather not throw away good meat n such. I once had to take an entire moose to the dump once. It fell into a river full of dead salmon carcasses. Spoiled the next day. Literally turned green. Big UFF DA MAN.
You'll have that,

I lost some deer capes and a few raw coon hides a few years back due to freezer failure. Luckily everything in that freezer was personal and not for customers. I'd like to know how many people (who don't have freezer alarms) went out to check their freezer after reading this post. I did and I even have freezer alarms now.

Another vote for the freezer alarms.
Planned power outages are a routine thing now where I live. Every time we have one I feel like a new dad hovering over a newborn again.

Oof I hurt for you. We have probably 300 lbs of elk, deer, antelope and pork between 3 deep freezers. We use these freezer sensors. The monitor beeps and also sends push alerts to your phone if temps go out of range. Haven't had any fail on us yet.

MOCREO WiFi Thermometer Hygrometer, with Remote App&Email Alarm, Data History Temperature Humidity Sensor Hub, Wireless Indoor Monitor Gauge for Freezer Alarm Home Greenhouse Garage Wine Cellar, 3Pack https://a.co/d/74igH9o
How long do these batteries last in the sensors?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back