Uff da! Spoilt meat.

I lost some deer capes and a few raw coon hides a few years back due to freezer failure. Luckily everything in that freezer was personal and not for customers. I'd like to know how many people (who don't have freezer alarms) went out to check their freezer after reading this post. I did and I even have freezer alarms now.
Yep, and put a freezer alarm in my amazon cart.

With all that is going on in this country and world you have to pile this on top of everything else that needs to be worried about?lol I am on way to check the freezers now and look into this remote freezer temp monitoring. I would probably need therapy if my freezers died and everything spoiled.

Reminds me of a story a coworker told of this happening to her mother. Went out of town for a couple months to help a family member in another state. Don't remember if the freezer died or if a breaker tripped or what but it was a really big chest freezer that had hundreds of pounds of meat and other stuff. I guess it was so rank that and no one could handle dealing with it. It was located right at an accessible exterior wall and ended up getting help to have someone come cut a hole in the wall, where it was then picked up with a fork lift to get rid of it.

That’s sucks , we lost some a few years back , freezer quit , we had like 3 small to med size freezers full of Elk and deer so we only lost some . But when I moved to Montana I was worried sick about losing what I had left but it survived trip ! The alarm 🚨 sounds cool I’m gonna look into that as well , but even with all the best precautions , in the end sometimes life just happens.

Dang man. That really sucks. I have to deal with PG&E killing my power every time the wind blows. I have my generator close by all the time. I can't imagine how much stuff is lost due to that. I'm really about to put in an automatic turn on whole house generator. Hang in there man. I feel for ya.

Power to my dad’s freezer failed while he was away from home in 2013. Came back to a vile mess. Lost the meat from his first and only antelope (a really big bodied buck) plus a bunch of whitetail venison and possibly some elk I had stored there.

Whitetail is easier to get over, although waste is never good. But I still cringe at the thought of losing all that beautiful pronghorn meat and any elk if it was there.

I was young and foolish and had the stereotypical thirty year old “garage freezer” out in my un insulated garage in a town that routinely saw 105+ degrees in the summer. Came home after a lengthy camping trip over a Labor Day weekend, stopped at the mailbox and looked at the gutter (lived on a corner lot) to see this purple-red tacky filmy stuff that had adhered to the concrete???? WTF??
Looked like liquid silly putty! I grabbed the mail and continued to follow the flow to its headwaters that was coming down the driveway and out from under the corner of my garage door🤦🏼 Freezer had died and a combination stench of a half deer, nearly a whole hog, assorted ducks and geese, Salomon fillets, and a few quarts of ice cream. The smell literally permeated my wife’s (Ex 😁😁) car in the garage as well. The entire past years hunting/fishing season gone in a blink!

Oof I hurt for you. We have probably 300 lbs of elk, deer, antelope and pork between 3 deep freezers. We use these freezer sensors. The monitor beeps and also sends push alerts to your phone if temps go out of range. Haven't had any fail on us yet.

MOCREO WiFi Thermometer Hygrometer, with Remote App&Email Alarm, Data History Temperature Humidity Sensor Hub, Wireless Indoor Monitor Gauge for Freezer Alarm Home Greenhouse Garage Wine Cellar, 3Pack https://a.co/d/74igH9o
I got three of these and they work great. At least until your wife puts a unfrozen piece of venison on top of the sensor.

I found my upright freezer somehow unplugged this morning. No idea how it happened or how long it’s been, but all of the meat is still sub 34 degrees.

An unnamed resident of our household failed to close it properly last summer and it frosted up pretty badly. Never got around to defrosting it. That big old ice ball may be the only thing that saved the meat.

Didn’t take long to find this thread again.

I’ve had @3oh7’s Wi-Fi temp sensors in my Amazon cart since it frosted up last summer. Finally completed checkout today🤦🏻‍♂️. I’ll also be picking up a locking plug tomorrow.

Oof I hurt for you. We have probably 300 lbs of elk, deer, antelope and pork between 3 deep freezers. We use these freezer sensors. The monitor beeps and also sends push alerts to your phone if temps go out of range. Haven't had any fail on us yet.

MOCREO WiFi Thermometer Hygrometer, with Remote App&Email Alarm, Data History Temperature Humidity Sensor Hub, Wireless Indoor Monitor Gauge for Freezer Alarm Home Greenhouse Garage Wine Cellar, 3Pack https://a.co/d/74igH9o
i see they recommend a different model, the ST4, ,for use in a freezer than the ST3 model you recommend?

Oh man. I HATE wasting meat. Last night I discovered my wife had accidentally unplugged the deep freeze. About two weeks ago. Messy, sad job hauling a cut-and-wrapped whitetail buck and several pounds of elk to the dumpster. Took me a while to cool down. How does one prevent that from happening again?

Had something similar happen once, the cheap GFI the freezer was on failed and I didn't realize it for at least a week, I was so bummed out. I had an unused circuit and wired up a dedicated plug for the freezers with a LED nightlight on the outlet so every time I walk past the freezers I can see that the light is on and know they at least have power.

How does one prevent that from happening again?
We have a large chest freezer in which we freeze jugs and other containers of ice for coolers in summer outings. Our freezer is in the mudroom so very visible. We once had a freezer fail, but soon noticed the absence of the light and were able to get a new freezer fairly quickly. The ice containers keep everything cold for a matter of days.
The key is to monitor the freezer, whether with an alarm or merely visually. I'm going to check ours right now!

i see they recommend a different model, the ST4, ,for use in a freezer than the ST3 model you recommend?
Interesting, they released that version after we bought ours. Looks like it moves the unit outside the freezer and uses a wired probe. I'd probably opt for that version as I'm sure the battery would last longer not in the freezer.

I’m super paranoid about my freezers going out. I accidentally unplugged one last year and caught it a day or two later, mostly just lost store bought stuff like pizza and garlic bread. I have three freezers; one for store bought items, one for fully processed game and one for wild game quarters, trim meat and heads/capes.

That store bought items freezer has been through it. Lol My wife has left it open twice, luckily it’s a chest freezer and stayed cold but damn I bet it struggled to stay cold.

I keep frozen ice jugs in every freezer to use for hunting but also it extends low temps should the freezer die/loose power/etc. That has saved my ass more than a few times. I also go check the freezers every couple of days.

I have 4 freezers, 2 upright and 2 chest. I've never had any go out, but I've also never gone more than 24 hours without checking them. 2 are mostly filled with beef, which I've raised and slaughtered and the cost of doing that keeps me on my toes about how those freezers are running. The other 2 have various wild game and taxidermy ready things.

EXCELLENT!

In addition to this, back in Alaska I use moisture sensors at the home water pump, water heater, and bathroom
not in use when we are wintering in Montana.

Knew this was coming. By far the most expensive option. Plus, mistakes happen. If she dumped me for stupid mistakes I would have been kicked to the curb decades ago.
build a detached garage 60+ feet from the house and don't cut the grass around it for a while. they won't go there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back